Old 11-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #21
rdef
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
I received my 9700 on Wednesday. Used it Wednesday evening. Yah know what, not sure if it is a keeper. I immediately switched back to my iPhone 3GS that evening.

The good...

-The trackpad is superb.
-OS is nice, quick and snappy.
-Nice form factor.
-The camera is not bad, nice to have a flash.
-The video recorder is nice.

Other than that, I am not that crazy about it. The device feels VERY small, although a nice form factor. The keyboard is very cramped. The browser absolutely sucks!!! Build quality is decent, but not as good as I would of thought out of RIM's latest device. If the 9000 had the trackpad and better camera, I may consider it. The 9000 is a brick in my opinion. It's much wider and thicker than the iPhone, but possibly doable. The iPhone is a tank compared to BB devices. I guess I will be sticking with my iPhone for now. I did use a BB (8700, 7130, 8100, 8110 and 8900) for about 3 1/2 years prior to getting my iPhone in June.
Who cares...
Old 11-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #22
atuarre

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

This review became worthless the minute the OP mentioned "iPhone". The OP had already determined when he acquired the 9700 that he was going back to the iPhone. I do not take reviews written by such individuals as anymore than an attempt to bring praise to a device that this forum has absolutely very little if anything to do with.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #23
JoeIndy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I think the Android platform will be awesome in about another year or so. It's making some serious steps. The Motorola Droid device is the first really nice piece of hardware to run Android. The Moto UI pieces are slick as well. Right now, the devices/interface isn't there. Yet.

Personally, I'm glad Motorola seems to be heading back up. I think RIM needs some more competition to help drive innovation and I think the Android platform could be the competition.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #24
clitrenta
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Come On Guys....

Not sure what some people are looking for here. I have had my 9700 for a few days and I think the build quality is just fine. The browser has never been as good as the iPhone or even the Android now but hopefully that will change in the near future. As for the rest, I'd still pick it over those other devices but that's just because it suits my needs better. Everyone is diffrent and I'm sure we can all sit here and argue the point til we're blue in the face. If you like iPhone better, then great. Glad it works for you but don't turn other people off of Blackberry just because that's what you think. If you want to browse the internet all day long and want the total multimedia experience, then get one. Otherwise, if you just want a device with great battery and does what it does really well, then get the Blackberry but in the end, it's all a matter of opinion and what you need it to do. For me, that's the Bold. Just my 2 cents
Old 11-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #25
plakius
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon

Every time a new BB comes out someone posts one of these threads .... There are 2 devices iphone and BB ... There is no comparison ... They are 2 completely different devices .... I'm a fan of both ... But for me , all my mail accounts in one inbox and the ability to send from which account i want to without having to go back two screens to switch is more convenient .... also being a horrible speller to have a spell check built into the native environment is super important ... BB is the only one to offer that ... Not Andriod and Not even iPhone ... Sure there is an app but to me that should be standard... when on the go the last thing you want to do is write a response in an app that you can't see the email you are responding to and then spell check it and then copy and paste it ... I also love to have my autotext where i can type certain abbreviations and it'll spell it out .... again that is a BB exclusive ..... Also I love to have control over all my ring tones ..... with iphone's choice of 6 sms rings and the amount of people with one whenever i was in a group setting and someone would receive a text almost everyone with and iphone would look to see if it is theirs ...... I do miss my twitter apps, facebook, and games that help the day pass by on the iphone ... but i have an ipod touch that keeps me happy in that department for now
Old 11-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #26
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by atuarre View Post
This review became worthless the minute the OP mentioned "iPhone". The OP had already determined when he acquired the 9700 that he was going back to the iPhone. I do not take reviews written by such individuals as anymore than an attempt to bring praise to a device that this forum has absolutely very little if anything to do with.
amen brother
Old 11-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #27
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIndy View Post
I think the Android platform will be awesome in about another year or so. It's making some serious steps. The Motorola Droid device is the first really nice piece of hardware to run Android. The Moto UI pieces are slick as well. Right now, the devices/interface isn't there. Yet.

Personally, I'm glad Motorola seems to be heading back up. I think RIM needs some more competition to help drive innovation and I think the Android platform could be the competition.
agree with you 100%
Old 11-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #28
dietcoke

Model: dCoke
Carrier: o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atuarre View Post
totally agree.

I am an I.T. person and I love the Iphone... I love it because it was designed for simple people. People who can't program a universal remote, or RTFM.

I am also a consultant and go many many places and noticed that people with above average intelligence have a Windows mobile or Blackberry. It is just what I have seen day after day.

i know it is nasty to say, and who am i? with what intelligence? but that is my opinion on the matter.

Lastly... I love the IPHONE because it is simple, expensive, and most importantly AMERICAN.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #29
perabyte
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9810
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcoke View Post
totally agree.

I am an I.T. person and I love the Iphone... I love it because it was designed for simple people. People who can't program a universal remote, or RTFM.

I am also a consultant and go many many places and noticed that people with above average intelligence have a Windows mobile or Blackberry. It is just what I have seen day after day.

i know it is nasty to say, and who am i? with what intelligence? but that is my opinion on the matter.

Lastly... I love the IPHONE because it is simple, expensive, and most importantly AMERICAN.
"Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China" American you say? I doubt it. Then again my Blackberry is assembled in Mexico, so yeah.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #30
jzarowitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Old 11-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #31
nickj79

PIN: N/A
Default 8900 vs 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
I agree with u about the build quality 100%! I am a very big blackberry fan, and I always will be. However my iPhone 3gs is just lite years ahead of anything that rim has ever put out as far as construction is concerned. I'm not impressed by the my new 9700. Very loose and shotty feel. Maybe I got a lemon! Either way I'll be sticking to my trusty 8900 for my business line, and rolling with my 3gs for personal. Hopefully Rim will get there act together and stop making phones that all are exactly the same, with the exception of a few chorome pieces. I hope so, cause I would love to have one device that does it all. Let's go Water loo...
Did you notice your 8900 had a better loudspeaker as well?
Old 11-27-2009, 07:17 AM   #32
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj79 View Post
Did you notice your 8900 had a better loudspeaker as well?

They are pretty equal in that department. I'd say the original Bold blows them both out of the water.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #33
wayner9

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

I just got a Bold 9700 a few hours ago. This is about the fifth or sixth BB that I have owned. My first impression is that the keyboard feels a LOT SMALLER. I know the difference in width is fairly small, but it sure feels more awkward for typing. For that I definitely prefer the original Bold and I also prefer the unique look of the original Bold. On the upside the pad should be superior to the ball but that will take a bit of getting used to. I don't think the smaller size vs. the original Bold really matters.

It is somewhat annoying to now have to deal with microUSB as I have several old adapters that I have been using through my house, office, car. It is also annoying that the AC adapter will not work internationally like the last several. I have ordered 5 miniUSB-microUSB adapters from fleaBay that should help to deal with that issue and I guess microUSB is the new standard so we would have to make the switch sooner or later.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #34
wayner9

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zGuy View Post
iPhone = AT&T. Nuff said!
Not for everyone. AT&T is not a global company.
Closed Thread