Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default BIS email question

Please Login to Remove!

I have been searching through the past posts and I'm not sure if this question hasn't been updated.

When I got my BB, I set up all three of my previously existing email accounts via the "personal email setup" but avoided setting up a new BB email account. I figured the last thing I need is another email account to keep track of. During the setup process, the BB asked if I wanted POP or IMAP and I chose POP but with the additional option of leaving the email on the server. (Sort of seems like IMAP). Anyway, as far as I know, because I didn't set up a new BB email account, I don't know if I even have a "BIS Account" to log into.

So, my question involves filters. I don't leave my computer at home on all the time but only turn it on when I get home. And I want ALL my email to come into my Outlook on my home computer. The whole idea of setting up the email accounts on my BB was so I could "preview" my email while I was away. I have strong spam filters on my email servers but I still get a lot of email from certain advertisers that I do business with and would like to be able to set up some kind of filter so that these emails wouldn't make it to my BB. I want all my email except for a few specific advertisers that email me way too much to make it to my BB.

Is there any way to acomplish this or am I just wishing for too much?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

If you know the ACTUAL EMAIL ADDRESS of the specific advertisers, you can filter those out. But otherwise, you would need to filter everyone else IN.

Some suggest NOT creating a specific BB account since there are few if any ways to filter it and it could become a spam magnet (I read those warning AFTER I created one - so far, so good)
Old 02-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

I do have specific email addresses and it's only two or three, but I haven't figured out where to create the filter since everything I can find points me toward the need for a BES account to create filters.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

If you have the BB personal Internet plan, you have a BIS account. Thst is how the mail system works. Apparently, you just set up your email on the device rather than going to the carrier's BIS site.

Doing what FF2 is probably the best option, as I understand your question. RIM pulls email from your ISP's servers so that is NOT hitting your Outlook SPAM filters on your PC.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 02-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

I am not sure but I THINK you can create a BIS account without creating a new email account.

I googled....

Try:

BlackBerry Internet Service
Old 02-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I am not sure but I THINK you can create a BIS account without creating a new email account.
It looks like that may be the avenue I need. It looks like I have to provide my PIN and IMEI #'s and create an account. Hopefully, I won't foul things up with the email that is already working perfectly and quickly. But it makes sense that I must set up any filters with the BB service. I was under the mistaken idea that my phone, itself, just polled my email accounts and got my email. I didn't know the BB service had to be in the loop.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:41 PM   #7
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Well, I finally got around to it. When I tried to log on, I assumed that since I had never logged on before, I would have to do the "Create New Account" rather than "Log In". However, upon entering my PIN and IMEI #'s, it comes back saying there is already an account for this PIN & IMEI.

I know I never set anything up myself and I bought the phone brand new from an AT&T store in my neighborhood. When I bought the phone, I signed up for unlimited Internet and on the phone side, as part of a "Family Plan" with my wife. Maybe the folks at the AT&T store registered it when they set it up? They were very helpful and did everything for me. I didn't have to do anything but use the phone.

So, I have no idea what my user name and password are but obviously, I'm not going to set up a new account with this PIN & IMEI. I guess I'll have to get in touch with AT&T to see how to log into that account.

Unless anyone knows any shortcuts to figuring it out, ??
Old 02-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
csinghj0

Model: 9000
Carrier: celcom

Hi everyone...im sorry for asking this silly question. I'm actually new to BB and also to this forum. Since we are on the topic of BIS and I'm also using BIS, I would appreciate if someone could guide me on how to send / push my lotus notes 6.5.2 to my BB. FYI, my company does has a BES but its only for higher level management staffs and not for engineers like me and my IT guy can't give me access to BES. Im using BB bold 9000. i've searched thru the net and tried several agents but it still doesn't works. I would want to retain the same format of mail recieved so that I can reply to the sender directly instead of replying to myself.
Can someone please help me as I'm most of the time in the field / travelling.

Thanx in advance.

Last edited by csinghj0; 02-18-2009 at 08:36 AM..
Old 02-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemack View Post
So, I have no idea what my user name and password are but obviously, I'm not going to set up a new account with this PIN & IMEI. I guess I'll have to get in touch with AT&T to see how to log into that account.
I haven't had to do this myself but from reading a lot of other recent posts I think you need to use the Set Up Email icon on your BB and choose to create a user ID. Then you can log into your carrier's BIS site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csinghj0 View Post
Hi everyone...im sorry for asking this silly question.
Don't worry about it. However, please post new topics in their own threads.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
Serpentine009
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

If you setup the accounts right from the phone, you probably don't have a internet logon established. I believe you can attempt to create a new account and you should be prompted somewhere along the line that your account already exists and all you need to do is assign a username and password.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
csinghj0

Model: 9000
Carrier: celcom

Don't worry about it. However, please post new topics in their own threads.[/QUOTE]

Hi Im sorry for posting it here as I don't exactly know where is the original thread but will do so in future, but can anyone help me out first on the question I asked....

thanx in advance
Old 02-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #12
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine009 View Post
If you setup the accounts right from the phone, you probably don't have a internet logon established. I believe you can attempt to create a new account and you should be prompted somewhere along the line that your account already exists and all you need to do is assign a username and password.
That's exactly what I did, set all my accounts up right on the phone using the "Personal Email Setup Wizard". So, you're right, I never went online, on my computer, to set up anything. The problem is, now that I try to do that, it prompts me for my PIN and such but them just comes back to tell me that the PIN and IMEI are already in use if I try to create a NEW account. There is a prompt along with the "Create New Account" option to enter my user name and password but I have no idea what they might be.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #13
rbrooks86
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

You need to locate the BIS internet site for your carrier. On the log on screen there should be a link in case you forgot your username or password. That info will be sent to your default email address that was set up with your phone. You do not need to set up a BB email, you can filter your existing ones without creating a new one. If that doesnt work, call your provider, they will help you with your log on.

