Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Flare3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers, Telus, Orange
Default Initial Impressions - first 12 hours

Please Login to Remove!

This is a great feeling device. The interface is slick. But, here are some of the initial issues I've seen. I would be interested in known if others have been seeing these problems and hopefully found a work around.

I'm finding the touch screen lags just a little more than my 9900. I need to touch and hold to activate a control, where as on the 9900 it accepted the input right away. Minor, and something I know I would get used to.

The biggest issue, I'm seeing has to do with email. This isn't something I was expecting. I've set my mail account in the setting to not show filed and sent items, but my mailbox is still filled with them. This is on an ActiveSync connection to an Exchange 2003 server. I hate to say it, but this is a deal breaker for me, having all (not really all, but about 2000 for the last 30 days in this account) my emails in one folder makes it frankly useless. If I'm willing to drill down the folder structure to get to my inbox, than I can see the real current items, but it's too many steps.

Reading RIMs knowledge base suggests as with my other devices I'm able to use ActiveSync with GMail, however when I try all I get is a 403 error, saying this should work soon. So IMAP it is, not so bad, but I wanted to see if the same sent/filed issue would happen here as well.

I will test this against Exchange 2007 and 2010 later today.

It's strange the screen on my 9900 feels bigger than the Q. When I open emails I see the full width of the body, but on the Q the first thing I seem to need to do is zoom out.

Also the visual controls seem larger, so it feels like I can see less on the screen even thou it really shows the same amount or a little more, but with the larger size it feels like it shows less.

I really miss the Application shortcut option, this was a real productivity booster, and something I was hoping would be kept. Like wise I was looking forward to the quick dials for the phone.

The phone has told me several times that it could charge faster using the charger supplied with it, the funny thing is that I was charging it with that charger.

On my 9900 with Rogers, I had 2 phone numbers using there second line service. The Q10 does except calls on the second line, however if fails to identify them as such, and there is no way I can find to place calls on the second line.

I'm happy to see the ability to do a carrier unlock is much easier.

Like wise to see a much faster boot time on the device. It seems to be about twice as fast booting as my 9900. And I'm really happy to see I that the hated wait clock seems to be gone, or at least hasn't shown it face yet...

The transition to the "new" keyboard design I found to be very smooth and had no issues picking it up and typing as I did on my 9900. In the past I've seen it take a few days to relearn the keyboard when switching devices.

So there you go, my initial $0.02. If you've had some of these issue and found a way to fix them, I'd love to know. I can live with most of these in the short term, except the email issue. So for now my primary device stays as a 9900. Likely in two weeks the Q will go back. :(
Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND
Default Re: Initial Impressions - first 12 hours

Yeah, I do prefer the Z10 personally.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

ActiveSync with Gmail should not be working.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I think the keyboard junkies are going to have quite a learning curve..
Old 05-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Flare3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Its interesting...here's the kb article I found that described it working:
KB33472-How to integrate a Google Apps email account using Microsoft ActiveSync

This is one that didn't come up this morning (or at least I didn't see it, when using the same search string I just used) saying it doesn't work...lol
KB33798-BlackBerry 10 smartphone displays the error message "Service for account <account name> is not available, access should be available soon error 403" when trying to integrate a free Gmail account via Microsoft ActiveSync

Oh well, I was hoping to use that to test part of my ActiveSync issue...guess I'm back to setting up a couple of test Exchange servers...
Old 05-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Flare3
Thumbs Must Hurt

lol...I think I resemble that comment about being a keyboard junkie...
Old 05-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Flare3
Thumbs Must Hurt

The sent and filed issue was corrected by doing a device wipe and reconfiguring the email accounts, just cause its a new device do a wipe first...
Old 05-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
toneybad

Model: 9800
PIN: 23A158CB
Carrier: fido

love my Q10 RIM/BLACKBERRY needs to do something quick about the call. 30 days will not work, my old 9900 had call from 2010 and that one of the things i love about blackberry.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneybad View Post
love my Q10 RIM/BLACKBERRY needs to do something quick about the call. 30 days will not work, my old 9900 had call from 2010 and that one of the things i love about blackberry.
Huh?
Old 05-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #10
david_uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodafone

Context: I was devoted to BB until 2010 when high hosted BES/carrier fees "forced" me to become an iSheep. Never comfortable with that overhyped platform, I've recently been using WP8 (good) but wanted to find a way back to BB and a physical keypad.

