BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
7100simpleisbetter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile
Default 9530 Unlocked edge to EDGE!! FIXED!!!

Please Login to Remove!

I thought I would post an update to this thread since I didn't get any responses because either no one else had this problem or no one has been able to figure out the solution. Well if it is the latter then maybe this will help. It is a little soft right now as I was just tinkering around and finally got EDGE to appear and I am running strong for 1.5 days now.

Here is what I did last and everything worked. If you have lowercase "edge" try this and post your result. This has only been tested on an unlocked 9530 on T-Mobile US with BIS plan and AT&T as the other GSM carrier in the area.

Go to Options>Mobile Network
Change Network Selection Mode to Manual
Click Menu (BlackBerry Button on device) and select My Preferred Network List
Select AT&T on the list, Click Menu and Select Delete
Select TMobile on the list, Click Menu and Select Delete

Close the My Preferred Network List and from the Scan Results of manual network selection click on AT&T (or try another carrier if AT&T isn't available) and click Add to Preferred List.

On AT&T, Click Menu and choose "Select Network"

Wait a few minutes, it will say SOS, you may get a message about emergency calls only. Eventually, mine turned to EDGE even though on AT&T but dropped all the Host Routing Table entries from TMO on my device.

It gave me a 523 error and had to reset (battery pull). When it rebooted, I had to go into Mobile Network and select Automatic for Network Selection Mode and TMOBILE returned with full EDGE service and all my service books were dumped on the devise.

Below is my original post for anyone to see what was going on to see if their problem is similar.

Good luck and leave you feedback, I will try to help if you are running into snags. Like I said I got to this by trial and error.....and there was a lot of error so be patient.

OP:
I know I am not the only one with this question so I am creating a thread as I have searched for two days and have not found the answer. Once we get the info to get this working I will post a thorough step by step but need help before we get there.

I have an unlocked 9530 with a TMO SIM that has the BIS plan activated and working from my 8120 in my Storm. I get it to recognize the sim and it shows T-Mobile at the top and "edge" (note it is all lowercase). I have tried the get everything working methods and loaded the generic service books and had the icons for browser, etc but still "edge"

I have see others have been successful at getting it to be "EDGE" (note all uppercase) which is required for true data services.

My brief diagnostics have found the following:

1. HRT is empty, no records at all which is typically an indicator of a problem but not sure how to remedy the problem.

2. I can surf the web using the WAP browser even in "edge" mode

One last note I updated my TMO BIS account to point to my Storm (entered the PIN and IMEI number no problem) and even tried sending service books to no avail.

Any help is appreciated I can answer any questions you may have.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by 7100simpleisbetter; 12-06-2008 at 05:11 AM..
Old 12-06-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
7100simpleisbetter

Check out OP, I updated to include what seemed to fix my problem...disclaimer, the method by result in roaming charges but I cannot confirm or deny that yet since I haven't seen the bill yet. I wouldn't expect it to be much though as there was minimal data passed and no phone calls while on the other network.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:22 AM   #3
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Follow the directions I outlined in the link below. This will get everything working on EDGE and you'll be able to send the service books with no problem. I am attaching the T-Mobile service books for you also.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...need-help.html
Attached Files
File Type: zip tmo_servicebooks.zip (2.4 KB, 660 views)
Old 12-06-2008, 05:38 AM   #4
7100simpleisbetter

Jason,

Thanks for the link. This method gets the missing service books on the device but did nothing for my edge problem.

That is why I created this thread initially and why I have updated to help others with the same problem.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
Carrier: Rogers

I'm not quite sure why you only have edge, and not EDGE. If your device is unlocked, you have a BlackBerry Data plan, and follow those instructions you should have EDGE instead of edge.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:00 AM   #6
ekelley1985

Model: 8900
PIN: >Options >Status
Carrier: T-Mo

did you guys ever figure this problem out? i have the same issue. it works for like a few hours then goes back to edge!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
ekelley1985

Model: 8900
PIN: >Options >Status
Carrier: T-Mo

This POS 9530 storm keeps going back to "edge"

I get it working with T-Mobile for about 20hours then back to "edge" for no reason it just switches back!

I can get it to go to "EDGE" if I follow the steps below but I just have data and BIS only no cellular voice service. All blackberry internet service stuff works, send/receive email, bb messenger and ability to surf on wap browser, but if I try to make a call it says call failed and switches back to SOS

Here is what I did

Select T-Mobile on the list, Click Menu and Select Delete

Close the My Preferred Network List and from the Scan Results of manual network selection click on AT&T (or try another carrier if AT&T isn't available) and click Add to Preferred List.

Wait a few minutes, it will say SOS, and you may get a message about emergency calls only. Eventually, mine turned to EDGE even though on AT&T but dropped all the Host Routing Table entries from TMO on my device.

I tried going back to network selection and choosing T-Mobile and I get SOS, GSM then "edge"

So I put it back to ATT network mode then I get "EDGE" all BIS stuff works I get all registration messages then I tried a battery pull then switching back to T-Mobile network and still get "edge"

Yes I have the generic service books, yes I have followed pltaylors guide several times & yes my device is unlocked.