Once you are logged on the BIS site, you can select the email account you want to set the filter up on, then you can set up a rule to filter out whatever email addresses you do not want sent to your phone. They will continue to be sent to your inbox, just not your phone. I did this on mine for a couple of friends that send numerous jokes at all times during the night.

Good luck
Old 02-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
kailanihawk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 22C2A5CE
Carrier: ATT

I was able to help another user this week with your exact same situation. She created her email account right on her blackberry but later decided she wanted to change her signature line. That can only be done using a BIS account on a computer. So, what we did was create her BIS account on her blackberry first. To create a BIS account on your blackberry, click on the Personal Email Set up icon, than click on Create New Account. Click on Yes to the Legal Terms and Conditions, and I Agree. Create a user name and password. Once created, you should be able to log onto your BIS account on your computer to create filters. Please note that you might not be able to immediately use your BIS account. Her's took about an hour before we were able to access it on her computer.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #15
fxstsb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820

Quote:
I have been searching through the past posts and I'm not sure if this question hasn't been updated.

When I got my BB, I set up all three of my previously existing email accounts via the "personal email setup" but avoided setting up a new BB email account. I figured the last thing I need is another email account to keep track of. During the setup process, the BB asked if I wanted POP or IMAP and I chose POP but with the additional option of leaving the email on the server. (Sort of seems like IMAP). Anyway, as far as I know, because I didn't set up a new BB email account, I don't know if I even have a "BIS Account" to log into.

So, my question involves filters. I don't leave my computer at home on all the time but only turn it on when I get home. And I want ALL my email to come into my Outlook on my home computer. The whole idea of setting up the email accounts on my BB was so I could "preview" my email while I was away. I have strong spam filters on my email servers but I still get a lot of email from certain advertisers that I do business with and would like to be able to set up some kind of filter so that these emails wouldn't make it to my BB. I want all my email except for a few specific advertisers that email me way too much to make it to my BB.

Reading your post makes me suspicious of your intentions. sorry but it just what you wrote.
You don't know if you have an account....... do you pay extra for blackberry. That will answer your question. If you want FREE push email buy a Nokia. You still have to buy a data plan. So it is not free.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #16
fxstsb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

If you are paying for blackberry you can go to RIM (carrier specific) and create your account.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #17
fxstsb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Well, I finally got around to it. When I tried to log on, I assumed that since I had never logged on before, I would have to do the "Create New Account" rather than "Log In". However, upon entering my PIN and IMEI #'s, it comes back saying there is already an account for this PIN & IMEI.

I know I never set anything up myself and I bought the phone brand new from an AT&T store in my neighborhood. When I bought the phone, I signed up for unlimited Internet and on the phone side, as part of a "Family Plan" with my wife. Maybe the folks at the AT&T store registered it when they set it up? They were very helpful and did everything for me. I didn't have to do anything but use the phone.

Unless anyone knows any shortcuts to figuring it out, ??
Unlimited internet is incorrect for a blackberry. You should have BB personal or BB business. BB personal cost $30/mo and will give you unlimited internet.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #18
fxstsb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by csinghj0 View Post
Hi everyone...im sorry for asking this silly question. I'm actually new to BB and also to this forum. Since we are on the topic of BIS and I'm also using BIS, I would appreciate if someone could guide me on how to send / push my lotus notes 6.5.2 to my BB. FYI, my company does has a BES but its only for higher level management staffs and not for engineers like me and my IT guy can't give me access to BES. Im using BB bold 9000. i've searched thru the net and tried several agents but it still doesn't works. I would want to retain the same format of mail recieved so that I can reply to the sender directly instead of replying to myself.
Can someone please help me as I'm most of the time in the field / travelling.

Thanx in advance.
Most silly questions are asked on"CBFORUM".
I think the answer is you need to use the re director to push notes. Not sure.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #19
fxstsb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine009 View Post
If you have paid for blackberry on your account, you can click on the first icon (Setup Wizard) on your blackberry it is to setup you email. Follow it. Service books will be sent and icons will appear for your account(s).
Old 02-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #20
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, fxstsb, your replies are about as confusing as my AT&T bill.

My wife's job requires her to have a BB or something similar and she has had her 8300 for a year and a half. We share a "Family Plan" for our phone usage. We share 550 minutes with many free features. We never use all of our minutes so the phone plan is very generous.

After reading your replies, I decided to look at out BB plans. For the most part, it says that our data plans are separate for each phone number. Under the details of her data plan, I saw exactly what you refered to as Blackberry Personal for $30/mo. When I look at mine, I do't see that. I see something that looks like 0.01/KB per use but then under "details", it says (GPRS WAP/BBRY Unlimited) - (included = Unlimited) - (Used = 2.15MB) - (Remaining = Unlimited). Very confusing but everything works and the bill doesn't seem wrong.

My wife bought me the BB when the battery in my old phone died. She told them she wanted it to have the same unlimited plan she had on hers. It works great so I don't want to make too many waves. It might have something to do with having two BBs on the same account. But I never did anything to set up anything except use the Personal email setup wizard to enter my email account addresses along with their passwords and all three email accounts started working great. I mean that I get email on my BB just as fast or faster than I get it on my computer which has cable download speeds of over 12MB/sec.

So, besides whatever the folks did at the AT&T store to initiate my phone, that's all the setup it has seen. Perhaps what kailanihawk said will work. I'll have to check that out. What rbrooks86 said about the lost username & password, I saw the button for a lost password but not for the user name. But I will look again.