Old 12-07-2017, 06:37 AM   #1
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Clssc
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Eastlink
Default Remote File Access

Please Login to Remove!

Does anybody know how to set up Remote File Access on the BB Classic? Clicking "Learn more" on BB Link says Remote File Access uses File Manager and to learn "how to use File Manager" tap the Help app on the Home screen. There is no reference to Remote File Access in either File Manager or Help. This is probably nothing I'd ever use, but it would be nice to know how to set it up anyway.
Rolyb
Old 12-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Remote File Access

Remoter file access refers to LINK or DM for accessing the phone. Not remoter access as you may think
Old 12-08-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

BB sure doesn't make that clear. Going to BB Link/Remote File Access/Learn more, I get this:
"Imagine arriving at a meeting, only to discover that a document you need is on your computer. Remote file access lets you use the File Manager app on your BlackBerry device to access and manage media and documents on the computer that BlackBerry Link is installed on. For information about how to use File Manager, tap the Help app on the home screen of your device."
BB link says the access can be by wifi. "...sign in to Blackberry ID and set up remote file access to open view, and save over a WI-FI or mobile network connection."
Rolyb
Old 12-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Agreed, very confusing. File manager on the BB has two or more views. In the lower left of the screen you will see the 3 lines indicating options. when you open the view it will show device ( the BB) or the name of the computer LINK has been previously connected to. In some cases you can use WIFI to connect to the computer. you can "remotely" connect to a computer that is on and it has been linked to a blackberry via Blackberry ID and is using the pre configured LINK to connect to the Blackberry ID Cloud service.

"By default, devices that you add to BlackBerry Link can access the media and documents libraries on your computer if they are associated with the same BlackBerry ID you use to sign in to BlackBerry Link."

Configure LINK to connect to your BB when connected to you computer.

In the remote file section check to see the computer is listed.
check the files allowed list
in the lower left line on the BB , open and select your computer.
It will connect to the computer vi the internet.

One issue is the amount of data you want to see. I found it can take a long time to show the files on the computer if you go over a few meg.

The bigger issue and one that seems to keep my computer from being seen after I upgraded from windows 7 is Windows 10. As stated on the Blackberry site, windows 10 is NOT supported.

System requirements: BlackBerry Link for Windows - BlackBerry Link for Windows - 1.2.4

Blackberry will probably start windows 10 support sometime in 2025 or 2500

Update,
Rechecked to see if anything has changed and even configuring one small file to remotely view , with windows 10 it does not seem to work. Guess I will wait till 2025 and check.

Last edited by tsac; 12-08-2017 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: update
Old 12-09-2017, 06:55 AM   #5
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thank you tsac. Some further questions.
- how do I connect to BB Cloud Service
- where is the "remote file section"
I am already connected to my computer over wifi (Setup/Device Connections) and my pc is "paired". That works fine if my computer is on and I'm within range of my router. BB Link is configured to connect to my computer. I have a pc with Windows 7 which I use for backing up my BB.
Where do I go from here?
Rolyb
Old 12-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #6
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK tsac. I found Remote Access File, and now the remainder of your explanation is clear. I assume that once I "Refresh Devices" and enter the information below, I will be connected to BB Cloud Service. Thanks.
Rolyb
Old 12-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #7
tsac
BlackBerry God

Yes but as I said it is a bit flaky and the amount of data on the computer you want "refreshed" can cause it to never load or be very slow. I have had luck with one or two files but not whole folders. It may be my cell service that causes my issues , not sure.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:11 AM   #8
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK. I set up Remote File Access on my Windows 7 computer, and it worked fine with the test file I designated. As expected, that was the only file showing on the BB in File Manager when the appropriate computer link was selected. So this next question is this:
Before I set up Remote File Access, I was able to link to all the files on my computer. Now, even if I disable Remote File Access but un-checking the box, I cannot get back to linking to all the files on my computer, as I could before setting up Remote File Access.
How do I do get back to linking all my files automatically, as before?
Rolyb
Old 12-09-2017, 09:18 AM   #9
tsac
BlackBerry God

So you were ok with one file worked with remote access. Sounds like the issue I have with multiples.
As for access via LINK you may have to check to insure it sees the computer if your talking about local connection. I have not had issues with local connections.
When your device is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your computer, you can sync your music, pictures, videos, and documents. You can also access your files from your device. For information about how to connect your device to a Wi-Fi network, tap the Help app on the home screen of your device.

