Carrier: Nextel

Please Login to Remove!

thanks for the list of fixes.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:37 AM   #242
LineNoise
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Well I have a new symptom for my battery issues.

I stopped my the ASC yesterday and got a brand new battery. I put it in and charged it from 10am til ~9pm. And when I took it off the charger I had 75% (3 bars) then it magically jumped to 85% (4 bars) but it won't go any higher.

I am going to try and wipe the handheld and reinstall the update again when I get a free weekend to waste.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:03 PM   #243
lhuff
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAD WIZARD
Wireless headset support
Support has been added to the BlackBerry 7100i™ Wireless Handheld for headsets that allow both Walkie-Talkie (PTT) calls and phone calls.
Does anyone make such a headset??
Old 12-14-2006, 01:53 AM   #244
SimpleComplex
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: TMO8120 & Sprint8330
Default I went through the upgrade, but...

I went through the upgrade and I followed the instructions to a tee. To a tee! In any case, I downloaded the desktop software upgrade as well as the handheld software upgrade. I unzipped the desktop software, it installed several things, several times -- after each time, I rebooted my laptop. Once that was done, I unzipped the handheld software upgrade and upon my next Sync with the desktop manager, my 7100i was upgraded. That worked fine. The whole process took about 1.5 hours --but I digress, the time wasn't a matter.

The problems people described were not an issue for me; namely: 1) Browser went missing but returned after first hard reset, 2) First test of alarm resulted in silence, but after 2 resets, it worked, 3) a new theme loaded and worked, 4) WAV files play, & 5) all 3rd party apps were reloaded.

But now... (and here's a big but!), I have a couple issues that only now occur after the upgrade:

1) No menu item to switch earpieces -- Since the upgrade, while in a phone call, I can no longer tap the trackwheel to select "Activate Handpiece," "Activate Bluetooth...," "Activate Speakerphone," or "Activate Earpiece" I get nothing. So now in a phone call, I can't switch to whichever listening device I desire. Is this in a new section that I'm not familiar with?

2) Password key? -- While synching with Desktop Manager, it now asks me for a "password key" which I have to enter each time. I never had to do this on the previous desktop manager; and though I can assume this is a security feature upgrade, is there a way to turn this off?

3) Weird Incoming Call Window -- The "window" that pops up indicating "Incoming Call" now takes up the entire screen, and though the font used for caller ID is smaller, it's a larger window and looks freakishly un-suave. Is there a way to change this?

[Sidenote: I love the embedded fonts now that are just slightly different than before! These fonts are the fonts that are for things like caller ID info, etc., not the fonts that end-users are able to select.]

Those are my only issues. I do have a couple suggestions which I did as preventative measures, which I gotta believe saved me from many of the problems others encountered:

1) I loaded the desktop manager as described.
2) I used desktop manager to upgrade the handheld OS.
3) Before beginning this entire process, I backed-up all my phone settings using desktop manager.
4) Once the upgrade to handheld OS was done, and I allowed it to wipe out all settings, I then used the upgraded desktop manager to draw from my old back-up file to draw-back all my settings, etc.
5) My first power-down (using the off button, not a reset), I received a "Audio" error and a reset button, I clicked enter and it reset itself --worked fine after that.

I hope someone can help me solve my 3 lingering issues. Please

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2006, 12:35 PM   #245
johnnymac

I am experiencing the same failure as some others - stalled during installation to the handheld, white screen with error code 507 (no OS?) shows up on the handheld.

I'm stuck as to how to recover. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:00 PM   #246
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymac
I am experiencing the same failure as some others - stalled during installation to the handheld, white screen with error code 507 (no OS?) shows up on the handheld.

I'm stuck as to how to recover. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
find a programs called javaloader and run it and then reinstall OS mine did same thing and its working fine now
Old 12-14-2006, 08:17 PM   #247
johnnymac

Thanks. Please bear with me, though, I have a couple more questions.

I found a page on blackberry.com where I can download JDE v4.2. Is javaloader a component of that download?

