BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
EoRaptor

Model: 7290r
Carrier: Rogers
Question BES Migration Help

Please Login to Remove!

So, I finally have the resources to migrate my BES setup to a new server. It's been a long time coming, and is very much a project I look forward too. Since I don't want to make any mistakes, I'm asking for people who have done this to look over the steps I have laid out, and see if there are any mistakes I am making or other steps I should take.

First, though, some background. BES was originally setup on the same system as Exchange. I know this isn't recommended, but I only had the one server at the time, so had little choice. It was also my first BES install, and mistakes were made. I've managed to learn and fix most of the issues, but I can tell you that installing BES on the same machine that's running ISA Server simply isn't feasible over the long term, and the rule set needed to allow BES access to all it's features is huge and unmaintainable. BES + ISA Server is a complete no-go, unless you have really, really, good ISA skills.

Since I can't move ISA, it's time to move BES. The current plan is as follows.

1. Stop BES on the existing server, and disable its services.
2. Delete any messages in the BES Account mailbox
3. Install BES on the new server, same BES Account, SRP and CALs, but a *new* SQL server and database. BES points to the same exchange server.
4. Start BES on the new server.
5. Manually wipe and re-provision each handheld. I only have 4, so this is a non-issue.

One thing I'm worried about is that this new server has a complete exchange install, not just the admin tools. The exchange server is not used, as it's my testing machine only, but is a member of the domain and visible by the exchange system manager. It has (and always will have) the same version number as my main server. My hope is BES can use the CDO.DLL file it needs without getting locked into any particular server.

Another issue is if there is anything stored in a users mailbox on the exchange side that BES uses to track the users actions. I basically want the users to start over, so I don't want BES pulling in old settings.

Finally, I plan to re-use the same BES Account. I hope this isn't an issue, as it already has the permissions setup that it needs. I will be emptying it's mailbox, so it gets all new messages from RIM when it 'connects' for the first time.

I've considered other methods, and I could re-use the same DB (though it's a little stressed right now), but I figure while I have so few users, I'd like to make room for growth, rather than hack at it later.

Any thoughts would be helpful.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
autsoldnow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: Telus

I was under the impression after talking to this guy who's company sells BES that the order of the migration is as follows:

1. Install SQL server on your new box
2. move your old database to the new SQL server
3. Install the new BES but don't start it
4. stop the services of the old BES server
5. start the services of the new BES server

Andrew
Old 10-16-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
c13
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

it depends on what you want to achieve and whether or not you want users to cradle.

you want to do it with the least amount of administration effort and minimal impact to users.

this depends on a few things and also how easy the migration is.

first can you confirm which version and service pack you are running. essentially the above is correct however there are a few thing you may want to change or which may make the migration a little more seamless.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:17 AM   #4
EoRaptor

Model: 7290r
Carrier: Rogers

It's version 4.0.4. I could patch up to the latest level before moving, but I had planned on doing all that after I was moved. I still have the 4.0.4 installer, so it's no problem to keep the versions in lockstep.

As I mentioned, I wasn't planning on moving the database, so I'm not terribly worried about version issues.

I'm mostly concerned about the full but unused install of exchange on the box, instead of just the system admin tools.

Also, completely redoing all four blackberries with a wipe and reload is hardly a big job, so if I mess it up badly, it's not a big deal.
Closed Thread