Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
BlackBerryLinks
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone
Thumbs up BES for Exchange 4.0.4 Available Now

Please Login to Remove!

BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange Service Pack 4 is Available for download. Many fixes!

http://blackberry-links.com/blackber...downloads.html

Regards,
Bob
Old 02-24-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
nobs

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

does that allow support for having Exchange 2003 SP2 installed on the BES?
Old 02-24-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobs
does that allow support for having Exchange 2003 SP2 installed on the BES?
If you mean running your Exchange server and BES server on the same piece of physical hardware, I do not believe that is supported by RIM, nor will it likely ever be supported. If you simply mean running ESM 2003 SP2 on the BES, and Exchange 2003 SP2 for your mail environment (on separate hardware), then it is supported.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
BrooklynzFinest
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default What's New

Does any one know if there any new features in this release?
Old 02-26-2006, 12:00 AM   #5
cchatagnier
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: tmo

I had ESM 2003 SP2 on my BES 4.0.3 and RIM said they were pulling back support for it. They did originally, but suggested moving the ESM down to SP1. I did this in a round of troubleshooting some MAPI issues. Although that in particular did not fix my problem, I have noticed a small performance increase since making this change. Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but my BES seems to run better with ESM SP1 versus SP2.

Current - 8700g TMO
Previous - 7280 AWS, 7730 TMO, 7290 TMO
Long ago - 950 model (still have it)
Old 02-26-2006, 01:59 AM   #6
john45

Carrier: Cingular

It is worth upgrading?
Old 02-26-2006, 02:26 AM   #7
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by john45
It is worth upgrading?
Go read over the release notes and decide what's best for your BES. If you are experiencing issues and they were addressed in this released, then yes. If not, then no.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:27 AM   #8
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynzFinest
Does any one know if there any new features in this release?
considering no service pack has added any additional functionality to the BES, aside from Policy updates that enabled various items such as BT connectivity, i'd think its a safe bet to say that this update did not add any new 'features' (although it may have updated some policies).
Old 02-26-2006, 10:38 AM   #9
Korbyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telus

The QuickStart Guide appears to indicate Exchange 2003 SP2, finally...
Old 02-27-2006, 08:31 AM   #10
MrFace
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

What is involved in applying this service pack? Do I just run the application the same as a hot fix? Or, do I have to shut down all services, back up the DB and then do the update?
Old 02-27-2006, 08:39 AM   #11
BlackBerryLinks
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Vodafone

You can just run it. It will stop your services and you get the option to create an update of your DB.

Regards,
Bob
Old 02-28-2006, 10:56 PM   #12
JRV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

Anyone had to reboot their server (not just BES services...the server)?

I know it always says a server reboot may be required, and I'm sure SP4 says that too. But I think only 1 BES 4.0 HF has actually required this in our environment.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:53 AM   #13
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

New SP for BES....in the words of Homer Simpson "ooooohhhhhhhh"

As for running BES on the Exchange box, surely a techie rule of thumb says you don't run multiple mission critical apps on the same box - that's just asking for trouble and if you're box goes bang, you know it'll happen at 6pm on a Friday!!!

Old 03-01-2006, 09:55 AM   #14
Dustbin30
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7230

Quick heads up... There seems to be issues with SP4 and Exchange 5.5 mailboxes. I'd advise anyone to hang back on installing it in your environment if you are running 5.5.

<edit> There are definitely issues. Do not install it on 5.5 environments...

Last edited by Dustbin30; 03-01-2006 at 10:54 AM..
Old 03-01-2006, 10:08 AM   #15
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV
Anyone had to reboot their server (not just BES services...the server)?

