BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #21
jskolm85
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

I noticed this also. I am not sure, but I think it has to do with the apps you install that run in compatibility mode. I installed BerryACode and Vib&Ring1.1 and noticed the memory leaks. I uninstalled both of those and I haven't had any issues with the memory leak since. That is just what I noticed though.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #22
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Just deleted the Help and Tasks applications off my phone.. it's been about 24 hours since my last battery pull. Prior to the phone restarting itself it had 30 MB free, and now is back up to 44. Curious. I'm going to be deleting some more stuff that I don't use soon so I suppose at the very least, I'll have a tad more memory available.

Last edited by rachamphetamine; 12-03-2008 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 12-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #23
misterbulldog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbulldog View Post
I installed .75 on my Storm late last night. After reading this post I checked and noticed I had 33MB free. Did the battery pull and am up to 49MB free. I'll check the Status more often just to see what's happening. I never noticed this before on any of my previous BB's because I fool around with them so much (no pun intended!) that I had frequent cause for reboots or battery pulls.
It's been 24 hours for me and I am down to 40MB free. Not to serious a change from yesterday. I have not installed any apps since I've had my storm and I send 20-30 emails per day. I'll try not to reboot for a while just to see how low the memory gets.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #24
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
PIN: PM and Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskolm85 View Post
I noticed this also. I am not sure, but I think it has to do with the apps you install that run in compatibility mode. I installed BerryACode and Vib&Ring1.1 and noticed the memory leaks. I uninstalled both of those and I haven't had any issues with the memory leak since. That is just what I noticed though.
Where did you get the vib&ring 1.1 app?

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #25
GT5L
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: askme
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeffectx View Post
nothing new here. all blackberries got memory leakage :D
I have a stock 8830 from work, I mean we can't install any programs on the thing, just send/receive emails and calls. And the thing leaks memory too. I checked it the other day it was at 3mb!
Old 12-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #26
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
I might get flamed for this but...

Unless the "File Free" space gets below 1meg, I don't think there is any need to worry about "memory leaks"
What he said.

Just because there's a lot of memory in use does not mean it's a leak. If a lack of memory never makes anything bad happen, then what's there to worry about?

When I first got my 8130, it would get low enough on free memory that it deleted all my SMS and call log data. That's a leak.

Until somebody reports that their Storm does something like that, there is no justification for saying the Storm has a leak. If you run a program and it allocates some memory and holds on to it until such time as the system needs to reclaim it for some reason, that is not a problem.
Verizon 9550
Old 12-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #27
koki
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: BIG RED

in a 12hr period with mostly email and txt i lose about 20mb, i've been pullin the battery when it gets to around 10mb i dont mind a small leak but this seems a bit excessive...who else is experiencing a lost of 20+ in one day
Old 12-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #28
modulo
Thumbs Must Hurt

i haven't done a battery pull in 3 days and my memory currently sits at 32.6 mb, It has not dropped below 30 yet, not that i have seen anyway.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #29
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 3053D7B3

for me, i find that the process net.rim.remindermanager gets frozen repeatedly...

it appears to be some sort of glitch or bug that freezes it up...

eventually the garbage collection occurs on the device that brings the OS to force quit the rogue process...

i am waiting for the official release for verzion that might hopefully fix this problem...

i personally want an advanced task manager that can give me the power to force quit applications instead of waiting for the OS to do it...but apparently this does not exist

love to see a third party app created to do this though
Old 04-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #30
iamajim
Knows Where the Search Button Is

i've noticed this same "leak" problem also (running 75) and am wondering if there is any value in enabling the memory clean-up application? and just exactly what does this do?
thanks-jt
Old 04-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #31
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Default How do I check to see what programs are running?

Wife and I both have Storms.

Both phone are losing memory (running programs in the background).

How do I tell what's running?

Roll
Old 04-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #32
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Hold down the menu key for a few seconds. The Application Switcher will then pop up and tell you what's currently running on the phone.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #33
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
Hold down the menu key for a few seconds. The Application Switcher will then pop up and tell you what's currently running on the phone.
So I have the following icons showing then...

