BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #61
jacob neufeld neufeld

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: MSN Careers - Are You Using the Wrong Résumé? - Career Advice Article -

Please Login to Remove!

really help.. thanks!
Old 02-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #62
guiyoforward

Model: 8900
Carrier: movistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
You are the exception here for people who post and don't have data plans. The majority are people who do are trying to get something for nothing. That is what gets tiresome and frustrating for the regulars here. Don't take the remarks personally because they are not directed at you -- they are the result of scores or maybe hundreds of posts by people who are trying to use features and do what they are not paying for.
how about I HAVE A DATA PLAN AND NO CELL COVERAGE IN CERTAIN AREAS WHERE WIFI IS PLENTIFUL??
Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #63
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

why ARE YOU SHOUTING?
Old 02-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #64
guiyoforward

Carrier: movistar

´Cos I don´t like being called a "low-life skeezer".
As I am proving in a related post, the generic java Gmail app works over wifi, while the Blackberry-specific version does not. So claiming that having a Blackberry without a data plan is like having a car with no fuel is kinda silly - it might be a car without some luxury options, but calling someone a low life skeezer because he/she ˇs not able to afford luxury options sounds immoral to me. This is not anymore a BB-attached piece of portable hardwawre, it's a portable computing platform. The saddest thing is that the people sohuting for the BB data plan are probably not even getting a commission. Their loss!
Old 02-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #65
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

I make a ton of commission of BB data plans
Old 04-13-2010, 04:57 AM   #66
tantotea

Model: 8250
Carrier: Singtel
Default disappointing

Other phones can download and install apps via whatever network connection is available.
But BlackBerry cannot? What a biz
Old 04-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #67
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantotea View Post
Other phones can download and install apps via whatever network connection is available.
But BlackBerry cannot? What a biz
Not from AppWorld.

Other vendors, yep. Like mobihand.com
Old 04-17-2010, 07:22 AM   #68
Gussy2000

Carrier: AT&T

Just got the 8900 about a week ago as a free upgrade. I'm not getting a data plan...for now. I got a BB because, 1) IT WAS FREE and 2) I needed it to use as a PDA more than I need to run around tweeting people.

It's stupid that you can't utilize apps through a WiFi connection. I'm not a network engineer but I'm going to guess it has less to do with technology and MUCH more to do with cell carriers and RIM wanting to make more money. After all, you don't need a data plan to use Apple's App store (at least not on the Touch) which is why Apple has such a hefty revenue stream from downloads. I guess RIM is not trying to make any real money on its apps.

This is NOT a BB vs Apple commentary. I like both devices. Apple's interface, touch tech and browser are superior but I like the fact you can expand the memory on the BB and that it has a good camera.

I'm demanding too. The 8900 is not 3G and even if it were the passthrough on 3G is not worth $30 extra bucks in my opinion. When you can stream full 1080p full screen while driving 70 mph in a car over a cellular network let me know and I'll sign up.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #69
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

It's not about a money grab with BlackBerrys. It's more about the architecture of the BlackBerry system. All data goes through the RIM servers, and to do this the device has to authenticate itself. That's done through the BB data plan. That's why you need the plan even to use WiFi for BB data features. You can use WiFi and an alternate browser without the plan, but you just can't download anything. Opera Mini and Bolt are both available as alternative browsers.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #70
Gussy2000

Carrier: AT&T

Well then the architecture could be changed.

Oh and the Pandora app from Crackberry.com DOES work using only the Hotspot browser/WiFi. Facebook does not but then Facebook has been sucking more and more. Sorry I digress.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #71
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

And the bottom line answer to the ubiquitous question "why" is simply "because that's how it works". Of course, you are free to complain, and powerless to change it.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #72
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

BlackBerry's architecture has a proven track record of working. If you don't want to work with the parameters RIM has established, there's always the iPhone or some other flavor of mobile device. Nokia's E-series devices are pretty decent.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:18 AM   #73
mengchu

Carrier: Tmobile Family 1000+Web2go
Default Yes, you can

I do not have a data plan(BIS or BES), and I am just using a web2go and paying $10/month.. I have tried an off-air installation of BB app world from a Chinese website called berrytimes.
link:
berrytimes.cn/2010/02/18/blackberry-app-world/

and it works for my 8900, thru my home wi-fi only!!

I have translated it to English. And attached the .zip file which worked for my Tmo QWERTY 8900 Curve. My OS is 5.0.0.461.

The way to use:

1 connect your BB to your PC with USB
2 extract the files from the .zip file.
3 run install.bat
4 wait several minutes for your BB to restart.
5 Enjoy!