I know it always says a server reboot may be required, and I'm sure SP4 says that too. But I think only 1 BES 4.0 HF has actually required this in our environment.
reboot the server, even if it prompts or not. one thing it does, upon reboot (that it doesn't during a services-restart, is update the database with the correct version of BES. this goes for hotfixes and service packs. i've had many times when i didn't reboot and it would either show the previous version or it'd show 4.0.0.0 for the version - might just be cosmetic, but may as well go ahead and take the extra few minutes just to be on the safe side.

my car manual tells me i only have to get an oil change once a year or every 10,000 miles - the dealership says that the manufacturer is simply trying to promote low cost maintenance rather than realistic upkeep (then again, the dealership may just want the money they'd lose out on otherwise - who knows).

Old 03-01-2006, 10:17 AM   #16
JRV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e

OT, but Consumer Reports has long advised that oil changes more often than the mfrs recommendation are a waste of money. And if you use synthetic oil, you can go a very long time between oil changes.

If we had a dedicated BES server I'd follow your advice about always rebooting after install. Since we don't, I guess I can schedule an automatic reboot the night after the install. But it's nice to know up front if it actually REQUIRES a reboot, because then I'd know I need to do the update after hours.

Wonder why they can't stamp the new BES version on the database during setup? That seems odd. And if they can't, and BES services startup doesn't do it either...what in the world does? MSDE startup? Very odd.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:08 PM   #17
jibi
BlackBerry God

Release Notes for lazy admins and in-forum searching capabilities...

Fixed issues
BlackBerry Alert Service
SDR 72047
Previously, BlackBerry Alert Service logs might have grown too large to open. The large log files resulted in an increased use of system resources.

BlackBerry Attachment Service
SDR 77402
Previously, the way in which the BlackBerry Attachment Service processed certain corrupt Microsoft PowerPoint® files might have caused a buffer overflow. This vulnerability might have allowed for arbitrary code execution.

SDR 49529
Previously, after you restarted the remote BlackBerry Attachment Service, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server could not re-establish a connection to the BlackBerry Attachment Service and could no longer convert attachments.

BlackBerry Configuration Database
SDR 72823
Previously in certain circumstances, a user might have been able to use the Override Email Address field in the BlackBerry Desktop Software to make changes to the configuration database.

SDR 64720
Previously, if the connection with the configuration database was lost, the Windows Time Service might have restarted.

SDR 48851
Previously, if multiple BlackBerry Enterprise Servers connected to a single configuration database and multiple BlackBerry Routers, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server might have sent incorrect BlackBerry Router information to the BlackBerry devices.

BlackBerry Dispatcher
SDR 77591
Previously, the connection to the BlackBerry Infrastructure might have initialized incorrectly if certain threads started too early. The BlackBerry Dispatcher might not have been able to connect to the BlackBerry Infrastructure and would reset after 10 failed ping attempts.

SDR 54367
Previously, if the BlackBerry Dispatcher attempted to process incoming data during the shutdown process after the connection to the BlackBerry Infrastructure was closed, the BlackBerry Dispatcher might have stopped responding.

SDR 54142
Previously, if the BlackBerry Dispatcher attempted to use a session that was already deleted during the shutdown process, the BlackBerry Dispatcher might have stopped responding.

BlackBerry Handheld Configuration Tool
SDR 52705
Previously, if you turned off TCP/IP on the BlackBerry Configuration Database or connected to a port other than the default port (1433), you could not open the Handheld Configuration Tool.

BlackBerry Manager
SDR 65019
Previously, the BlackBerry Manager might have stopped responding when you attempted to view the BlackBerry Mobile Data Service properties through the Option menu by right clicking on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, or through the Action menu.

SDR 57440
Previously, in certain circumstances, if you added a user, and then you refreshed the BlackBerry Manager, the user creation time statistic displayed as Not Available.

SDR 52033
Previously, if you opened the BlackBerry Manager in an environment with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 3.6 and a BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 4.0 configuration database, and you did not have administrative permissions on all the Microsoft Exchange Servers that contained BlackBerry users, the BlackBerry Manager might have closed.

SDR 39188
Previously, when you moved a user from one BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 4.0 or later to another server that shared the same configuration database, the dialog box that appeared was incorrect; BlackBerry devices using BlackBerry Device Software version 4.0 or later did not require any user action to continue receiving messages on the BlackBerry device.

