Old 11-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #1
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default PRIV inthe news

Please Login to Remove!

The local news paper in Connecticut ran an full page article from the Associated Press on the newest cell phones available. Listed on top was the Blackberry PRIV. the article detailed the features and security. It gave high marks to security other do not have including other Android and I-Phones.
Amazing considering the lack of press on the new BB phones from anyone including Blackberry.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors
Default Re: PRIV inthe news

PRIV is the official forum.

I have one on order too.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #3
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon

I picked it and messed around with in the AT&T store yesterday. Seems pretty nice.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:21 AM   #4
bombinho
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: many
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Unhappy Re: PRIV inthe news

I loved the idea of the Priv a lot. It would have been the first Blackberry with mobile payment systems available. But I do not like the idea of the non removable battery. But even worse is the AMO-LED display?! Bound to fail in cold conditions and likely to fail before the device hits 2 years of age? Why?

What is the problem with a decent IPS display? The little bit more power draw? The fact it will even work after 5 years? Plenty AMO-LED displays I have seen starting to fail being just over 1 year old. Green display, no display, barely readable etc.

My good old 9500 still serves in its pod as a very reliable alarm clock as since BB OS10 this function has been crippled to a point of unreliability.
And I can still get batteries for it.

Don't get me wrong, the multiple alarms are great, but after taking the phone of its third party cradle (the original cradles have only been seen on pictures) in the morning to silent the alarm I need to fiddle to be able to still see the time. If I forgot to fiddle with it at night time I need to get up again.
As this phone was meant to be working for me and not the other way round it still gets accompanied by older Blackberries that do as supposed.

The memories about the Z10 happily sharing its flash with every computer etc. that did get connected via USB are still fresh. Though in the meantime the password protection has put an end to this unwanted behaviour. I hope for others that the Priv does not get plagued by similar nasty glitches.

A windows phone starts looking much more likely to be the future replacement for my good old Z10. And a lot of fun with .Net then

I was looking forward to the Priv but that is not what I was waiting for. Another phone made for kids that break/loose their phone frequently?

Last edited by bombinho; 11-15-2015 at 12:27 AM..
Old 11-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #5
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

First BB with mobile payment was the 9900 (In fact, first ever credit card payment by phone in Canada was with a 9900), I also used one as my virtual access card (NFC). I am going to assume you mean Google Wallet or some other mobile wallet/payment system is available because of the Android ecosystem?

The problem of power consumption is slowly getting better for both IPS LCD (Newer tech that improves on the old TFT IPS standard), and Super AMOLED (May or may not contain a + or an Edge or a HD), which is certainly an upgrade from the original AMOs. I've seen plenty of Amos burn over the years but with the newer gens like Super HD AMOLEDs haven't seen it unless it was a store demo unit (display always on and full brightness). The Z30 runs an AMO display and mine is still good to at just under 2 years. So YMMV.

So many fallacies, so little time. I thought we were discussing the Priv, not the 9500(Really?) or how BBOS doesn't make alarm clocks like they used to. You seem disappointed that you have to fiddle with your device after connecting or disconnecting to a third party cradle? I haven't used this device with a cradle and time telling could not be simpler (I pick it up, and it turns on and tells me the time). The alarm is alright, but 3rd party alarms exist in the Android universe that could probably fit your needs.

The priv needs one or two apps off Google to fix that, and a password to have a device give up the goods is only smarter. What glitch?

Windows devices are pretty good, though I don't keep up on current affairs, from wht I understand, if you run a PC and use Windows 10, Windows phones are great. Meh, YMMV.

You were looking forward to an alarm clock, or a cradle. I don't believe you used this device, and if you did, not for longer than 12 hours (and I am pretty sure you were asleep for at least half of those)

My only complaint is the DTEK Security suite, which, while very informative, doesn't really allow me to do anything about it on an app by app scale, all I can really do is turn off options for all my apps, or uninstall the spying app. This is a limitation of Android's 5.1.x Lollipop OS, and is fixed with Marshmallow. From what I understand, we should be getting access to 6.x.x in February or March. Who knows? The Priv is my daily driver and while it's not as BlackBerry as my older Z30/10, I still enjoy using it.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:51 AM   #6
bombinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBerry View Post
First BB with mobile payment was the 9900 (In fact, first ever credit card payment by phone in Canada was with a 9900), I also used one as my virtual access card (NFC). I am going to assume you mean Google Wallet or some other mobile wallet/payment system is available because of the Android ecosystem?