If you want to uninstall, just run the uninstall.bat.

Tips:
If the round "app world icon" appears on your BB main menu after restart, you probably could not click your trackball on it. This happened to me.
Try to change the theme back to the default one. (for me it is named Precision T-mobile) And I found it could be clicked. This app world really rocks!

Hope this will help. I am not sure if it could be useful with the touchscreens but this worth a try if you do not have a data plan and want this app world.
Attached Files
File Type: zip appword_QWERTY.zip (535.7 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by mengchu; 05-30-2010 at 12:24 AM..
Old 05-30-2010, 12:24 AM   #74
mengchu

Carrier: Tmobile Family 1000+Web2go

If the attachment does not work, there are some other trick ways.
You can download a BB simulator on your PC and install it.
Use the simulator to fake a phone to download the appworld. It will need JFK or JRK env'ment to install but you can skip it.
And you need to download Blackberry MDS simulator to make your fake phone to connect with internet.
Then you can get the app downloaded on your fake phone on your PC and export the app with some software named WINLoader to generate a .jad or .alx and .cod on your PC....
That was difficult and complicated to do but I am sure you could do that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengchu View Post
I do not have a data plan(BIS or BES), and I am just using a web2go and paying $10/month.. I have tried a off-air installation of BB app world from a Chinese website called berrytimes.
link:
berrytimes.cn/2010/02/18/blackberry-app-world/

and it works for my 8900, thru my home wi-fi only!!

I have translated it to English. And attached the .zip file which worked for my Tmo QWERTY 8900 Curve. My OS is 5.0.0.461.

The way to use:

1 connect your BB to your PC with USB
2 extract the files from the .zip file.
3 run install.bat
4 wait several minutes for your BB to restart.
5 Enjoy!

If you want to uninstall, just run the uninstall.bat.

Tips:
If the round "app world icon" appears on your BB main menu after restart, you probably could not click your trackball on it. This happened to me.
Try to change the theme back to the default one. (for me it is named Precision T-mobile) And I found it could be clicked. This app world really rocks!

Hope this will help. I am not sure if it could be useful with the touchscreens but this worth a try if you do not have a data plan and want this app world.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #75
kimo_kris

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengchu View Post
If the attachment does not work, there are some other trick ways.
You can download a BB simulator on your PC and install it.
Use the simulator to fake a phone to download the appworld. It will need JFK or JRK env'ment to install but you can skip it.
And you need to download Blackberry MDS simulator to make your fake phone to connect with internet.
Then you can get the app downloaded on your fake phone on your PC and export the app with some software named WINLoader to generate a .jad or .alx and .cod on your PC....
That was difficult and complicated to do but I am sure you could do that..
Hi I tried the first procedure you mentioned but it didn't worked for me. I wanna try the alternative you mentioned but it's way too complicated for me. If it wouldn't much of a burden, can you do the procedure for me? Thank you!
Old 06-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #76
hightack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Boost Mobile

BB Appworld has changed. You should be able to download BB Appworld to your phone through your PC. Just connect your phone to the PC go to the Blackberry site, find the Appworld download and click download through PC. You must use IE Explorer and allow Activex.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #77
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightack View Post
BB Appworld has changed. You should be able to download BB Appworld to your phone through your PC. Just connect your phone to the PC go to the Blackberry site, find the Appworld download and click download through PC. You must use IE Explorer and allow Activex.
But you're still not going to be able to use App World without ........................ wait for it ...........................
A BlackBerry Data Plan.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #78
strais

Model: 8520
Carrier: Mtel
Default not working wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
But you're still not going to be able to use App World without ........................ wait for it ...........................
A BlackBerry Data Plan.
Hi!
I have different problem,
i don't have an data plan and i don't need it too.. i just want to use the internet on my Blackberry but i can't! it always charge me $ when i'm connected with my mobile op. but when i'm "off network op." i can't use my wifi ? any ideas..? is there a problem with the gprs or..?
Old 06-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #79
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

You have to have a BlackBerry data plan to use the internet. Even over WiFi. Using services over WiFi won't count against your data allotment (if you don't have an unlimited plan) but you still need the data plan on your account to connect with the BlackBerry infrastructure.

A generic data plan will allow simple web browsing through a third-party browser like Opera Mini, but you won't be able to download a single kb of data. No maps for GPS. No email, BB Messenger, etc.

Last edited by rambo47; 06-06-2010 at 08:35 PM..
Old 06-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #80
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

There's a FAQ for that: What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ
Closed Thread