BlackBerry Messaging Agent
SDR 74372
Previously, if a user forwarded or replied to a message from outside your domain, the message only displayed the display name of the original sender. Now, the Messaging Agent includes the original sender’s SMTP address, if it is available.

SDR 73069
Previously, after upgrading from BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 3.6 to version 4.0 SP2, the BlackBerry Messaging Agent did not check whether the BlackBerry device was capable of receiving service books before it attempted to send them wirelessly. This resulted in repeated attempts to send the service books.

SDR 69612
Previously, users could not read or reply to messages using UTF-7 encoding.

SDR 64054
Previously, in certain circumstances, the BlackBerry Messaging Agent might have stopped responding when it attempted to decode a large message.

SDR 61523
Previously, in certain circumstances, if you set a mailbox name to null, it might have caused the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to stop responding.

SDR 61414
Previously, if you attempted to save user settings, the BlackBerry Messaging Agent might have experienced nonresponsive threads.

SDR 60316
Previously, if problems occurred with the connection to the SQL database, the BlackBerry Messaging Agent might have stopped responding.

SDR 58886
Previously, if a user had 0 or null for a PIN, an unnecessary error message might have been logged in the BlackBerry Enterprise Server policy logs.

SDR 53669
Previously, when a user sent a message with foreign characters from a BlackBerry device, the characters did not display correctly on web mail accounts.

SDR 53494
Previously, if you restarted the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, the TimerHealth thread might not have started correctly for a user. The user could not send or receive messages on the BlackBerry device.

BlackBerry Mobile Data Service
SDR 78690
Previously, the BlackBerry Mobile Data Service did not send the proxy-authorization header when authenticating through a proxy server.

SDR 78689
Previously, users with the BlackBerry 8700 Series of wireless handhelds might not have been able to browse the web in color.

SDR 72269
Previously, the Certificate Revocation List (CRL) server name field only supported uppercase names.

SDR 71875
Previously, if you attempted to retrieve the status of a certificate that had been revoked and was in the CRL, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server might have stopped responding.

SDR 33227
Previously, SNMP traps for the Mobile Data Service did not appear correctly in an SNMP trap viewer.

BlackBerry Policy Service
SDR 66156
Previously, if a user performed a wireless enterprise activation on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server that did not have S/MIME support enabled, the option to send PGP messages did not appear.

SDR 61608
Previously, if you set a policy in the Smart Dialing IT policy group, the BlackBerry Policy Service did not retain the settings when you closed the window.

BlackBerry Router
SDR 77129
Previously, if the BlackBerry Router processed a packet with a negative string value, communication between the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and the BlackBerry Router was disrupted.

SDR 76907
Previously, if more than 32 messages were sent to a BlackBerry device when it was outside of a wireless coverage area, some messages might have been duplicated if the user synchronized messages through the USB connection to the computer.

Setup program
SDR 75325
Previously, users with MailStoreDisplay names longer than 64 characters did not migrate successfully to the new configuration database when upgrading the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

SDR 71521
Previously, when you upgraded from BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 4.0 SP1 or SP2 to version 4.0 SP3 the configuration database might not have migrated correctly. This resulted in new mailbox agents not being created.

SDR 62174
Previously, when you upgraded the BlackBerry Enterprise Server from version 4.0 SP1 to version 4.0 SP2, the setup program did not back up the configuration database when the Backup Database check box was selected.

SDR 60544
Previously, if you added a BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 3.6 to the BlackBerry Manager with an incorrect name, deleted it, and then re-added it using the correct name, the configuration database might not have migrated correctly when upgrading to BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 4.0.

SDR 58204
Previously, if you upgraded a BlackBerry Enterprise Server that used a remote BlackBerry Router from version 4.0 SP1 to version 4.0 SP2, the Router Host field changed from the remote BlackBerry Router to localhost.

