Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #21
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

How does it screw it up? Well, you've never tried it, have you?

There are countless threads on this in this forum, long threads. Say you are in LA and fly to NYC. You've previously entered a 6pm meeting in NYC and a return flight the next day morning at 10am.

So, you arrive NYC and set your Eastern timezone. All of a sudden, your 6pm meeting is now in the calendar for 9pm and your return flight at 1pm. You don't notice those changed to your calendar, though, nothing alerts they have changed. So, you miss the meeting and hopefully not your flight the next day.

It's happened, many times, read the forums here.

So, the point is, if the TZ were set to change automatically, people will be yelling around here like NEVER before. At least in OS 5.0, it will be an option to change the setting to automatic, not by default.

Anyway, there is a way to do it correctly, by setting your appointments with the correct Timezone. Most people don't do or don't know how to do that. More details here: http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p..._Time_Zones%3F

Last edited by JSanders; 09-11-2009 at 09:10 AM..
Old 09-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #22
tduffy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I live near the border of central/mountain time zone and I'm GLAD blackberrys don't switch automatically. when I used to carry a dumb phone it would switch back and forth constantly depending on what tower it was picking up and it was very annoying.

Why is this even an issue? seriously. When traveling to a diff. time zone, change it on your phone. How hard is that???
Old 09-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #23
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
How hard is that???
Apparently for some people, it's quite difficult for them to know they have traveled to or landed on a flight in a new timezone.

Yes, it has been posted here before by a quite angry user who flew through a hub city (and a new TZ as well) and almost missed his flight because his BlackBerry device time was an hour off. The HUGE flight boards and PA announcements didn't phase him.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #24
dimi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
How does it screw it up? Well, you've never tried it, have you?
As I said, I have tried it, for 13 years. It is much better to be automatic (for me, not for everyone . . . that's why I want the option).

Quote:
, you arrive NYC and set your Eastern timezone. All of a sudden, your 6pm meeting is now in the calendar for 9pm and your return flight at 1pm. You don't notice those changed to your calendar, though, nothing alerts they have changed. So, you miss the meeting and hopefully not your flight the next day.
This has never happened to me because when I book a flight out of NYC to go home that departs at 6PM NY time I enter 6PM in my calendar. Unless you have time zones turned on in Outlook this will not change when you adjust your BB time (I know because I have had my BB for a month worth of trips now).

Quote:
, there is a way to do it correctly, by setting your appointments with the correct Timezone. Most people don't do or don't know how to do that.
I do know how to do this and tried it but it is not helpful (IMHO). Since I make all the appointments with people in local time it is much easier to enter them that way.

I repeat, this is Chocolate or Vanilla. Different people will choose to organize their schedule in whatever way is most intuitive for them. Thus the OPTION is key.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #25
tduffy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Apparently for some people, it's quite difficult for them to know they have traveled to or landed on a flight in a new timezone.

Yes, it has been posted here before by a quite angry user who flew through a hub city (and a new TZ as well) and almost missed his flight because his BlackBerry device time was an hour off. The HUGE flight boards and PA announcements didn't phase him.
hmmm..... wonder how people traveled before cell phones with auto TZ update existed?
Old 09-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #26
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

It's all a moot point for now anyway.

The option for auto TZ update is not present in the current OSs.

The options for auto TZ update will be present in OS 5.0 (at least in those I have seen).
Old 09-12-2009, 04:00 AM   #27
SoCaliTrojan

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi View Post
This has never happened to me because when I book a flight out of NYC to go home that departs at 6PM NY time I enter 6PM in my calendar. Unless you have time zones turned on in Outlook this will not change when you adjust your BB time (I know because I have had my BB for a month worth of trips now).
This situation won't work for people who work for large companies, especially those who have to travel alot. Having everything done in local time only works for the casual traveler who doesn't have alot of entries on his/her calendar. Automatic time zone changes can also be screwy around daylight saving time, especially if you travel to an area that unexpectedly doesn't follow it or perhaps follows a different start/end date.

As you admit in your first post, this is your first blackberry. The blackberry isn't aimed for the general population, it's aimed for business-oriented people.

I'm not trying to say that your desire is wrong. I'm just trying to get you to understand the purpose of this "feature". (Yes, it is a feature to me.) It's like trying to race a Honda Civic in a Formula 1 race or use a golf cart to pick up trash on trash day: each vehicle is built for a specific purpose. Cell phones are the same in that respect: each model has a different purpose.