By default, BlackBerry Link allows Wi-Fi connections. If your computer doesn't have a Wi-Fi network or you don't want to allow Wi-Fi connections to BlackBerry Link, you can turn off this feature

make sure it is not off
Old 12-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #10
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

My BB is connected to both my computers via wifi. Blend works on both without cable connections. I still can't get my files locally over wifi.
Rolyb
Old 12-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #11
tsac
BlackBerry God

Previously I saw them only when on the same WIFI network. If I moved off or go to cell data they do not show. My suspicion is Blackberry has not continued to update the app and we are seeing bugs. With my current BB OS level I also cannot get LINK to WIFI connect. It will work via cable. the only thing I can think of is the computer is using Windows 10( which sucks)

I think your issue may be the LINK app is at fault

Last edited by tsac; 12-09-2017 at 01:23 PM..
Old 12-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #12
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Shouldn't be. It worked right up until I connected to Remote File Access.
The other anomaly is that in trying to get back to the local file access, I deleted the access folders in the Remote Access set-up page. Now that page will no longer allow me to select files in the area of "Share the following folders with remote devices:" The table no longer exists.
I uninstalled and reinstalled BB link and Blend, but that didn't help. Nor did restarting my computer and BB. I also clicked on Documents on the left hand side of the Home page of BB Link, then right clicked on All Documents/Sync with/Computer. That allowed me to access my computer files on BB Blend, but still not on the BB device.
Everything else seems to work, including wireless connection to BB Blend.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #13
tsac
BlackBerry God

You got further than I did. I cannot get LINK to work via Wi-Fi
I'm betting the App is buggy.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #14
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

It's Blend that I have working with wifi, and it's on my Window 7 computer.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:23 AM   #15
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Something important I forgot to say is that the local access of my computer files on the BB works perfectly with my Windows 10 computer. So:

- WIFI Blend works on both computers
- WIFI Media Sync (local files) works fine with my W10 computer but not my W7 computer
- Backup and Restore works on my W7 computer
- Restoring BB 10 Desktop Software on my W7 computer does't solve the problem

Thus the problem cannot be with the BB device software or the BB Desktop Software as it's installed in my W10 computer.
Somehow, the Remote File Access changes I did, that caused the problem, must be retained either in my W7 computer or BB Cloud and then put back into any new BB Desktop Software when it's re-installed (probably when asked to sign in). I can't think of any other explanation.

Last edited by Rolyb; 12-10-2017 at 06:26 AM..
Old 12-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #16
tsac
BlackBerry God

I think the interaction of various apps on a computer may interact when Windows 10 is the OS and can cause weird issues. I have two computers running win 10 but at different levels and from different manufacturers with pre loaded apps. One works on some apps the other will not. It may be the reason Blackberry does not support Win10
Old 12-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #17
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes, who knows. If I solve it I'll post the answer.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #18
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Got it! In BB Link, go to "This Computer" at the top. Then "Remote File Access". Then expand the screen until you see a little box on the right hand side. Click that and then select the files you want transferred. The table comes up with the files selected. This is where I went wrong. The little box was off the screen so I didn't see it, and without it, files for transfer cannot be selected. That's all there is to it. I went to my BB, opened Files, selected my W7 computer, and there were the files. And I think this procedure combines Remote File Access and Wi-Fi Media Sync for local file transfer.
Whew.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #19
tsac
BlackBerry God

Very Good. I previously did see the boxes you mention and did select the files I wanted to be able to transfer. So far the Win 10 on one of my computers still refuses to work.
I will play around with my win 7 computer a bit more.
Thanks
Old 12-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #20
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

I tried RFA today in a remote location, and it didn't work. It's possible that my computer went into sleep, but I think not. In any case, in trying to find out why RFA didn't work, I noticed in BB Link/Remote File Access, that the files to be shared are greyed out. Is this the way it should be, or is there something that should be done to bring them up and thereby activate RFA? By the way, the box beside Blackberry above "Refresh Devices" is and was checked.
Rolyb
Closed Thread