Reading that BB10 supports ActiveSync, I went to play with a Q10 in Selfridges London where reports suggested they'd been flying off the shelves. There was certainly a big and popular display. The guy who demo'd was keen to show off Q10's camera and social networking features but if he'd listened he'd have caught that I'm a business guy over 18 who emails, tweets and reads Bloomberg and could he tell me how to set up my Exchange account and was there an app for The Economist? Unfortunately he couldn't get past Settings.

Now I'm not judging what looks to be a promising handset by a sales pitch, but I came away wondering if BB's natural simplicity hadn't been subsumed by the smartphone features arms race.

Combining a physical keypad with touch screen functions just doesn't seem natural, or perhaps millions of us now take touch for granted. Either way, I'll be following this thread some more before jumping back in.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_uk View Post
Combining a physical keypad with touch screen functions just doesn't seem natural, or perhaps millions of us now take touch for granted. Either way, I'll be following this thread some more before jumping back in.
Several years ago, BlackBerry had already combined touch and keyboard, both with the 9800 and 9900 series. Very popular devices.

The world, for the most part, has moved on to touch. There is still a very vocal group that insists on keyboards and the Q10 is for them. There will be quite the learning curve as the OS is totally different. How well BlackBerry integrates the keyboard into BB 10 is the main question for me.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
steakman
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2826774b
Carrier: Telus-Personal/Rogers Work

I will add to first impressions: Just got mine this past weekend.

Machine issues. (At least for me).

1. On every earlier model (been here since the 8830 World Model), I could hold the alt key and press and hold either the period, exclamation or question key (or for that matter any upper case figure - especially numbers..!!), and any of them would multiply automatically till I let go of both keys.

This DOES not happen on the Q10...Why not.? Dont ask me why I would do that...I do and the fact that I cannot makes it a Big irritant.

2. On the main purple screen one sees alerts on the left hand side. It would seem natural for me to press either alert that has a red star and go automatically to that menu or application. Does not happen. Why not BlackBerry.

3. I find it hard sometimes - actually a lot of the time to minimize an open screen in order to open another. It can take 4 or 5 swipes up to do so...and I have a PB so I am used to doing this.

4. On the only social network I use - Facebook and mostly to read the National Post articles that come up (BECAUSE NP does not have an app yet for the Z/Q10 platform.!!), I find the screen becomes extra sensitive. Is there a way to increase/reduce sensitivity on the screen.? If not, then that is something for a later update as are all the above.

I know this in not the sub forum for app related issues. But it totally blows my mind that in 3 cases, major outfits that cater to the business crowd have just recently (in the last 6 months), come out with BlackBerry Apps that bloody well dont work with the Q10.!! Incredible foresight I must say...NOT.

TD Trust
PC Financial
National Post

And to say that pisses me off is a huge understatement given I use two banks - one for personal and the other for business. Sent both of them not so nice letters this am. I was nice k?, but let em know their short sightedness is unbecoming of businesses that cater to other businesses.

As well - WhatsApp is Buggy as hell..and that one is as important as BBM. With wrong pictures being associated with other contacts.

So three days in, that is what I have at this point.

Oh...even though the battery is larger..it still only gives me a day and is done in 13 hours...not a good start in my books on batt life. And yea, I use the native cord that came with the phone.

And the reason I was late for work this morning.? As with every other BB, one can shut it off...not the REALLY OFF, but just off and the Alarm will work. Not with this unit. I checked out the bedside mode this morning at work, but that is not the same thing now is it.??

I havent tried Skype yet...at least they tell its a "beta".......and it took me two days how to figure out how to get "search" actually searching.!! LOL

Cheers,

stk

Last edited by steakman; 05-06-2013 at 10:37 PM..
Old 05-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
Preroll
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakman View Post

And the reason I was late for work this morning.? As with every other BB, one can shut it off...not the REALLY OFF, but just off and the Alarm will work. Not with this unit. I checked out the bedside mode this morning at work, but that is not the same thing now is it.??
You mean to say there is no "Turn Power Off" vs. "Full Power Off" when an alarm is set?
Old 05-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #14
ZombieBerry

Bedside mode is like Turn Power Off. You will not receive any type of notifications from messages or calls or whatever, and your device kind of goes into a sleep mode, but the alarm still goes off.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #15
steakman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preroll View Post
You mean to say there is no "Turn Power Off" vs. "Full Power Off" when an alarm is set?
That is correct. To turn off the unit you hold the top button. A countdown ensues from 3 down and off it is...completely. Now I tried the bedside mode..but still unsure how that is supposed to work. Going to check out their FAQ/knowledge base tonight.