If you want to continue your practice of using local time, then you'll have to manually change the time zone. It's not hard, especially if you've just landed and the pilot is telling you what the local time is.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #28
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Windows Mobile may be the device OS you need. Give a look at the Motorola Q. BlackBerry styling, WinMo OS, and a damn fine keypad, and it gets great RF reception. I had one and loved the quality. I just didn't dig on Windows Mobile.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #29
Bing0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimn367 View Post
It is a legit feature and a legit request and a legit post

One of the nice features of this forum was that it was
1) An atmosphere of people helping people
2) Not lurked by jerks who who pounce with 'that's stupid' or 'can't you use search'
Notice I said 'was'

PIM programs for the Palm and PPC like Agendus could keep the time zones straight, because Time zome was part of calender event data. I believe the BB is capable of this as well.
I agree totally. I haven't had a problem here but on another forum, (cberryforums) <- nick I was interacting in a thread where I simply was agreeing with the OP that giving a VZW rep my password for my email account was something that I was not willing to do. I was attacked personally! Then a mod deleted all of my posts which were clearly making my point. I received no notification as well. I was personally attacked with this guy saying that I was not an intelligent person.

There was more. And I was not completely innocent in all of this but, the actions of a mod (I don't know who) added to the scenario where I was clearly only trying to defend my position and myself personally left me feeling bad.

I know it must be difficult to administer a forum like this and the other one that I mentioned, but this was pretty easily wrong.

Oh yeah these people who were attacking me were Verizon Emplyoees. I know I prolly should not post this here I wanted to respond to this post.

Please Excuse Me,

Bing0

Last edited by Bing0; 09-12-2009 at 09:47 PM..
Old 09-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #30
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Good post. Perhaps I missed it but does it have ANYTHING to do with automated time zone changes?

Nope.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #31
Bing0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Good post. Perhaps I missed it but does it have ANYTHING to do with automated time zone changes?

Nope.
If you had read the whole thing, you would have seen my admission of guilt and then my request to please excuse this one.

Bing0
Old 09-13-2009, 03:32 AM   #32
swstranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan View Post
This situation won't work for people who work for large companies, especially those who have to travel alot. Having everything done in local time only works for the casual traveler who doesn't have alot of entries on his/her calendar. Automatic time zone changes can also be screwy around daylight saving time, especially if you travel to an area that unexpectedly doesn't follow it or perhaps follows a different start/end date.

As you admit in your first post, this is your first blackberry. The blackberry isn't aimed for the general population, it's aimed for business-oriented people.

I'm not trying to say that your desire is wrong. I'm just trying to get you to understand the purpose of this "feature". (Yes, it is a feature to me.) It's like trying to race a Honda Civic in a Formula 1 race or use a golf cart to pick up trash on trash day: each vehicle is built for a specific purpose. Cell phones are the same in that respect: each model has a different purpose.

If you want to continue your practice of using local time, then you'll have to manually change the time zone. It's not hard, especially if you've just landed and the pilot is telling you what the local time is.
The whole point is it should be an OPTION, which apparently it will be is OS 5.0. This is one of the dumber threads I've read.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #33
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by swstranger View Post
The whole point is it should be an OPTION, which apparently it will be is OS 5.0. This is one of the dumber threads I've read.
Oh, you have read any of the other few dozen threads on this same subject!
Old 09-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #34
swstranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Oh, you have read any of the other few dozen threads on this same subject!
I read a similar thread a year or so ago. It was dumb then, and it's dumb now. It should be a USER OPTION.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #35
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

It WOULD be, if enough people cared. The fact that RIM hasn't done it yet speaks volumes. Not enough people care about it. If you really need it, get Windows Mobile.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #36
swstranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
It WOULD be, if enough people cared. The fact that RIM hasn't done it yet speaks volumes. Not enough people care about it. If you really need it, get Windows Mobile.
That's your "guess". If it's in OS 5.0, then you couldn't be more wrong.

Taking 3 seconds to do a google search, the first result is:

http://blackberryrocks.com/2009/07/1...-backups-more/

Maybe true, maybe not. My hunch is your opinion that BB doesn't think people care about the time zone option couldn't be more wrong.

Last edited by swstranger; 09-13-2009 at 01:33 PM..
Closed Thread