And I found a page on another site that details some of the tasks you can perform with javaloader. One of them is to wipe the device. Is this what I want to do, then when I connect again Desktop Manager will reinstall the OS?

Sorry if these questions seem inane. I'm relatively inexperienced at these kind things with my 7100. Probably should have left well enough alone with the old os, but I'm committed now.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:36 PM   #248
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Thanks. Please bear with me, though, I have a couple more questions.

I found a page on blackberry.com where I can download JDE v4.2. Is javaloader a component of that download?

No

And I found a page on another site that details some of the tasks you can perform with javaloader. One of them is to wipe the device. Is this what I want to do, then when I connect again Desktop Manager will reinstall the OS?

Yes

Sorry if these questions seem inane. I'm relatively inexperienced at these kind things with my 7100. Probably should have left well enough alone with the old os, but I'm committed now.
its all good man no worrys I dont mind helping you out.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #249
Walt
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130

After reading all these posts about how many problems people are having after upgrading the 7100i I was wondering why exactly would anyone upgrade? If it's to add ringtones then wouldn't seem hardly worth all the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlong995
Just checked the Nextel download page, as I have every day for a while, and it's finally there.
BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.1.0.525 for the 7100i. Can't wait until the download is done.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:00 PM   #250
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt
After reading all these posts about how many problems people are having after upgrading the 7100i I was wondering why exactly would anyone upgrade? If it's to add ringtones then wouldn't seem hardly worth all the trouble.
if youve had as many BBs as I have trust me Wavs are well worth it.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:21 PM   #251
johnnymac

Nice, Dawg! I got a little hung up at the end with a never-ending spinning hourglass, but I did a hard reset and I'm back in action.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:22 AM   #252
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Nice, Dawg! I got a little hung up at the end with a never-ending spinning hourglass, but I did a hard reset and I'm back in action.

Thanks for your help.
Glad I could help. Anything else give me a yell
Old 12-15-2006, 08:29 AM   #253
mdwatts

Model: Curve

ive had no problems at all with my 7100i since the upgrade.....
Old 12-15-2006, 08:41 AM   #254
fishhead64

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

I still can't hear wavs after my upgrade. I used Gmail to get to the BB, I see the wavs in my list, they just don't play. Any Ideas?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:44 AM   #255
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead64
I still can't hear wavs after my upgrade. I used Gmail to get to the BB, I see the wavs in my list, they just don't play. Any Ideas?
I used the coolservice.dk site to upload all mine I didnt have any luck emailing them.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:02 AM   #256
fishhead64

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

I didn't have any luck either way.
Is there another step to complete the process once it's downloaded to my phone? Like I said, I see it in my ringer list, when I select PLAY, nothing happens.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:22 AM   #257
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Is there another step to complete the process once it's downloaded to my phone? Like I said, I see it in my ringer list, when I select PLAY, nothing happens.
the format may be wrong I have heard ppl say that they have had those issues
Old 12-15-2006, 09:32 AM   #258
CAD WIZARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt

Like Dawg said... if you have very many Blackberry's in your organization, the update is well worth it. And personally, the update is worth it for my own use... it's not just ring tones - there are a ton of fixes... refer to my previous post of the fixes list. We had a ton of problems with all these little bugs before the update.

Also, I have installed the update on 10 Blackberries so far.... not a single problem what so ever!
Old 12-15-2006, 09:51 AM   #259
CAD WIZARD

Quote:

Fishhead... you cannot send .wav files to your BlackBerry by use of conventional email messaging. You must use MMS or your BlackBerry browser. To use MMS, send the .wav as an attachment from your Gmail but instead of your email address on your BB, use this format: "cell#"@messaging.nextel.com.

This will work, if you do it right & have the updated OS.

If you know of a webpage, or have access to a webpage you can host files on, this will also work for .wav files on your Blackberry. Navigate to the webpage through your BlackBerry Browser.. presto.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:34 PM   #260
jcl7510

Quote:
I've had mine go silent after working for a while. Cured it with a hard reset.