Made a comment on their community forum about the alt and hold it down while hitting the period key or a number and was [i[told[/i] "that is not the function of the alt key". I responded that I was fully aware of its function but why would a capability be removed that was useful.?? And it is DAMNED useful.! Like part numbers with like this 666002111 or phone numbers etc. And sometimes I like to ...... do that for effect.!

I was told in effect that it seems that many of the developers of QNX have not been or never were BB users. Great...like having a welder design a piano having never seen or heard one before.

jesus...this is gonna be painful...

Stk
Old 05-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #16
steakman
Thumbs Must Hurt

I guess another thing I find is the difference in sensitivity by various apps...is that normal.?? I go on Facebook and its quite nice to not have to wait for the pics to load..but my the lord it is super sensitive..and before you know it, you've gone from the original page to the source of where the pic came from..then there is a tab/box with "done" at the top right hand corner that simply doesn't like to be touched as it takes 10 time to touch it harder and harder each to finally get that closed off and get back to Facebook main page
where invariably you accidently hit another pic and go through the same crap...maddening
I can tell ya.

The other thing that really gets my goat is all the fanfare of BB saying "yup, we have all the major apps that are super popular going native for the the ONX software platforms" ... simply not so.

I DL'd a new version of Whatsapp last nighty..arguably a VERY popular app for obvious reasons and read it had bug fixes etc within - well the bug that causes different photos of people to appear on an others profile is still not solved. So much for that app.

Havent tried Skype...but what I did do seemed to work flawlessly...login.! lol Had not time to really test it out..tonight.!!

I see there is an update for Q10..will have to give that a whirl as well.

Later,

stk
Old 05-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #17
steakman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 05-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #18
ZombieBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakman View Post
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Looks like you forgot some text...
Old 05-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #19
RayRaven

PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Several years ago, BlackBerry had already combined touch and keyboard, both with the 9800 and 9900 series. Very popular devices.

The world, for the most part, has moved on to touch. There is still a very vocal group that insists on keyboards and the Q10 is for them. There will be quite the learning curve as the OS is totally different. How well BlackBerry integrates the keyboard into BB 10 is the main question for me.
There's one thing that everybody seems to be missing re a keyboard/touch phone, including RIM themselves.

The advantages of a physical keyboard over a touchscreen keyboard are obvious (at least to myself, and every other BB user before the 10 series), but to my mind, there is no point at all to having a physical keyboard without a trackball control alongside it.

I love BB phones purely for the fact that they still use the aforementioned keyboard, and find it a lot easier and faster to use than a touchscreen virtual keyboard, but if there is no mouse (trackball) included, it all seems that the design has not been properly thought out.

I've been with BB for four years now, and found them to be hugely reliable compared to other (touch) OSs, but if I'm going to now be forced into going down the touchscreen route, it might as well be for a system that is recognised and supported by a plethora of developers, rather than an OS that most developers seem to want to ignore.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #20
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRaven View Post
There's one thing that everybody seems to be missing re a keyboard/touch phone, including RIM themselves.

The advantages of a physical keyboard over a touchscreen keyboard are obvious (at least to myself, and every other BB user before the 10 series), but to my mind, there is no point at all to having a physical keyboard without a trackball control alongside it.

I love BB phones purely for the fact that they still use the aforementioned keyboard, and find it a lot easier and faster to use than a touchscreen virtual keyboard, but if there is no mouse (trackball) included, it all seems that the design has not been properly thought out.

I've been with BB for four years now, and found them to be hugely reliable compared to other (touch) OSs, but if I'm going to now be forced into going down the touchscreen route, it might as well be for a system that is recognised and supported by a plethora of developers, rather than an OS that most developers seem to want to ignore.
I wholeheartedly disagree with all of your sentiments. There are no real advantages anymore to a physical keyboard. In fact, there are disadvantages. There is definitely no need at all for a trackpad. The design was well thought out. RIM is only developing keyboard devices for people like you who refuse to adapt. You probably still use Windows XP, don't you?