Old 11-30-2005, 07:54 PM   #262
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by word2218
ok - another update. I was fine today up until the afternoon, when the dreaded data connection refused came back. I'm beginning to think that this occurs when the blackberry switches to another tower, and that the EVDO PRL is not playing nicely with the updated software.

I spent about 2 hours on the phone with B2B Data support, and after removing all the features, then adding them all back on about 3 times, doing *22899, HRT - register, restarts, etc etc. I still had the problem. Got escalated up to tier 2, and has not reappeared since. The tier 2 rep also mentioned he suspected it might be a RIM software bug in 4.0.2 cuz he had several other calls on this. I think the problem might come back tomorrow when I travel into work, but I'm not sure.

I've noticed a new feature on my account:

IP UNRESTRICTED under DATA - under there, I also have Unlimited Data Usage, and NATIONALACCESS ROAM

under expressnetwork, I have EVDO ALLOWANCE and NATIONALACCESS ROAM again

Kontiki - since you seem to have absolutely no problems whatsoever, do you mind if I ask you if you travel a lot, especially out of areas that DO NOT have EVDO service? That might be the thing here. When I'm in Manhattan, I don't have any problems, and I know I'm in an established EVDO area, but its when I'm in a fringe area or a place that doesn't have EVDO is when the problems are showing up
I travel all over the state of NJ. In and out of EVDO.. I live in the Montclair area there is EVDO here, I work in Flanders there is no EVDO there or at best it is fringe. When I am home it shows as 1XEV, when I am at work it shows as 1X or 1XEV occassionaly, but though it switches I never get the dreaded data connection refused. I have only gotten that once in 6 months and it was way before EVDO and it is in an area that all cellulars have trouble, I have confirmed same issues with att, cingular, nextel, sprint, verizon.

With all due respect to Mark and his FAQ and the other people that have posted this was my experience. I got this done the very first night it was available. I had to escalate two tiers of support to get someone who knew what was going on but that aside. All I did was follow the suggestions off the very first post/ I called and asked for them to turn on Broadband Access Connect. I gave them no code at all, and I have never had to do the ##000000 and the sip passwords and all of that other stuff that has been suggested all along by others.

My BB is fully loaded with all sort of software, the only thing that may be a bit unusual is this, I got my BB from e-bay it worked fine until one day we had a bit of difficulty installing something and I called Verizon, the tech insisted in exchanging it, and mailed me a new one. No sooner than I hung up I resolved the issue but since there was another on its way and with a full 1 yr warranty I exchanged it. The only thing that comes to mind is that being refurbished maybe something on this BB was different and that makes a difference. I am reaching out but trying to give you the whole picture.

Other than that I have not done anything to it sinc e the upgrade. I also was very careful in following the instructions that were posted. I made sure the new desktop manager was in place before I called Verizon to activate, then i did the handheld upgrade. Other than the excalation on the two tiers of BB support everything else went smooth, and that was simply due to the fact that the lower levels had no clue as to what was happening. Hope this helps and sorry for the long oration.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 11-30-2005, 10:56 PM   #263
evandt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

working perfectly Baltimore, NYC(all over) and LA(all over) full EVDO speeds almost all the time.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:21 PM   #264
BrianW
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I just got my account provisioned yesterday and I didn't have to go through any hoops.

My only question is how to downgrade the handheld software if need be.

So, by this weekend I'll be able to report back and tell everyone how it works here in the Seattle area.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:29 PM   #265
rinconmike

Model: 8703

So far today, on both the 7250 and 7130 no data connection refused. It has jumped from 1XEV to 1X while driving but that is it.

I did run *22899 this morning since it is the 1st of the month.

Maybe Verzion did something with the Network!!

Last edited by rinconmike; 12-01-2005 at 02:35 PM..
Old 12-01-2005, 02:50 PM   #266
word2218
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: up
Carrier: T-Mob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconmike
So far today, on both the 7250 and 7130 no data connection refused. It has jumped from 1XEV to 1X while driving but that is it.

I did run *22899 this morning since it is the 1st of the month.

Maybe Verzion did something with the Network!!
same thing happening with me.. im crossing my fingers and hoping its been resolved.

kontiki - thanks for your response, I had a similar situation to yours, mine is also refurbished due to the first one acting up, but I am a b2b customer, and I guess my transition just wasn't as smooth as yours.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #267
EzraWright

Model: 8830

Got the run around from the first tech. He said it was only offered on the 7130. I very nicley eplained that I was looking at their website and it had the update for the 2750. He still argued so I asked to speak with someone above him. The next tech fixed up my account in record time.

