Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
hayabusa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular
Cool OTA WIFI Activation

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone set this function up on there BES server. I am trying to figure out what the settings I would use for this. What would I put in for the smtp server address or would I just check mark Use MX Lookup to obtain SMTP Server and leave it at that. If this works does this mean that my 8820 users can just activate their devices using our WIFI Lan instead of a data plan??
Old 02-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Ugg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: O2

In most cases I'd expect that "Explicitly provide SMTP server name and port" is the way to go - in some cases I'd expect an MX record for the domain to be an external address that might not be accessible from inside the LAN. If nothing else is available, it should be possible to set up the Exchange Server (or whatever) to accept SMTP in from the BES. The "server port" seems to refer to the client port number to use rather than 25 for SMTP, which seems odd to me.

My understanding is that you'll need new 8820s to be first turned on with a SIM card with a data plan inside. Once the initial service books have loaded, you should then be able to enterprise activate over WLAN without GPRS enabled. I don't think that I've ever tried it without a SIM at all though, so best to try it before making any promises.

If you want users to enterprise activate over WiFi they'll need to supply the name of the Blackberry router in the third box (which will usually be the BES of course).
Old 02-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
hayabusa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular
Cool

Do you know what port we are suppose to use in there? I know that if you try to enter port 25 it refects it and tells you that the port must be of an higher value. Would we be puting in our router port for this setting??
Closed Thread