Old 04-06-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
mattpsu03

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cellular One
Question Using 8100 (with MMS) Without BB Data Plan

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone,

I just bought an unlocked (branded to T-mobile) blackberry pearl. I feel like I'm in a unique situation because I am a Cellular One customer who subscribed to an unlimited everything plan (minutes, data, SMS, MMS) years ago and was pretty much grandfathered in when AT&T took over. I have never signed up for an AT&T plan, because they are more expensive than my current plan. I have no need for PUSH e-mail and upgrading to the BB data plan is just not worth the cost for me.

Here's what happened: I was able to use the phone for voice, SMS, and 3rd party data access (via opera mini, etc.) right away by putting in cellular one's APN. The problem was, I could not get MMS to work. The option was not there and my service books were empty. After days and days of searching I was just about ready to give up when all of a sudden I saw MMS as an option and 6 service book entries were on my phone. I checked the service book entries and nothing in them mention the RIM server. Everything is configuration for my APN. Now, I have MMS working and also the blackberry web browser works with no BB data plan.

My question is: How did I get this to work? I know it sounds silly, but I am afraid I may lose these settings if something goes wrong and won't be able to get them back. I did install the "Dobson/Cellular One" OS at one point. Could that have had something to do with it? Or, could it have been possible that the service books I received were just delayed? I did do several battery pulls and nothing popped up until the next day. What exactly is the difference between each carrier specific os's?

Sorry for the long post, but I am new to the Blackberries (love them) and am curious as to how I could get this to work again if something goes wrong. I did a backup and created an .ipd, but does that backup the service books?

The service books that magically appeared are:
-WAP BrowserConfig
-WAP Transport
-CellularOneMMS
-Wap Push Config
-MMS Client

Again, I checked the details of all of those and none of them say anything about RIM, only my APN. Also, I have "edge" and not "EDGE" on the home screen. From all of the research I've done, I'm rather surprised I got MMS to work with no BB plan.

Thanks to anyone with answers in advance,
Matt
Old 04-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Cellular one pushed you the service books for MMS and wap browsing. They don't constitute a BB data plan, though. Happy MMS'ing. TMobile does a similar thing with their "feature enabler."
Old 04-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
tarquell

Carrier: T-Mobile UK (unlocked from etisalat UAE)

damn - i wish this would happen to me.... i really miss MMS ability....and it never made sense to me that it should not be possible

(unlocked etisalat 8100 handset, now using t-mobile unlimited data in the uk)
Old 12-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Cortes

Carrier: bmobile

I'm beginning to think the trouble is with Tmobile. I have an unlocked 8100 from Tmobile UK which I'm currently using on a bmobile network in Trinidad. The phone works for voice and text but not internet. Despite purchasing the BB data plan from my provider, my edge remains lower case. It was suggested that Tmobile hard locks its data feature. Does anyone know how fix this problem?
Closed Thread