Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW
Default Escape key feels mushy??

Please Login to Remove!

Just got mine last night. Only thing I've noticed (besides the slightly loose battery door) is that my escape (or back) key feels like it has a middle stop, like on a camera shutter where you can feel resistance halfway, then press harder for a full click. The half click works, so if I just press normally, it feels fine, but if I press a little harder, I can feel two distinct clicks.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:12 AM   #2
complexx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

My right hand side custom button feels the same way, press half way, feel a click, nothing happens, then press further to actually make it work. My end call key does a similar thing too, very noisy, and somewhat of two clicks.

This is either a poor design/bad manufacturing issue and it really detracts from the quality feel of the phone.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
kjjb0204

Yeah, I think I'm going to exchange it today. Might as well find one with a tight battery door as well.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
Yeah, I think I'm going to exchange it today. Might as well find one with a tight battery door as well.

Bests of luck with that Battery Door! Both that I had came with the loose battery door. Honestly, RIM is getting very well known for having terrible quality control. Ahhh, anybody remember the days of just buying one device, and calling it a day with no sticky buttons, loose doors, or even shakey call quality and reception! A LA---8703!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
kjjb0204

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
Bests of luck with that Battery Door! Both that I had came with the loose battery door. Honestly, RIM is getting very well known for having terrible quality control. Ahhh, anybody remember the days of just buying one device, and calling it a day with no sticky buttons, loose doors, or even shakey call quality and reception! A LA---8703!!!
Yeah, my curve was rock solid. It's now my wife's and I'm slightly regretting giving it up.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
MadCruzer

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

I noticed the right side button is two stage. If you leave it set for camera, it works just like a camera would - AF on a half press, then shutter release on a full press.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
complexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCruzer View Post
I noticed the right side button is two stage. If you leave it set for camera, it works just like a camera would - AF on a half press, then shutter release on a full press.
Hmm... So this is the intended design??? I was thinking it was poor manufacturing or just bad design.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
complexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
Yeah, my curve was rock solid. It's now my wife's and I'm slightly regretting giving it up.
I can't believe any of you would rather use that lethargic curve over the Tour. It amazes me.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by complexx View Post
I can't believe any of you would rather use that lethargic curve over the Tour. It amazes me.
I don't think it's a (I'd rather thing)! I speak for a few of us long time users when I say,,,I want what I'm paying for, especially if I'm signing a 2 yr contract with the assuption of it lasting a while. I'm a tec junkie, and I luv new stuff as far as the next guy. But I've been rolling with a Blackberry for a very long time, and there build quality has gone down the toilet, that's right I said it! I luv RIM, but they better take some pointers from some of the other companies out there. Namely HTC, Apple, and the new revamped Palm. I like my device to be rock solid and work, plain and simple. If you can't do that for me, I'll look elsewhere! I highly doubt I'm alone on this one! Come on RIM, 8703 build quality, is that too much to ask?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
complexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
I don't think it's a (I'd rather thing)! I speak for a few of us long time users when I say,,,I want what I'm paying for, especially if I'm signing a 2 yr contract with the assuption of it lasting a while. I'm a tec junkie, and I luv new stuff as far as the next guy. But I've been rolling with a Blackberry for a very long time, and there build quality has gone down the toilet, that's right I said it! I luv RIM, but they better take some pointers from some of the other companies out there. Namely HTC, Apple, and the new revamped Palm. I like my device to be rock solid and work, plain and simple. If you can't do that for me, I'll look elsewhere! I highly doubt I'm alone on this one! Come on RIM, 8703 build quality, is that too much to ask?
I'm a tech junkie as well, and I'm in agreement with you. However, I feel the 8830 was the last verizon BB that had "decent" build quality. It wasn't perfect, but it was better than anything that has been released since then. I think the Tour is on par with the Curve. It's difficult to say one is better than the other. My most recent comment in this thread was merely from a performance standpoint. The Tour absolutely has the upper hand in the speedyness of response time department and for the type of tech junkie I am, that's an important characteristic.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #11
kjjb0204

Quote:
Originally Posted by complexx View Post
I'm a tech junkie as well, and I'm in agreement with you. However, I feel the 8830 was the last verizon BB that had "decent" build quality. It wasn't perfect, but it was better than anything that has been released since then. I think the Tour is on par with the Curve. It's difficult to say one is better than the other. My most recent comment in this thread was merely from a performance standpoint. The Tour absolutely has the upper hand in the speedyness of response time department and for the type of tech junkie I am, that's an important characteristic.
I can only base my comments on my own experience. My first four bb's (7290vzw, 7290tmo, 8830, 8330) all felt rock solid out of the box. Never had issues with fit/finish, keyboard issues. Having issues with the battery door and mushy escape key on my Tour. The speed and performance is great and if I can exchange it for another tour without those two issues, I'll probably stick with the Tour.
Closed Thread