Had no problems updating desktop and BB.

Thanks alot guys...
Old 12-01-2005, 04:01 PM   #268
Shadowlaw

Model: 7250

Newly registered, followed Mark's guide to enable EVDO on my Verizon 7250-it was extremely helpful. I had a few gliches along the way, but when I called the Verizon folks to straighten them out, I got the impression that the tech I spoke to had also read these boards and found them helpful. 2 lessons learned in my activation and a question--I had the dreaded "no data connection" issue, and we found that the customer care rep who told me the account was set up had put in only the tethering code, not the EVDO code, which caused the problem. 2d lesson, probably obvious to the power users-when on a BES system, the Enterprise activation has to be done hooked up to the computer on the system. I loaded the desktop software on my laptop, as that was the computer I would use for tethering, but since the BES is on my office system, I had to hook in there before I could get connected.

Now for the question--I ran VZAccess, and it set up the 7250 as 1xRTT, even though I am showing 1xEV on the 7250. Is that sufficient to get EVDO speeds on the connection, or do I need to find a way to get VZAccess to set up an EVDO connection? When I test the WWAN device through VZ access, it shows the device as EVDO capable.

Thanks again for the incredibly helpful info in this thread.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:09 PM   #269
rinconmike

Model: 8703

I was able to the the Enterprise Activation without the computer. That could be related to the specific BES (not sure).

Mike
Old 12-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #270
MonkeyGrass

Model: 9600
Default Hello?

Can anyone, someone, who has EVDO working take a quick look at their account page on vzw.com and see if they have any of the EVDO information I listed? As I had posted a couple days ago, my account has the 7250 listed as an EVDO device, and my account summary has "BB Unlimited / EVDO" listed as my data plan.

Or do I have to have a 250+ post count first before I get taken seriously?
Old 12-01-2005, 08:02 PM   #271
MonkeyGrass

Hey - Ya know what? Don't worry about it!! (as if anyone cared to begin with, right?)

I got EVDO on my 7250 WITHOUT dealing with Verizon. I called and got flat rejected 3 times by all tiers of tech support when I asked to have the EVDO feature added to my account. But I didn't let that stop me.... and I am now happily looking at my 1XEV reading on my device and lovin it. I'll bet some of you would like to know how I managed that, wouldn't ya?

Don't even bother asking how, because I'll have the same response that you guys have had for the last 3 days while I've been politely asking for information (and contributing my own to the thread). NONE.

As far as I can tell, Mark is the only BB owner that actually has an interest in helping people. Kudos to you man, keep up the good work. And it's a good thing that you do your FAQ's - it appears to be the only way anyone who is new to a BB is going to get any help.

Cya.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:00 PM   #272
word2218
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass
Can anyone, someone, who has EVDO working take a quick look at their account page on vzw.com and see if they have any of the EVDO information I listed? As I had posted a couple days ago, my account has the 7250 listed as an EVDO device, and my account summary has "BB Unlimited / EVDO" listed as my data plan.

i have EVDO ALLOWANCE listed under my account.. if you look a few posts up, you can see what I have under my account
Old 12-02-2005, 11:56 AM   #273
kmehling
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8103e

Quote:

What crawled up your ass?

You posted on here 4 times, all 4 times in this thread. The first one was some big explanation about your trials and tribulations. The second one thanking another poster, then this one? What do you expect? Somebody already posted a picture of their B2B account page showing their services. You freaked out after 2 hours since nobody posted any response to your question.

Reality Check: People do more than sit on this forum 24/7 answering questions.

Quote:
Don't even bother asking how, because I'll have the same response that you guys have had for the last 3 days while I've been politely asking for information (and contributing my own to the thread). NONE.
What the hell is this about?! When did you ask anybody for help, let alone politely? What is "the same response for the last 3 days?"

thanks for stopping by, please come back soon and "contribute" soon

Old 12-02-2005, 12:46 PM   #274
navyman

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonent
Is this your first cell phone?
It's actually my second one. I previously used the Samsung i700 for almost 2 years, but I switched to a blackberry with Earthlink because I find it is more useful as a deaf person for communications purposes.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:36 PM   #275
thegallier

Carrier: verizon

Data connection refused problem has been behaving for the last 36 hours. I haven't changed anything on my side (for about 48 hours, last thing was new blackberry but I still had the same problem the first 12 hours). Maybe I will be jinxed soon...
Old 12-02-2005, 02:02 PM   #276
BrianW

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I got setup for BroadbandAccess Connect on Wednesday with no problems. Alas, I seem to be having a problem when I try to update my handheld software. I did update the desktop manager to 4.1 and then tried to load 4.0.2. When the device reintializes I get an Error 507 and when I checked the logfile in the Temp directory it seems that there was a problem with updating the file net_rim_cldc.cod.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 12-02-2005, 03:35 PM   #277
MonkeyGrass

Thumbs down How predictable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmehling
What crawled up your ass?

