Old 05-09-2011, 04:40 AM   #1
withnail69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange
Default sick of my bold 9700

Please Login to Remove!

Hiya. I've had my bold for too long now obviously (don't think its suppose to last as long as it has). Battery life is appalling no matter what battery I use. My unlock and on buttons don't work (depending on which version of the os I have installed.... long story) I need a new handset. Is there a handset where I don't have to manually turn off my mobile network and connect to my home wi-fi everytime I get home. Is there any handset on the market yet that can detect that I am at home and connect to wi-fi and turn 3g off? What handset would you guys get if you could get a new one today. I see there is a new bold coming out but I am in the UK and it will probably be a while before it comes out over here. Many thanks in advance
Old 05-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: sick of my bold 9700

Why are you turning the mobile network off? I have a 9700 and leave mobile network and wifi on all the time, and the device connects to a saved wifi whenever i am in range. So, I do not see your complaint, unless you are absolutely trying to avoid mobile data charges when you are on wifi.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
withnail69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Why are you turning the mobile network off? I have a 9700 and leave mobile network and wifi on all the time, and the device connects to a saved wifi whenever i am in range. So, I do not see your complaint, unless you are absolutely trying to avoid mobile data charges when you are on wifi.
That is exactly why I am turning the mobile network off
Old 05-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
madhatter2426

Model: 9700
PIN: 223E4F66
Carrier: Vodafone UK

I'm in the UK, if you bb is connected to your home wifi it will use this over the mobile network for data.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 05-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
anar_baku
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone
Cool Re: sick of my bold 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by withnail69 View Post
Is there any handset on the market yet that can detect that I am at home and connect to wi-fi and turn 3g off? What handset would you guys get if you could get a new one today. I see there is a new bold coming out but I am in the UK and it will probably be a while before it comes out over here. Many thanks in advance
Just to reinforce the other comments here - you don't need to switch off your 3G to connect to WiFi. Just leave both on and the WiFi will automatically get connected if you're in the coverage area and if the signal is good it will take precedence over your 3G connection for data transfers.

Re new bold (9900) - I don't think we in the UK would have to wait for much longer than any other country. Vodafone has already announced it will be coming to it:

BlackBerry Bold 9900 smartphone ? coming soon to Vodafone

Having said this, I'm sure there won't be anything different on 9900 in terms of how it connects to WiFi. The current setup is very logical and so not sure anyone will be changing anything on that front.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Here is where the OP is coming from, I believe. There are forum members who have reported mobile network charges or data use counted against their allowance when the know they had wifi on and the BlackBerry was connected to wifi. Still, the BlackBerry for whatever reasons used the mobile network for some data, even while wifi was also in use.

My memory is the amounts of data dropped onto the mobile network, and the costs, were small. It was the principle of the matter for those members.

So, the bottom line is if you want to guarantee that the mobile network is not used at all, then disable mobile network.

That said, I don't see how the OP will ever get what he is asking for. The handset is going to use the data pipeline that is acceptable and preferable at the given moment in time, and seems to me any handset is going to do the same thing; and the only way to avoid the mobile network is to disable it. But I could be wrong with regard to other devices.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:56 AM   #7
withnail69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Here is where the OP is coming from, I believe. There are forum members who have reported mobile network charges or data use counted against their allowance when the know they had wifi on and the BlackBerry was connected to wifi. Still, the BlackBerry for whatever reasons used the mobile network for some data, even while wifi was also in use.

My memory is the amounts of data dropped onto the mobile network, and the costs, were small. It was the principle of the matter for those members.

So, the bottom line is if you want to guarantee that the mobile network is not used at all, then disable mobile network.

That said, I don't see how the OP will ever get what he is asking for. The handset is going to use the data pipeline that is acceptable and preferable at the given moment in time, and seems to me any handset is going to do the same thing; and the only way to avoid the mobile network is to disable it. But I could be wrong with regard to other devices.
Thanks Ali. Thats very useful info. I wanted to avoid having my wifi and mobile network turned on at all times cause the battery life will be ridiculously short with all that pinging! In an ideal world I'd like a "You appear to be in range of your home wi-fi network would you like to turn on wi-fi and connect to it?" message to appear. I can dream right? ;)
Old 05-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Two points. First, I run with wifi enabled all the time (or at least almost all the time) and I don't see a significant hit on the battery.

Second, you will get a notice that the handset detects a wifi network, but only if wifi is enabled, and if you have enabled prompt in the wifi setup options. If wifi is disabled, you won't be prompted, hence the meaning of the word "disabled."
Closed Thread