SDR 54551
Previously, if you upgraded to BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 4.0 SP1 or later, the settings for the BlackBerry Alert Service might not have been retained.

SDR 40956
Previously, when you upgraded the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, user-defined log levels were not preserved during the upgrade.

Wireless calendar synchronization
SDR 76309
Previously, if a meeting organizer changed instances of a recurring meeting in Microsoft Outlook® 2003 SP2, the changes might not have synchronized with the BlackBerry device.

SDR 75087
Previously, appointments created in a third-party application might not have synchronized on BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 4.0 SP3.

SDR 74628
Previously, when using Microsoft Exchange installed with cdo.dll 6.5.7233, if the organizer sent an update to an instance of a recurring meeting before the attendee had accepted the series, duplicate entries of the updated instance displayed on the attendee’s BlackBerry device.

SDR 73732
Previously, if a meeting organizer deleted an instance of a recurring meeting while the BlackBerry Enterprise Server services were stopped, the deleted meeting was not removed from the meeting organizer’s BlackBerry device after the BlackBerry Enterprise Server services were started.

SDR 73607
Previously, after you upgraded the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, any appointments with locations longer than 80 characters were resent to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server during initial synchronization.

SDR 73464
Previously, in Outlook, the word “Updated” displayed twice in the subject line of an instance of a recurring meeting if the meeting organizer and the attendees were on a distribution list and the meeting organizer updated one instance of the meeting, added an attendee who was not on the distribution list, and the sent the update to all attendees.

SDR 73159
Previously, if a meeting organizer sent meeting updates to distribution lists, the updates might not have displayed in the attendee’s Outlook if the meeting organizer was both on the distribution list and updated the meeting on the BlackBerry device.

SDR 73155
Previously, if a meeting organizer sent a meeting request to a distribution list of which the meeting organizer was a member, and then updated the meeting on the BlackBerry device, the meeting might not have displayed all accepted attendees in the meeting organizer’s Outlook.

SDR 73083
Previously, if you accepted a meeting request for an updated instance of a recurring meeting before accepting the original meeting series, the system might have generated a duplicate meeting.

SDR 72704
Previously, when a meeting attendee accepted an invitation to an instance of a recurring meeting after accepting the series and the series was sent by a delegate, the instance was removed from the meeting organizer’s BlackBerry device until the meeting organizer closed and re-opened the calendar program on the BlackBerry device.

SDR 72670
Previously, if a meeting organizer deleted an instance of a recurring meeting, the instance might have re-appeared if the meeting organizer was on the invited distribution list, had accepted the invitation, and then sent the distribution list an update to a single instance of the meeting.

SDR 72546
Previously, if a user updated a single meeting location in a recurring series of daily meetings that was created with a start date in the past, the updated instance was removed from Outlook.

SDR 70403
Previously, after a wireless initial bulk synchronization, the attendee list for a single instance to a meeting series might be reduced to a single attendee on the meeting organizer’s BlackBerry device. This occurred if the attendees were not BlackBerry Enterprise Server users, the instance was changed in Outlook, and the initial bulk synchronization occurred after the update.

SDR 69913
Previously, in Outlook, if a delegate or attendee canceled an instance of a recurring meeting that had an end date, the BlackBerry device might have sent an update to other invitees.

SDR 69912
Previously, if a meeting organizer deleted an invitee acceptance message in Outlook, and the invitee had accepted the meeting invitation from the BlackBerry device, the invitee might have received an update to the meeting.

SDR 65168
Previously, in certain circumstances, if a user created a non-recurring appointment in Outlook and the appointment information was synchronized wirelessly to the BlackBerry device, the time zone information in the appointment on the BlackBerry device might have been incorrect.

SDR 64327
Previously, if a meeting invitee printed a meeting request with the location, time, and day of the meeting, in the Notes field, the list of attendees did not print.