Phone
BB messages
Home screen

I understand all but the browser; why would it be running?

Thanks,

Roll
Old 04-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #34
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Aside from the browser, the applications listed cannot be closed, ever. If the browser is running, it usually means that it was not properly closed last time it was used. To do so, open the browser and hit the menu key then select close.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #35
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Aside from the browser, the applications listed cannot be closed, ever. If the browser is running, it usually means that it was not properly closed last time it was used. To do so, open the browser and hit the menu key then select close.
No doesn't work for me. I open the browser, open the menu, scroll down and press close but when I pull up "open" programs again there is the browser.

Could the BB instant messenger program be using the browser?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #36
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Actually, I just noticed that my browser doesn't close either... perhaps I was mistaken and it is also one of the applications that doesn't close.

ETA: Sure enough, the browser will stay open. Just make sure it's not on a webpage and the default page showing bookmarks and history is the first thing that comes up instead.

Last edited by rachamphetamine; 04-08-2009 at 06:31 PM..
Old 04-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #37
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
The applications can be forced to close, but only by the operating system itself if they are having problems, but in normal use they should remain open.

Some apps appear to be very persistent in staying open even if you select "close", so you need to sign-out of them such as AIM and GTalk and then select close.

Quote:
Phone
BB Messenger
Home Screen
All Messages
Browser
Those are always running at all times. You can close the browser, but the process remains running however it closes your the page you were currently on during your last browsing session. If you select "hide" from the Browser it leaves it on the same page, but hides or closes the browser application and switches to the home screen. If you select close in the BB Messenger, it just hides it also and brings you to the home screen.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #38
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am mistaken, they do not always take you to the home screen. They take you to the last program you were using, if that was the "home screen" which is like a program, it takes you there.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #39
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
So I have the following icons showing then...

Phone
BB messages
Home screen

I understand all but the browser; why would it be running?

Thanks,

Roll
My guess on why each of those would be running is below:

Phone - To always be ready to make a call if you press the phone button or hit numbers (if your phone has a keypad).

BB Messenger - Built-in messenger for communication with other BB's, not necessarily always needed. Not exactly sure why this would always be running. You can uninstall this feature if you do not use it and then it will not be running nor will it take up precious memory. I did this on my older BlackBerry and then reinstalled it later on when more of my friends got BlackBerry phones.

Home Screen - To allow you to always go back to your home screen (your desktop, if you will) to see your icons and such.

Messages - Always on and available to receive SMS, VoiceMail, and other alerts that are categorized as messages at all times.

Browser - Many areas of the phone from the messages section to other programs use the browser for hyperlinks and it is always running to make it appear very quick to load when a link is selected from other programs.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #40
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have experienced the following applications crashing and being subsequently closed by the operating system.
  • The BlackBerry Messenger application
  • "remindermanager" (part of the reminder/calendar application)
  • The Phone application
  • The Home Screen application
  • The Messages application

The "remindermanager" and BlackBerry Messenger applications were not restarted until my phone was rebooted. (Rebooting only occurs on a battery pull, new software install that prompts a reboot, or using the software programs to restart the phone.) The BlackBerry Messenger application would restart itself if I selected the icon from the home screen, however, the "remindermanager" did not restart even after opening up the calendar or tasks. It appears to be a separate process/program that is only begun when the phone boots up from a hard reset.

The Phone and Home Screen applications both restarted themselves when they were crashed. No problems occurred. Only once did it get really bad that I had to restart my phone to get the phone to work. I have never had a moment where the Home Screen did not reappear after crashing.

The Messages application had lots of trouble after crashing. I kept clicking the icon from the home screen, but it would give various errors mostly related to rebuilding the message list, however, a few times it would not even start after explaining a corrupt message list file that could not be rebuilt. Restarting the phone fixed it and fixed the "corrupt" message list database file.

Other applications have crashed for me too and with various responses to me trying to restart them before rebooting the phone entirely, but mostly they fall into the same categories mentioned above.
Closed Thread