The problem of power consumption is slowly getting better for both IPS LCD (Newer tech that improves on the old TFT IPS standard), and Super AMOLED (May or may not contain a + or an Edge or a HD), which is certainly an upgrade from the original AMOs. I've seen plenty of Amos burn over the years but with the newer gens like Super HD AMOLEDs haven't seen it unless it was a store demo unit (display always on and full brightness). The Z30 runs an AMO display and mine is still good to at just under 2 years. So YMMV.

[Snip]
Hi ZombieBerry

Well I am talking about a facility to be able to take payments. Some businesses rely on having to take payments from customers .
Here in UK is no such system available for BB. And none of the providers currently plans to support BBOS. Rather initial attempts have been cancelled and initial interest has changed to rigorous blocking user/dev attempts to still get existing apps working. Like preventing the download of the app on Amazon for BBs. It feels sometimes as if you have a contagious illness carrying a Blackberry. Anything that really could make work life easier is not available for Blackberry. Hence my initial interest in the Priv.

I am not saying that there are no AMOLED displays that do endure the average 2 years of phones somehow. But it is and will be for foreseeable time be a problem that the organic materials do "die" more or less rapidly. As of yet I have not read of a breakthrough rather baby steps in development.

As for the alarm clock it was the simplicity. All you had to do is site the phone in the cradle. Job done. No wiping and swiping with blurred eyes in the morning spending ages to unlock the thing. A big clear display and all you have to do is look at it. Hey and it still looks the part too.

Meanwhile I have given up the hope that someone at Blackberry looks at user friendliness in the next time. I believe they are rather battling to get it to work.

Making or adapting an OS is not a simple task for one or two employees on a bad weather morning. BBOS up to 7 were rather evolutions. Then there was Playbook OS, BBOS 10, Android and what not. And all that in the frame of a few years.
Very confusing for developers, users, suppliers, accessory manufacturers.

I believe if Blackberry gets a bit of stability and a clear line then the user can become the focus again and user friendliness and ergonomics will starkly improve. Those little things that make your life easy, that give you a good feeling rather the impression you are an employee of your phone.
Well maybe I do not believe but hope.

But it is nice to hear that you have noticed the improvement on the AMOLED technology. How about usability in cold conditions?
Old 11-16-2015, 05:56 AM   #7
bombinho

By the way. Has the Priv magnetic sensors? I love my magnetic holsters to bits.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:06 AM   #8
bombinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBerry View Post
[snip]
So many fallacies, so little time. I thought we were discussing the Priv, not the 9500(Really?) or how BBOS doesn't make alarm clocks like they used to. You seem disappointed that you have to fiddle with your device after connecting or disconnecting to a third party cradle? I haven't used this device with a cradle and time telling could not be simpler (I pick it up, and it turns on and tells me the time). The alarm is alright, but 3rd party alarms exist in the Android universe that could probably fit your needs.
[snip]
Yes, Priv, but from the perspective "has it developed forward?" So it has to compare to its predecessors.

Almost right, there is disappointment. But not about the third party cradle but the inexistence of a Blackberry cradle for the Z10/Z30. It was promised and it was meant to be the only cradle the Z10 would recognize to enter the bedside mode.

Would you say the Priv is an improvement over Z10/Z30/Passport?
Old 11-16-2015, 07:33 AM   #9
ZombieBerry

Again? Why do you mention the Z series or the Passport. I haven't used a Passport and don't intend to. So I couldn't say.

I like the Priv better than Z10/30.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:11 AM   #10
bombinho

Why do I mention those phones? I thought that I had answered that.

And I was hoping to find you so much excited about the Priv that you are proud to get me a huge list of things that are better on the Priv than on the mentioned phones.

Rather just a statement like "I like the Priv better than Z10/30.".
Old 11-16-2015, 09:13 AM   #11
bombinho

But no offense, I accept it is to early to have found all those exciting bits about the Priv.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #12
ZombieBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombinho View Post
Why do I mention those phones? I thought that I had answered that.

And I was hoping to find you so much excited about the Priv that you are proud to get me a huge list of things that are better on the Priv than on the mentioned phones.

Rather just a statement like "I like the Priv better than Z10/30.".
Yeah, my bad, I missed your first post and only saw the second. It's just a phone. You've already used one so there really isn't much to say. It's a great phone for me, sure I miss some of the BBOS stuff like the quick hub, but I'll adapt and survive.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 11-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #13
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Blackberry is having a Black Friday sale but it seems they are only offering the Classic and Passport. One would think the entire line would be offered to boost visibility of the product.
Closed Thread