SDR 64139
Previously, when a BlackBerry device and a desktop computer were set to the following time zones, appointments that users created on the BlackBerry device displayed one hour early in Microsoft Outlook:

• Beijing, Hong Kong (UTC +8)
• Irkutsk (UTC +8)
• Kuala Lampour (UTC +8)

SDR 60234
Previously, if a user had a recurring meeting in the calendar that contained a large amount of text in the notes field, and the organizer edited two or more instances of the meeting, the text in the notes field for the second instance might not have been viewable on the BlackBerry device.

SDR 58220
Previously, in certain circumstances, when a meeting organizer received accepted meeting requests, the When field did not display correctly.

SDR 55785
Previously, if an attendee declined or tentatively accepted a recurring meeting instance in Microsoft Outlook after having accepted the recurring set of meetings, the meeting request status did not update in the organizer’s calendar.

Wireless enterprise activation
SDR 71634
Previously, if you used the Generate and Email Wireless Activation password option for a user account that already had a valid activation password, the password changed but the dialog box indicated that the existing password did not change.

SDR 60780
Previously, expired wireless enterprise activation passwords might have been copied to the configuration database and overwritten newer passwords. This resulted in the newer password not working. You had to reset the password again.

Known issues
BlackBerry Attachment Service
SDR 56666
In certain circumstances, Acrobat version 1.3 PDF attachments that third-party applications generate might not display correctly on the BlackBerry device.

SDR 51971
Attachments that contain Czech characters might not display correctly on the BlackBerry device.

SDR 44322
If the registry key (located in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BBAttachSer ver\Parameters\EnableLog) is not set to 5, the BlackBerry Attachment Service and Attachment Conversion logs do not generate. BlackBerry Configuration Database

SDR 76384
If the connection to the configuration database is lost, the SCS thread might stop responding.

SDR 71717
If the connection to the configuration database is lost, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server might stop responding.

SDR 69866
If you move a user from a BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 3.6 to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 4.0, and the user has the same PIN as a user who is already on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, the second user’s PIN is changed.

SDR 49638
When you turn on peer-to-peer encryption on BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 4.0, users on BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 3.6 who are connected to the same version 4.0 configuration database cannot send PIN messages to users on BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 4.0.

BlackBerry Dispatcher Service
SDR 74760
In a network environment where service startup times are slow and SRP IDs are mapped to other SRPs, the BlackBerry Dispatcher might not connect with the BlackBerry Infrastructure correctly. Users cannot send messages from the BlackBerry device.

BlackBerry Handheld Configuration Tool
SDR 70439
When you push an upgrade of an application to a user, if the BlackBerry device is running BlackBerry Device Software version 4.0.0, the BlackBerry Device Agent does not update to the new version of the application. The BlackBerry Enterprise Server continues to push the new version of the application to the BlackBerry device.

SDR 55224
In certain circumstances, the BlackBerry Handheld Configuration Tool does not display branch information correctly on the configuration tab.

Workaround: Re-index the BlackBerry Device Software. See the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Handheld Management Guide for more information.

SDR 52601
If you do not select the For fast searching, allowing Indexing Service to index this folder check box in the PackageCache folder properties on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, third-party applications might not be delivered to BlackBerry devices wirelessly.

Workaround:
1. On the computer on which the BlackBerry Enterprise Server is installed, browse to C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\.
2. Right-click the PackageCache folder.
3. Click Properties.
4. Click Advanced.
5. Select the For fast searching, allowing Indexing Service to index this folder check box.

BlackBerry Manager
SDR 77909
When you close the Help Topics window in BlackBerry Manager on a computer running Microsoft Windows 2003, it might cause the BlackBerry Manager to close unexpectedly.

SDR 72588
If you assign users to a new IT policy and then check the user properties in the BlackBerry Manager, an incorrect IT policy might display.

SDR 61515
If you move users from one BlackBerry Enterprise Server to another in the BlackBerry Manager, and then you check the list of users on the target BlackBerry Enterprise Server, the list might show only the users that you moved.

