Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #41
archangel
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Visual Voicemail on Unbranded Bold

Please Login to Remove!

Since I unbranded my Bold, i noticed the visual voicemail icon went away... any idea how we can use it once it comes available - say on March 25th?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:29 AM   #42
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
Very, very clear. Thanks again. I did have to manually enter the APN info--no problem.

One last question--do you know if it's possible to load a new VSM into the BB /without/ going through the preliminary processes of debranding the phone, then reloading the VSM, then reloading the OS? I've seen conflicting answers to this on various forums.

That is, if you already have a functioning unbranded phone with a good working OS loaded, can you use the usual program with the "hidden screen" for loading VSM, and just load the new VSM without going through the whole process of re-rebranding the BB? Loading the VSM itself is a one second operation when done in conjunction with rebranding, whereas the entire procedure of unbranding, loading the VSM, then loading the OS with all the re-registration of the third party apps can easily take an hour or more. Maybe with just one byte changed in the VSM that could be done??
My last two cents: You have to go through the entire process in order to load a new VSM file. You have to get to the point where you have a white screen with "No OS Linked". Then and only then can you load a new VSM from the hidden menu.

Since you cannot just modify an existing VSM file to include all the options you want (Splash screen, Vendor ID, APN Settings) because there is a checksum in place that verifies the VSM as valid, you must find a way to create a valid custom VSM. I will leave you to figure that out on your own (Detailed info and hex editing required).

So you pretty much have three choices:

1. Load the stock At&t VSM file that includes vendor code 102, AT&T splash screen, and AT&T APN settings. That way you can use at&t wifi hotspots but will lose the ability to switch between 3G and 2G.

2. Load the "unbranded" VSM file that includes a different vendor code, Blackberry Splash Screen, and no APN settings. That way you have the option to switch between 3G and 2G.

3. Create and Load a "custom" VSM file that includes a custom splash screen, vendor code of your choice, and whatever else.

The escreen can be activated by using the same program and hidden menu. All it does is generate a code based off your Application version, PIN and uptime.

I've already said too much.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:43 AM   #43
kenv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor464 View Post
You have to go through the entire process in order to load a new VSM file. You have to get to the point where you have a white screen with "No OS Linked". Then and only then can you load a new VSM from the hidden menu.

So you pretty much have three choices:

1. Load the stock At&t VSM file
2. Load the "unbranded" VSM file...that way you have the option to switch between 3G and 2G.
3. Create and Load a "custom" VSM file
Raptor464, your detailed post clearly addressed and answered all of my questions. Thank you once again!

So, I'm now down to one of life's great existential choices -- 3G/2G switching capability or free, unlimited wi-fi at AT&T hotspots (versus a 2 hour limit and a cumbersome sign-on every time, if you have a valid Starbucks card).

I think I'm going to head out now and ponder this dilemma over a tall latte, but for no more than 120 minutes.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #44
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
Raptor464, your detailed post clearly addressed and answered all of my questions. Thank you once again!

So, I'm now down to one of life's great existential choices -- 3G/2G switching capability or free, unlimited wi-fi at AT&T hotspots (versus a 2 hour limit and a cumbersome sign-on every time, if you have a valid Starbucks card).

I think I'm going to head out now and ponder this dilemma over a tall latte, but for no more than 120 minutes.
I'm glad that you understand. For me the choice was easy, because I'm running an 8310 Curve. I don't need to worry about 2G/3G switching or at&t hotspots. I think its bold on at&t's part that they made those options based on the Vendor ID rather than service books.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #45
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
Since I unbranded my Bold, i noticed the visual voicemail icon went away... any idea how we can use it once it comes available - say on March 25th?
You carrier will push out a service book that will enable it.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 03-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #46
hooper610

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinneycm View Post
You carrier will push out a service book that will enable it.
Visual Voicemail is locked out by Vendor ID. So if you are using 1 or -1 then it will never work, even if you have the service books.

Completely unrelated, has anyone else noticed that if tethering via Windows DUN on Vendor ID 1 and AT&T that the device drops the BlackBerry connection and goes to 3G only? No emails or like will come in. Can't figure this one out.....
Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #47
shpuntik

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quick Question: Do I have to install the OS included with torrent or can I just install one of my choice?

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #48
estabulla
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooper610 View Post
Visual Voicemail is locked out by Vendor ID. So if you are using 1 or -1 then it will never work, even if you have the service books.

Completely unrelated, has anyone else noticed that if tethering via Windows DUN on Vendor ID 1 and AT&T that the device drops the BlackBerry connection and goes to 3G only? No emails or like will come in. Can't figure this one out.....
I am not sure about the first part. If you have the VVM files installed and proper service books, it will work - the vendor ID "lock" is only to get the proper cod files installed on the device.

Regarding your second para, I have a Bold that is Rogers branded but unlocked to work on AT&T and it still does that i.e. in Modem mode, it is off the Blackberry network. So again I am not sure if that behavior has anything to do with the vendor ID.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:46 AM   #49
limdavid

Carrier: indosat

guys, i succed rebranded my at&t bold.
but, when i use it for a while
radio core catfailed appeared again.

how come??
you guys said if we rebranded the bod again to original, we wont get error messages again, cause there is no 3G option after we rebranded.
please advice, kinda frustated with my bb.
thanks
Old 04-01-2009, 07:38 AM   #50
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by limdavid View Post

how come??
you guys said if we rebranded the bod again to original, we wont get error messages again, cause there is no 3G option after we rebranded.
thanks
blackberryforums.com is not the correct place to ask this question.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #51
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by limdavid

how come??
thanks
This is why we don't support using this software. Its possible that message is permanent. This software CAN brick your device.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:42 AM   #52
dhanz_81

Carrier: whatever

so you don't have any solution for that?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:56 AM   #53
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanz_81 View Post
so you don't have any solution for that?
No, we do not support this software as it is not legal.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #54
crjohnson1981

Carrier: Vodafone UK

Can anyone provide me with a code to get into the engineering mode for my bold. The problem I have is that Vodafone UK provided me with an unlock code for my bold. Ever since ithas been unlocked I can't use the mass storage mode. Apperently I have to get into the engineering mode to re-activate it.(I have tried Alt + Shift + H which just takes me to a help screen.

I'm not interested in hacking and all that just want my blackberry to work with I-Tunes again
Old 05-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #55
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjohnson1981 View Post
Can anyone provide me with a code to get into the engineering mode for my bold. The problem I have is that Vodafone UK provided me with an unlock code for my bold. Ever since ithas been unlocked I can't use the mass storage mode. Apperently I have to get into the engineering mode to re-activate it.(I have tried Alt + Shift + H which just takes me to a help screen.

I'm not interested in hacking and all that just want my blackberry to work with I-Tunes again
Please do not post your question in multiple threads.

BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community - View Single Post - PC doesn't recognize SD card after debranding Bold
Old 06-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #56
Zimbo76

Carrier: ATT
Default Switch VSM???

I am moving abroad and want to know if I can switch carrier OS or VSM.
I have ATT on the bold unlocked and will be going to South Africa. Would prefer to have Vodacom on the bold. Is it possible to overide existing carrier with a new carrier?

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #57
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

If it's unlocked there is no need to rebrand just to use it on another carrier.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #58
Zimbo76

Carrier: ATT
Default Change vsm

So there is no difference in functionality on the phone based on the carrier's software? I was not sure if maybe other carriers had features not available on the ATT. In addition I won't need the att wifi and any att features.
Closed Thread