BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
SallyUK

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Hello Everyone From Sunny Scotland!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Everyone

I'm Sally.

I took delivery of a Pink 8120 Pearl yesterday and it's driving me nuts - lol

I especially wanted it on time before I set off on holiday this Saturday so I could keep in touch with my children and partner when I'm away - using MSN Messenger and Hotmail - but it's not letting me access it says something about not supportin javascripts??

I think I really need a mentor to hold my hand with this gadget!!! lol

Having said that I've set up two email addresses this morning - one for Orange and one for yahoo.

I thought that was quite clever of me! LOL

Sally
x
Old 07-16-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: o2

Wirelessly posted

Hi sally, welcome to BBF

It's sunny in Scotland? Overcast day with rain predicted here in Northern Ireland!

Msn is tricky on a BB but a solution is on the way although it does not appear to be available for uk users yet. As you are going on holiday this Saturday I suggest that you download the free trial of jivetalk ( you can run almost all instant messengers through this) in order to have it for your holiday. The trail is for 14 days I think.

Hotmail email can now be added to blackberry, I set mine up a fortnight ago. If you have no joy use their hotmail mobile site not the full site maybe.

Are you aware that using your data abroad is £8 per mb with Orange? With this in mind it might be a good idea to keep your use to a minimum.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:40 AM   #3
SallyUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
Wirelessly posted

Hi sally, welcome to BBF

It's sunny in Scotland? Overcast day with rain predicted here in Northern Ireland!

Msn is tricky on a BB but a solution is on the way although it does not appear to be available for uk users yet. As you are going on holiday this Saturday I suggest that you download the free trial of jivetalk ( you can run almost all instant messengers through this) in order to have it for your holiday. The trail is for 14 days I think.

Hotmail email can now be added to blackberry, I set mine up a fortnight ago. If you have no joy use their hotmail mobile site not the full site maybe.

Are you aware that using your data abroad is £8 per mb with Orange? With this in mind it might be a good idea to keep your use to a minimum.

Hello Foxglove

Thanks for your reply and the welcome.

I'm not going on holiday out of the UK, unfortunately! Just to visit someone in the family who is ill.

I'd still like to keep in touch though, so even if I could access hotmail emails that would be great, as most of my emails come to that address.

For messenger I see it's got a Yahoo icon so I could use that if I really needed chat?

When I upgraded with Orange, they said something about having to change the settings each time I emailed in order for it to go through Orange and not Blackberry itself, do you know anything about this?

How can I set up Hotmail email now? Is this easy?

Thanks again!

Sally
x
Old 07-16-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

I gotta correct that, the £8 per mb is for outside Europe I believe. It should be cheaper within the EU. Best thing to do is to contact Orange to clarify and find out if you have to add on an international roaming tariff to your account for better rates abroad.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:51 AM   #5
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

Yes hotmail can be set up now in the same way your other accounts were set up. Try it and see. Mine works fine.

I have no idea what orange are talking about there.

Yes you can use yahoo if the person you are contacting has yahoo too and I believe you may be able to run msn through yahoo too. Try it out and see.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:10 AM   #6
SallyUK

Oooh thanks Foxglove - at least I've managed to set up the hotmail accounts that I have, that's always something.

So far this morning, I've managed to set up three email accounts, turn off Sure Text, change the wallpaper - lol - now just have to try and fathom out how to change the ringtones and the SMS message alert - oh and input all my contacts's details into the address book! Arrrgh!

Sal
x
Old 07-16-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

You are doing great

This link will help you set your sms message alert.

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p...profiles%29%3F

I love the suretype, it's a breeze once you get used to it.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
[SIZE=1]Are you aware that using your data abroad is £8 per mb with Orange? With this in mind it might be a good idea to keep your use to a minimum.
T-Mobile UK charge a similar amount. BUT - certainly for email, the BB is very efficient. You get sent plain text versions of email, and the data is compressed too. I was in Africa for a week last year. I used email as 'normal' (maybe 20-30 a day during the visit) and BB Messenger for chatting. My total data roaming bill was ~6 UKP. Not bad.

Just keep away from downloading attachments, browsing the web, using BB or Google Maps, maybe JiveTalk, etc if you go aboard.

John
Old 07-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #9
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyUK View Post
oh and input all my contacts's details into the address book! Arrrgh!
If you've got it syncing to a PC, it's much easier in my experience to do all that on the PC (eg using Outlook or whatever) and just sync it to the BB.

John
Old 07-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: it is under my battery, and status page
Carrier: T-Mobile

welcome to the forum
we are always happy to help
Old 07-17-2008, 05:49 AM   #11
SallyUK

Morning Everyone

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I've today now managed to sort out the alerts, add all the contacts to the address book (at last! lol) and just read about the holster - I thought it was just a normal little black sleeve!

I'm loving this so far, now that I've managed to turn off Sure-Type.

The only thing I have to get used to is the keyboard, as I'm normally used to just texting really fast on the normal mobile phones.

Now, going to have a search for some really good ringtones! lol

Sally
x
Old 07-17-2008, 05:56 AM   #12
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Hi Sally

For "noises" (ringtones/alerts) by all means try the link in my signature here. Should work right on your BlackBerry's browser too

I had a Suretype enabled Blackberry for a while (now an 8300). I was never a great mobile texter, but found the Suretype thing and BlackBerry keyboard really effective after a few days. It even does clever stuff like build it's dictionary automatically from email you send and receive.

John
Old 07-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #13
SallyUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
Hi Sally

For "noises" (ringtones/alerts) by all means try the link in my signature here. Should work right on your BlackBerry's browser too

I had a Suretype enabled Blackberry for a while (now an 8300). I was never a great mobile texter, but found the Suretype thing and BlackBerry keyboard really effective after a few days. It even does clever stuff like build it's dictionary automatically from email you send and receive.

John
Hi John

Thanks a lot, I'll go take a look.

Does anyone know how I can overcome this problem.

I have Yahoo Messenger icon already on my BB, and when I try to connect it says: Connection Error, Please Ensure Device Time Is Correct?

Sal
x
Old 07-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #14
SallyUK

Does anyone know why I might be getting this message??

Thanks,

Sally
x
Old 07-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #15
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Hi Sally, don't have an answer for you, but just wanted to welcome you to BBF.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #16
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

That is an error message I have not seen before, but this forum is the right place to find the answer.

Good luck, and welcome!
Old 07-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #17
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Is the tiime and date right? Ok, I'm sure it looks right But might you have forgotten to set the time zone too in the time/date settings on the BB? That's all I can think of at the moment.
Closed Thread