You posted on here 4 times, all 4 times in this thread. The first one was some big explanation about your trials and tribulations. The second one thanking another poster, then this one? What do you expect? Somebody already posted a picture of their B2B account page showing their services. You freaked out after 2 hours since nobody posted any response to your question.

Reality Check: People do more than sit on this forum 24/7 answering questions.

thanks for stopping by, please come back soon and "contribute" soon

Hehe. Exactly. Thanks so much for illustrating my point. As is the case with most new members around here, my first actual reply is a slightly more verbose version of "piss-off". With a reference to my post count, even - How perfect! That's more less exactly what I expected from this place. Just simply a "Hello, yes I have that line item on my account" or "Nope, mine is listed as such-and-such" was apparently WAAAY to much to ask. What was I thinking?

Had you read my post, it was pretty obvious what I was asking. Not a single response, reply, or even a welcome to the board. For 3 days. The 2 hours between my last 2 posts is how long it took me to get my own results, after realizing that no-one here had the slightest desire to simply check their VZW.com account page and help out a new member who WASN'T asking stupid nOOb questions. It would have taken all of 30 seconds. Less time than your snotty little reply took you to write. And had someone been willing to help me, I would have been more than willing to help in return, once I got this figured out. Which I did - 9 yrs of IT admin experience tends to come in handy. I lurked here for 2 weeks when I first got my BB, and actually wasn't even going to register until I had a question that I really needed an answer to. I've seen the response that nOObs get around here. Your reply is exactly what I expected. Everyone is a dumbass until they've spent months posting on *this* board. That's good stuff.

Don't worry. I won't be bothering to post here anymore. And please, those of you that are PMing me and asking for help - Sorry. I meant what I said. You're on your own. Depending on your market, what I was able to do probably wouldn't be much help anyways. Just ask one of resident experts here instead - they sure seem to know it all already. Just be careful you don't get your head bit off in the process.

Last edited by MonkeyGrass; 12-02-2005 at 04:41 PM..
Old 12-02-2005, 03:43 PM   #278
chrisksu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlaw
Newly registered, followed Mark's guide to enable EVDO on my Verizon 7250-it was extremely helpful. I had a few gliches along the way, but when I called the Verizon folks to straighten them out, I got the impression that the tech I spoke to had also read these boards and found them helpful. 2 lessons learned in my activation and a question--I had the dreaded "no data connection" issue, and we found that the customer care rep who told me the account was set up had put in only the tethering code, not the EVDO code, which caused the problem. 2d lesson, probably obvious to the power users-when on a BES system, the Enterprise activation has to be done hooked up to the computer on the system. I loaded the desktop software on my laptop, as that was the computer I would use for tethering, but since the BES is on my office system, I had to hook in there before I could get connected.

Now for the question--I ran VZAccess, and it set up the 7250 as 1xRTT, even though I am showing 1xEV on the 7250. Is that sufficient to get EVDO speeds on the connection, or do I need to find a way to get VZAccess to set up an EVDO connection? When I test the WWAN device through VZ access, it shows the device as EVDO capable.

Thanks again for the incredibly helpful info in this thread.
I am seeing this as well. VZAccess detects as 1xrtt, test shows evdo. Speed is not evdo when use it. Tried on multiple USB2.0 machines.

b2b account is set up, data on handheld is working fine. Have registered, power cycled. Should i try to program again ?

Chris
Old 12-02-2005, 04:36 PM   #279
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Do you have the tethering option enabled on your account?

I'm curious if Verizon is only allowing EVDO speeds in tethering mode if you have subscribed..
Old 12-02-2005, 04:38 PM   #280
word2218
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
And had someone been willing to help me, I would have been more than willing to help in return, once I got this figured out. Which I did - 9 yrs of IT admin experience tends to come in handy. I lurked here for 2 weeks when I first got my BB, and actually wasn't even going to register until I had a question that I really needed an answer to. I've seen the response that nOObs get around here. Your reply is exactly what I expected. Everyone is a dumbass until they've spent months posting on *this* board. That's good stuff.

monkeygrass, you should chill out. i answered your question twice already, if you had taken the time to read maybe you wouldn't be so adamant that no one helps you out.
Closed Thread