BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
maeveautumnrain

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default How do I transfer email contacts from PC onto BB Curve 8330?

Please Login to Remove!

I have a new Curve 8330. I have email contacts with hotmail, gmail, and a school account. I need to transfer those contacts into my phone. I have been able to send most of my contacts from my old phone (not a smartphone or bb) via bluetooth, but I cannot get the address book to transfer from my pc to the bb. I set up the synch configuration to transfer ASCII files but when I synch, nothing happens. I am not exactly sure what I am doing wrong. Any advice would be helpful, thanks.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

What format/program are the contact in on your computer?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
maeveautumnrain

Originally they were on the internet email accounts only. But I was able to export the contact list into an excel document, which my boyfriend helped me convert to the ASCII text document. I went and changed the set up to transfer ONLY to the device, and then chose the location (the text doc) that I was transferring from. That's as far as I got.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

Ok, so what do you mean in your OP when you state "when I synch, nothing happens"?

Are you saying that the program stops? Or are you saying nothing shows up on the device?

If the program finishes the sync, but you aren't seeing anything in the Address Book on the device have you checked in the Address Book on the device to be sure that no FILTERS are set? (In the Address Book, press Menu and select Filter.)

Or since you have the data as an Excel file, you might try to import the data into Outlook and then use that to sync to the device.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I've never used the ASCII exporter/importer but I'm guessing that the columns need to be in a specific order. You might want to set up a contact manually on the BB and sync to an ASCII file on your PC as an example for you to work with.

If you can, I highly recommend syncing with Outlook. It's far less trouble and just about everything syncs with Outlook (handy down the road).
Old 04-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
maeveautumnrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post
Ok, so what do you mean in your OP when you state "when I synch, nothing happens"?

Are you saying that the program stops? Or are you saying nothing shows up on the device?
When I synch it, the only transfering that occurs is from the device to my computer (even though the setting is TO and FROM the device).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post
If the program finishes the sync, but you aren't seeing anything in the Address Book on the device have you checked in the Address Book on the device to be sure that no FILTERS are set? (In the Address Book, press Menu and select Filter.)

Or since you have the data as an Excel file, you might try to import the data into Outlook and then use that to sync to the device.
There are no filters set.

As for importing the data into Outlook - I did that, but it doesn't transfer the right information (it does the names but nothing else). I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I also have email addresses for another email account (gmail) that I have yet to try and transfer, and a school email account. I have not tried that either. Wonder if it is just hotmail addresses?
Closed Thread