Ixxx8217;m on T-Mobile with 9530 storm

also I can put my T-Mobile sim card back into my old curve 8310 att unlocked device and instantly get registration messages and "EDGE" T-Mobile and EVERYTHING works perfect with the curve! So I donxxx8217;t believe I have a problem with my sim card.

Please help!!!!!!!!! anyone!!
Old 01-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
black betty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: PRICK
Carrier: TMO/AT&T

I am thinking this might be os related, as i am starting to see this my self. i went bk to .83 and i have not seen "edge" again only EDGE.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
BiggJayBK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 243070B3
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thank you I think this worked for me i am using .178

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7100simpleisbetter View Post
I thought I would post an update to this thread since I didn't get any responses because either no one else had this problem or no one has been able to figure out the solution. Well if it is the latter then maybe this will help. It is a little soft right now as I was just tinkering around and finally got EDGE to appear and I am running strong for 1.5 days now.

Here is what I did last and everything worked. If you have lowercase "edge" try this and post your result. This has only been tested on an unlocked 9530 on T-Mobile US with BIS plan and AT&T as the other GSM carrier in the area.

Wait a few minutes, it will say SOS, you may get a message about emergency calls only. Eventually, mine turned to EDGE even though on AT&T but dropped all the Host Routing Table entries from TMO on my device.

It gave me a 523 error and had to reset (battery pull). When it rebooted, I had to go into Mobile Network and select Automatic for Network Selection Mode and TMOBILE returned with full EDGE service and all my service books were dumped on the devise.

Below is my original post for anyone to see what was going on to see if their problem is similar.

Good luck and leave you feedback, I will try to help if you are running into snags. Like I said I got to this by trial and error.....and there was a lot of error so be patient.

OP:
I know I am not the only one with this question so I am creating a thread as I have searched for two days and have not found the answer. Once we get the info to get this working I will post a thorough step by step but need help before we get there.

I have an unlocked 9530 with a TMO SIM that has the BIS plan activated and working from my 8120 in my Storm. I get it to recognize the sim and it shows T-Mobile at the top and "edge" (note it is all lowercase). I have tried the get everything working methods and loaded the generic service books and had the icons for browser, etc but still "edge"

I have see others have been successful at getting it to be "EDGE" (note all uppercase) which is required for true data services.

1. HRT is empty, no records at all which is typically an indicator of a problem but not sure how to remedy the problem.

One last note I updated my TMO BIS account to point to my Storm (entered the PIN and IMEI number no problem) and even tried sending service books to no avail.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 07-08-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
Carmel Valley Homes Agent
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Glad you worked it out. Thanks for the update.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Quote:
Jason,

Thanks for the link. This method gets the missing service books on the device but did nothing for my edge problem.

That is why I created this thread initially and why I have updated to help others with the same problem.

as i used to have the 9530 and went to the 9500 the best os sad to say is Applications: 4.7.0.76
Software Platform: 4.0.0.96

when it comes to EDGE to edge. when i had it on mine on the att network my EDGE stayed up all the time and never dropped. the only time it would drop was when i upgraded to the new OS.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #12
madrabbitt
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 305DF5EC
Carrier: T-mobile

Posting to bookmark for future reply.

I started losing my EDGE on my unlocked storm on t-mo after i updated it to the most recent OS.

I followed the "Set to 2g only, turn off mobile network, then reestablish" and that mostly worked, until i started using my browser, and kept loosing EDGE (but the browser works on edge... other things dont)

I'm following the instructions in the original post now.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:20 AM   #13
synenergy52
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000

You are the man. This worked. All I did was set it to GSM then AUTO. None of the other stuff you told me to do seemed to be required but what the heck. it worked =) thanks!

Quote:

OP:

Thanks in advance!!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:33 AM   #14
chevez
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000

This process isn't working for me. I tried a few other things in the past and they worked for awhile but eventually crapped out. My "edge" goes to "EDGE" randomly throughout the day but never stays on for more than a few minutes. I tried using a hybrid os with the .109 CDMA file and the worked for a good month but eventually stopped working for unknown reasons. I've laoded the service books and that didn't help. I've tried using the instructions above and nothing has worked. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
robinla75

Default OS may be the issue

When i downgraded the EDGE never went away. When i upgraded i began having the same problems (edge). So i may just downgrade again with the hopes that it will work again.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #16
madrabbitt
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 305DF5EC
Carrier: T-mobile

I mentioned this in the other thread, but its worth repeating here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt View Post
T-mobile (US):

1. make sure you're set to GSM/UMTS, and 2G
2. in TCP/IP uncheck both apn and apn authentication... thats correct. dont even put a t-mobile APN in there... MOST apps will run over the blackberry native connection...

BTW, the most stable OS load i've found so far for unlocked 9530's on t-mobile has been the 151 hybrid with the .90 radio
.151 by itself is iffy, and .148 was never stable for me, even with an older radio.

Also, BerryBuzz is VERY helpful in this case, if you set the idle alert to "no radio/no data" and use a bright obvious indicator with a fast flash.