Workaround: Refresh the list manually.

SDR 58921
If you remove users in Active Directory in Microsoft Exchange, other users might also be removed from the BlackBerry Manager.

SDR 55528
If you view users in the BlackBerry Manager on BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 3.6, the user IT policy statistics do not display.

Workaround: To view the IT policy statistics, open the Properties window for the user.

SDR 42694
If, in the BlackBerry Manager you turn off S/MIME encryption for signed and weakly encrypted messages, you must restart the BlackBerry Enterprise Server for the changes to take effect.

BlackBerry Messaging Agent
SDR 78893
The BlackBerry Messaging Agent does not currently support disclaimers at the top of a message.

SDR 78606
If the BlackBerry Messaging Agent does not bind to an open User Datagram Protocol (UDP) port on its first try, it does not increment to the next available port. The BlackBerry Controller cannot receive any log events from the BlackBerry Messaging Agent and restarts the BlackBerry Messaging Agent repeatedly.

SDR 78482
If the BlackBerry Messaging Agent stops responding and the and the BlackBerry Controller attempts to restart it, the BlackBerry Messaging Agent might not initialize properly. The BlackBerry Messaging Agent restarts repeatedly until you restart the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

SDR 77283
If you add users to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server using an automated account creation process in Active Directory, it might cause a loss of service to those users.

Workaround: Remove the trailing space from the user display name manually in Active Directory Users and computers.

SDR 76969
If the BlackBerry Messaging Agent encounters an exception in one of the threads, it might cause the BlackBerry Messaging Agent to stop responding.

SDR 73591
If two BlackBerry Messaging Agents attempt to use the same MAPI profile, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server might stop responding.

SDR 72365
If a user receives a message that was sent as an HTML page with inline images, the BlackBerry device receives images as attachments. If the user replies to the message from the BlackBerry device, the images are not attached; however, if users forward the message from the BlackBerry device, the images are attached.

SDR 61010
If messages generate a network error during the BlackBerry Enterprise Server prepopulation of the message queue, they might not be queued during a rescan and might not be sent to the BlackBerry device.

SDR 58864
The BlackBerry Messaging Agent might stop responding when attempting to resolve an address in the Global Address List.

SDR 56128
In certain circumstances, if the Microsoft SQL Server computer on the which the configuration database exists stops responding, the Messaging Agents might also stop responding.

Workaround: Restore operation to the Microsoft SQL Server computer and restart the BlackBerry Controller.

SDR 50786
In certain circumstances, if a user copies a message in Outlook to a folder that is redirected to the BlackBerry device, the message might not be delivered to the BlackBerry device.

BlackBerry Mobile Data Service
SDR 69404
If the connection to the configuration database is lost, the BlackBerry Mobile Data Service might stop responding.

SDR 67424
The version number of the BlackBerry Mobile Data Service does not display in the logs.

BlackBerry Policy Service
SDR 70023
When you apply an IT policy, it immediately displays as Applied successfully, regardless of the actual status.

Workaround: View the Time received field to see when the user’s BlackBerry device received the IT policy.

SDR 61943
After you upgrade to BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 4.0 or later, an error message indicates that you cannot delete the existing IT policy because users are still assigned to the policy, even if there are no users assigned to the policy.

Workaround: Delete the user manually from the PolicyUsers table using the following script:

Delete FROM PolicyUsers
Where UserMailboxDN=’mailboxDN’

SDR 61188
When polling users for missing programs, the BlackBerry Policy Service provides an extraneous log line for all users after already producing a log line for a specific user.

Integrated logging
SDR 77507
When the BlackBerry Enterprise Server creates new log files at midnight, it might not be able to determine the system time, so it stops responding.

Setup program
SDR 73925
If you run the BESMigration tool in BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 4.0 SP2 or version 4.0 SP3 to restore the administration folder, BlackBerry Enterprise Server information, and user information to the original BlackBerry Enterprise Server, the operation fails.

