Old 05-31-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: iPhne
PIN: point
Carrier: AT&T
Default Theme trouble

Please Login to Remove!

I found a link on this site while browsing for themes with a Today Screen. Thinking it a simple process, I did the OTA download which resulted in a "successful installation" pop up. Happy, I head over to my themes menu, see the newly installed theme, and happily go click to activate it. When I click on it, the only option I am given is "close."

No activate, not even a delete. I have done other OTA theme downloads before (from a different source though, that source being Plazmic) and had no problems with just going into the menu and clicking activate. Could my troubles be stemming from this theme being another carriers?

I did do some searching around the FAQs for theme help before posting this, and I found a "how to" section for installing themes. It mentioned a lot of deleting and changing files. That poses two problems for me, one is that I would like to confirm it necessary before doing it. The second is that when I sync my BB to my desktop software, and click on the application loader tool, it doesn't let me mess with anything. The only message I ever get is something along the lines of, "no software found." That isn't the exact message, but you get the gist.

So, can anyone toss me some theme advice? Thanks much for any help you can offer,

Tom
Old 05-31-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Most likely the version you downloaded a version which is not compatible with your current software version. This is why I generally recommend not OTA downloading vendor locked themes.
This page will give you instructions to install the exact ones for your device: How to Add Vendor Locked Themes - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 06-01-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok, here's where I sit now...

If I follow those instructions exactly, I get an error message saying something about a browser file missing.

If I combine those instructions with some other instructions I found, I get more themes, but not all the ones listed in that link. The combination involves:
1. Renaming blackberry.alx to blackberry.alx.old, and keeping it in the folder along with my editted version of blackberry.alx which has no _vendorID= strings left in it.
2. Deleting the Vendor.xml file in the apploader folder.

The themes that method gives me are as follows:
Verizon default themes
Bell
o2-Icon
o2-List
Cingular
Orange

According to that link, I should also have access to the Dimension Today, Vodaphone Today, and I believe the Zen theme.

The Today Themes are the ones I really want and are the reason I am going to this trouble. So, with this new info, do you have any advice for me?

Tom
Old 06-01-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
Perfect Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazEtooN View Post
Ok, here's where I sit now...

If I follow those instructions exactly, I get an error message saying something about a browser file missing.

If I combine those instructions with some other instructions I found, I get more themes, but not all the ones listed in that link. The combination involves:
1. Renaming blackberry.alx to blackberry.alx.old, and keeping it in the folder along with my editted version of blackberry.alx which has no _vendorID= strings left in it.
2. Deleting the Vendor.xml file in the apploader folder.

The themes that method gives me are as follows:
Verizon default themes
Bell
o2-Icon
o2-List
Cingular
Orange

According to that link, I should also have access to the Dimension Today, Vodaphone Today, and I believe the Zen theme.

The Today Themes are the ones I really want and are the reason I am going to this trouble. So, with this new info, do you have any advice for me?

Tom
No, you obviously missed the note I put at the top of the screen shots section:
Quote:
Please note: The themes shown are those included in the highest build of the particular software line available. Older versions of software may not include all themes or may include different versions of the themes.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Right, I saw the note, and I understand that. Listed under the 8700 line, and further under the 4.1.0 section are the themes I am talking about. Namely Dimension Today, Dimension Zen, Vodafone Icon, and Vodafone Today.

The software I am "upgrading" to is 4.1.0.377 (platform 2.2.0.176), which to my understanding is the latest and greatest available from Verizon.

I appreciate your help by the way.

Tom
Old 06-02-2007, 12:38 AM   #6
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

No more help needed...

I really didn't need/like any of the themes that were unlocked for me, so I gave up and re-updated back to the untampered with Verizon software. I should say I almost gave up... After reverting back to that software, I found a thread that had links to OTA downloads of the Dimension Today and Dimension Zen themes. I figured what the hell, and gave it a shot...

Lo and behold, they both work. I suppose the Vodafone theme wasn't working for some other reason, but it doesn't even matter at this point because I now have the Dimension Today theme, and that works fine for me.

Thanks again for your help, but I am good to go for now. The themes I want, and the OS software installed on the phone the way it was meant to be. Good deal all around!

Tom
Old 06-02-2007, 03:29 AM   #7
msimiliano
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Tim
Default For Perfect Storm question

Hi Perfect Storm
I had see that in your pictur id you have an 8700 with the T-Mobile Zen theme
What can I doing for to have it on my BB8700G with the 4.2.149 Os with vendors theme unlocked?
Thank you in advance for your answer
Old 06-02-2007, 05:55 AM   #8
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
No more help needed...

I really didn't need/like any of the themes that were unlocked for me, so I gave up and re-updated back to the untampered with Verizon software. I should say I almost gave up... After reverting back to that software, I found a thread that had links to OTA downloads of the Dimension Today and Dimension Zen themes. I figured what the hell, and gave it a shot...

Lo and behold, they both work. I suppose the Vodafone theme wasn't working for some other reason, but it doesn't even matter at this point because I now have the Dimension Today theme, and that works fine for me.

Thanks again for your help, but I am good to go for now. The themes I want, and the OS software installed on the phone the way it was meant to be. Good deal all around!

Tom
will you post the links because I am having the same issue with my verizon software
Old 06-02-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
Perfect Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimiliano View Post
Hi Perfect Storm
I had see that in your pictur id you have an 8700 with the T-Mobile Zen theme
What can I doing for to have it on my BB8700G with the 4.2.149 Os with vendors theme unlocked?
Thank you in advance for your answer
YOU can't. Sorry
Old 06-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #10
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I only have one of the links at the moment. It is for the Dimension-Today theme. I don't know the link to the Zen theme off the top of my head, but if you look around the site like I did, I'm sure you will find it.

Tom
http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/blackberry/8700_today/8700_dimension_today.jad
Old 06-02-2007, 10:42 PM   #11
Perfect Storm

Quote:
No more help needed...

Tom
This was my bad. I'd forgotten that in 4.1.0 an additional string (ThemeSupport="Enhanced") has to be removed.
I've updated the wiki article. It should work for all themes now including today and zen.
Closed Thread