BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
polmath

Model: 7130e
Default desktop software + charge?

Please Login to Remove!

Pardon me, but I am stumped and I'm not 100% sure on which forum this goes in. I've been trying to get this to work for awhile now, and to no avail.. anyways.. here's the deal...

I have a 7130e and first thing is, I thought that one could charge their BB using Desktop Manager (or just having the appropriate drivers installed on their PC). I called Verizon Tech and they told me that no, it was not possible. However, I thought I remembered doing it awhile back; and now it will not work. If it is NOT possible, the weird thing is I am actually able to charge it if I remove ALL drivers from my computer, pull the battery out, plug in the USB cord into the phone (red light quickly flashes when I do this), and install the battery. The phone sits, turned off, with a solid red light, and indeed does charge the phone -- albeit very slowly. And over my myriads of searching, everyone seemed to presume it was possible to charge using the USB Data Cable.

And then, presuming it is possible to do so using all the appropriate applications installed, the phone will not charge at all whenever i try using either Desktop Manager or Device Manager. The PC Software will detect the phone, it will say "connected," and I can install applications and see currently installed applications, but the phone will not charge at all.

As of now, it's charging without any drivers installed, and for about 1 hour, it'll increase the battery by 10%. Has anyone seen a faster way to do this? I just feel like I'm missing something, and it's frustrating. Plus, I'd hate to have to keep my phone off for this.

(BTW, after searching through here, yes, my USB ports are outputting 500mA, and with power management schemes off, I have also prevented the computer from putting the port to sleep)
Old 08-22-2006, 11:28 PM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Yes, you can charge the BlackBerry via USB if the drivers are installed. If BlackBerry Desktop Manager, or BlackBerry Device Manager, can connect to the handheld then the drivers are installed as they should. Make sure your not connecting via a USB hub. Connect directly into the USB ports on the PC/laptop. Try different ports. You should be charging about as fast as with a wall charger connection.

See also:
What Is - Device is not charging as quickly as expected with a bus-powered USB hub
Support - Handheld does not charge with USB connection to a PC

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by d_fisher; 08-22-2006 at 11:31 PM..
Old 09-01-2006, 07:35 AM   #3
twinkiefan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question

I've looked through numerous related RIM articles and searched these forums (maybe not using the right criteria?) and I cannot find an explanation for the following:

We have found that, as a general rule, our BlackBerry devices (models range 6210-8700) charge MUCH faster when either connected directly to the wall or to a computer with Desktop Manager installed. If we just provide the USB driver (no Desktop Mgr or Handheld Mgr installed), it will be recognized by the OS (XP SP2) and charge, but it takes HOURS to charge rather than minutes via the other 2 methods.

This seems to hold true whether the desktop it's being attached to is a laptop, docked laptop, USB hub or standard desktop machine.

Anyone have an explanation for this? I sure don't...
Old 09-05-2006, 01:22 AM   #4
bjchantry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Special Driver

I believe this is what I remember, but if I am wrong and someone knows more, please feel free to correct me The standard/default USB driver will only allow a small amount of current to flow through to the BB which will also accomodate a self-powered hub, but takes hours. The RIM driver has been customized/optimized for the BB and allows the full 500 mA of current to flow that a standard USB port can offer, but not a self-powered hub. I had the software installed but was having long charge times running through a hub and found this info on this site, switched to a direct USB port about a year ago and never looked back. I hope this helps.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Vulcan25
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Plug in your BB via USB....Do a Windows Update and it will now find some drivers for your BB. With these drivers installed your BB will charge quickly via USB.
Closed Thread