SDR 72900
If you type an SRP ID in lowercase for BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 3.6 and then attempt to upgrade to version 4.0, users on that BlackBerry Enterprise Server cannot send or receive messages.

SDR 59427
If you upgrade the BlackBerry Enterprise Server while logged on using a different account than the account that you used to create the existing configuration database, the upgrade does not complete successfully and an error message appears.

SDR 58916
When you install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, if XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.0 is not installed on the computer, the Policy Service fails to start and an error message appears.

SDR 53981
If you upgrade the BlackBerry Enterprise Server from version 2.1 to version 4.0, the BlackBerry Mobile Data Service port setting might not be configured correctly. The MDSConfig table might be empty.

Visit http://www.blackberry.com/technicalk...ecenter/public to read article KB-04351 for more information.

Wireless calendar synchronization
SDR 77479
If a user dismisses a reminder window for a recurring meeting in Outlook Web Access, a duplicate instance of the meeting might appear on the BlackBerry device.

SDR 76576
If a user creates an appointment in Outlook (by clicking Actions > View Group Schedules > New), a randomly-generated appointment might appear on the BlackBerry device but not in Outlook.

SDR 73700
If a user changes an instance of a recurring entry using Outlook Web Access, a duplicate entry displays on the BlackBerry device. If a user deletes an instance of a recurring entry using Outlook Web Access, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server does not delete that instance from the BlackBerry device.

SDR 66413
If a meeting organizer and an attendee are both on a Microsoft Exchange messaging and collaboration server version 5.5 and the meeting organizer makes multiple changes to instances of a recurring meeting, duplicates of the changed instances might appear on the attendee’s BlackBerry device.

Wireless enterprise activation
SDR 37897
In certain circumstances, if you assign and activate two different users who both use the same configuration database on separate BlackBerry Enterprise Servers, the PIN for the users might not synchronize correctly between the desktop computer and the configuration database.

Wireless PIM synchronization
SDR 60975
MAPI errors might cause problems in constructing a user folder list on the BlackBerry device and might result in other PIM synchronization issues.

Workaround: Restart the BlackBerry Controller.

Last edited by jibi; 03-01-2006 at 12:11 PM..
Old 03-01-2006, 12:47 PM   #18
Korbyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telus

Personally, I like to reboot any server once before and once after applying a Service Pack... Typically when I do that with the BES, it doesn't ask me to reboot after applying the SP, but I like to anyway.

And when I was talking about support for Exchange 2003 SP2, I was refering to upgrading the ESM on the BES server to Exchange 2003 SP2. Prior to BES 4.0 SP4, we were to remain at Exchange 2003 SP1. Outlook 2003 SP2 and Exchange 2003 SP2 (or SP1 with a couple of the hotfixes) introduced a whole bunch of different behaviour with Calendaring functionality, which is why you see soooooo many calendaring type fixes in SP4.

We've been running on SP4 since sunday, native Exchange 2003 SP 2 environment, and haven't had any issues or complaints or problems. Plus our BES Alerts are finally working again...

Oh, and we have 460+ BES users, nice sample base....
Old 03-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #19
Wakefield103

Model: 8130
Default Extra lazy admin here

We are running BES 4.0 SP3 Hotfix 4.

Does anyone know how the list of fixes from the Release Notes relate to the fixes released with previous service packs and hotfixes? I assume the list is a cumulative list of all the fixes from 4.0 original release.

I assume I could print out the release notes for 3 other service packs and then the hotfixes and then cross reference them with the list from this service pack, but... who wants to do that??

Wakefield

Last edited by Wakefield103; 03-01-2006 at 03:02 PM..
Old 03-01-2006, 03:08 PM   #20
jibi
BlackBerry God

the release notes only list fixes since the previous service pack. if you were on 4.0.0.0, then you'd want to view the fixes for SP1-SP4, but if you are on SP3, then view these only. it is likely (although i haven't verified) that the fixes in HF1-HF4 for SP3 are included in the documentation.