b52junebug
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Many
Carrier: Corp demo abuser..
Post RIM Slashing Guidance and announcing layoffs

Please Login to Remove!

Technology Alert
from The Wall Street Journal

Research In Motion slashed its guidance and announced plans for layoffs, as the BlackBerry maker feels the heat from rival devices such as the iPhone and iPad.

Shares tumbled 15% to $30 in after-hours trading, after closing at $35.33 on the Nasdaq Stock market Thursday.

In the first quarter, RIM earned $695 million, or $1.33 a share, in line with the Thomson Reuters mean estimate of $1.32 and at the midpoint of RIM's latest guidance for earnings of $1.30 to $1.37 a share.

Revenue was $4.91 billion. Analysts were looking for revenue of $5.150 billion, according to Thomson Reuters.

RIM said its full-year earnings guidance is now $5.25 to $6 a share, well below the $7.50 it was previously expecting. Its second-quarter earnings and revenue guidance are also well below Street expectations.

BlackBerry Maker Cuts Guidance, Plans Layoffs - WSJ.com
Old 06-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
b52junebug
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Many
Carrier: Corp demo abuser..
Default Re: RIM Slashing Guidance and announcing layoffs

good time to buy stock..
Old 06-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
hondacrvaz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular/at&t

Unfortunately this doesn't come as a surprise. Such a shame.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Begin death spiral
Old 06-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Good grief.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
The Prophet
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Tempted to buy at these levels...But I fear buying now is like trying to catch a falling knife
Old 06-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Buying now would be a mistake. Catching a falling knife, blade first, while the handle was on fire might be a better description.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Buying now would be a mistake. Catching a falling knife, blade first, while the handle was on fire might be a better description.
Agreed. Sounds like RIM is ripe for the picking by another company, MS perhaps?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

Not likely. RIM still has plenty of cash on hand, at least at the moment.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
Colonel Panic
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A

RIM

RIM needs to get things moving fast. The iPhone came out in 2007, not sure why they did nothing for so long
Old 06-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
Colonel Panic
Thumbs Must Hurt

I think this answers my question.

Everything That's Wrong With Research In Motion -- An Ex-Employee Tells All

Read more: Everything That's Wrong With Research In Motion -- An Ex-Employee Tells All

Everything That's Wrong With Research In Motion -- An Ex-Employee Tells All
Old 06-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #12
Tillia
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

Projections were off but compared to last year at this time they are up year over year. I always find it interesting how people run with a story that if you really dig into the details you find that projections were off. The company is still raking in billions of dollars and that is nothing to sneeze at. I'd say the explosive growth was bound to level off at sooner or later. It happens to every company and RIM's growth rate has been crazy!
Is there a lot of work ahead of them. Yes. Do they need to take a real close look at everything and retool the machine. Definately. But the sky isn't falling people. It really isn't.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #13
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillia View Post
Projections were off but compared to last year at this time they are up year over year. I always find it interesting how people run with a story that if you really dig into the details you find that projections were off. The company is still raking in billions of dollars and that is nothing to sneeze at. I'd say the explosive growth was bound to level off at sooner or later. It happens to every company and RIM's growth rate has been crazy!
Is there a lot of work ahead of them. Yes. Do they need to take a real close look at everything and retool the machine. Definately. But the sky isn't falling people. It really isn't.
They're not leveling off, they're declining and projecting further declines.

"Revenue for the first quarter of fiscal 2012 was $4.9 billion, down 12% from $5.6 billion in the previous quarter..."

"Revenue for the second quarter of fiscal 2012 ending August 27, 2011 is expected to be in the range of $4.2-$4.8 billion."

Net income was down even more. Less than the prior year even with higher revenue.

"Net income for the quarter was $695 million, or $1.33 per share diluted, compared with net income of $934 million, or $1.78 per share diluted, in the prior quarter and net income of $769 million, or $1.38 per share diluted, in the same quarter last year."

"Earnings per share for the second quarter are expected to be $0.75-$1.05 diluted."

I listened to an earnings conference call back when I owned the stock and it was the worst conference call I've ever heard. One of the two CEOs was on and he seemed way too engineering oriented. Also seemed a little out of touch with what was going on with products and didn't instill much confidence overall.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #14
Robert_K

Model: 8830

Until they "get it" continue to watch the knife fall.

This year was my 3rd at WES / BlackBerry World and I was surprised at how many people told me they were not planning to return next year in lieu of attending a wireless conference that covered much more than just BlackBerry. I have a feeling that our company plans to follow in that lead.

Its not just the handhelds market they are losing in but also the enterprise management segment as Good Tech, 3LM, Boxtone, etc. continue to offer similar management solutions for other platforms.

My bet is that someone like MS or Dell could possibly buy them up. Of course a cultural change is much needed at both of those companies too.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #15
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillia View Post
Couldn't agree more!! Seems like there's a number of former BB users who would take great delight in seeing the demise of RIM. Sad.....
Old 06-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #16
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard S. View Post
Couldn't agree more!! Seems like there's a number of former BB users who would take great delight in seeing the demise of RIM. Sad.....
And why do you think that is. Maybe because they saw RIM as lazy and unable to learn from the past [Palm]. Maybe they saw RIM's CEOs as arrogant and out of touch with the market. Maybe because they saw a platform that they loved fall into the toilet because of the above 2 reasons.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:16 AM   #17
bbpremier

Model: None
PIN: Why Do People Post Their PIN
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

I worked their about 3 years ago and it's amazing how arrogant Jim Basillie is. I watched him tear someone to pieces publicly simply for asking how RIM where go to keep ahead of the curve in light of the new enterprise security and provisioning features Microsoft where puting into Exchange. In his words Microsoft, Apple, HTC will never catch up, and will never compete.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #18
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbpremier View Post
I worked their about 3 years ago and it's amazing how arrogant Jim Basillie is. I watched him tear someone to pieces publicly simply for asking how RIM where go to keep ahead of the curve in light of the new enterprise security and provisioning features Microsoft where puting into Exchange. In his words Microsoft, Apple, HTC will never catch up, and will never compete.
I'm not surprised. That's why HTC, Apple and Google are on the way up and RIM is on the way down. Jimmy and Mickey are both clueless buffoons living in the past.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #19
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Jimmy and Mickey are both clueless buffoons living in the past.
And you have nothing better to do than watch for news about them and take the time to comment on anything negative.

What does that say about you?

Enough already.......
Closed Thread