Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
MonkeyGrass
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9600
Carrier: Verizon
Default Ring tones not recognized

Please Login to Remove!

Ok guys, I'm getting some flaky behavior from my new Tour... MP3 ringtones, that are in the proper folder, will not play for some reason. If I try to assign them to contacts or in the Ringtones/alerts menu, I get a msg "invalid ringtone selected, please make another selection" popup.

When I go to media player to just play the ringtone, it won't start. Just sits there on 0:00 and refuses to play. These are perfectly fine MP3's they were on the same SD card I took out of my Pearl and they actually worked fine for a day or two on the tour... now - nothing. Regular MP3's on the same card play and are selectable as ringers, just not the ones I have trimmed down to 20secs in the ringtones folder.

Any ideas, mighty BB gurus of BBF?
Old 08-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
MonkeyGrass

It appears that my Tour just arbitrarily deleted about 60% of my ringtones... they show up in the ringtones list on the BB as files, but when hooked up to my PC and browsing the disk in Explorer - there's no file there. So it looks like the Tour just decided it didn't like the files, and deleted them, but kept the file names in memory.

Weird. I'm going to copy over my keeper pics and mp3's, reformat the card from scratch and re-load everything. This might have something to do with taking it straight from the Pearl and just sticking it in the Tour, but it was recognized when I first inserted it, and all my data was there for the first 2 days. Hmmmmmmm.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
jabo052
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

I removed my mini-SD card from my 8830 and put it in my laptop. Used the media manager, on BB Desktop Manager, to copy my ringtones and pics to my card in my Tour. All my mp3 ringtones are ones that I created from my music collection. I used the media manger to to chop the tracks down to ringtone size.

I haven't experienced your issues. Maybe you could use the media manager to move them from your card to your computer, then reformat the card and move them back to it. I've found there are a few ways of trasferring that stuff using Desktop Manager.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
MonkeyGrass

Yeah, the only stuff I lost was about a dozen custom MP3 20 sec ringers I had created in Audacity. I ended up copying my pics and stuff I wanted to save onto my PC via Explorer, reformatted the card, and now I'm using the new Media Sync to copy over a custom playlist I created in iTunes. This is going to be SO. MUCH. BETTER. A sync-able playlist I can manage in iTunes for my BB? Who'da thunk it? I wouldn't have even put that on a wish list! Between that and unlocked GPS for my own personal use (without VZCrapigator), I'm in shock. Best BB ever, IMO. Mostly b/c VZW isn't crippling it like they have every other 'berry they've carried.

Now that I can manage my music thru itunes and use full sized MP3's as ringtones, I really don't need the ones I chopped up into 20 second bits anymore. Too cool.