BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
gypsyfingers

Model: 8100
Default Pocketmac Sync Problems

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

After some initial problems, I managed to get my BB to synch with my address book via PocketMac, and it all seemed fine at first, but since then I've noticed that half of my contacts are missing one field or another: e-mail address, phone, cell phone, etc. Many of my contacts (which are complete in my Mac's address book) are actually empty on my Pearl.

I just did another synch and it didn't change any of this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your kind help and advice.

-Ben
Old 10-29-2006, 07:43 AM   #2
bflint
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cellular One

what kind of mac intel or ppc. what settings do you have checked in pm 4.0?
Old 10-29-2006, 09:25 AM   #3
Quake97
Thumbs Must Hurt

According to PocketMac's website, Pearl support is "coming soon."

Joe
Old 10-29-2006, 11:44 AM   #4
everythingsablur

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake97
According to PocketMac's website, Pearl support is "coming soon."
Pearl support is already available in the latest version of PocketMac which is available through RIM. Some features are still not available like picture syncing of contacts.

I've gotten AddressBook syncing pretty well too, but I agree that some fields are noticably not being transfered over. Through some trial and error, it feels very much like the old Palm HotSync to Outlook in that there must be a Field Translation table and/or priority.

I can only reliably get three email addresses to come over, and for that I typically need to tag one as "work", one as "home", and one as "other". For phone numbers it is similar. Using "work", "home", "other", "main", various fax ones seems to work. What is very inconsistent is if I use multiple of the same tag. Two home numbers and I have no idea which one will come over, and if I set a "Home 2" on my BB, it doesn't sync over into Address Book.

If anyone from PocketMac is reading here, can we get a list of the field translations so that I can line up my contacts so that more/all of the information syncs over?
Old 10-29-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
gypsyfingers

Default Fields

Yeah, that sounds like my problem, more or less. Some fields have come over fine, some not at all. And the irritating thing is, with 400+ contacts in there, I don't know which ones are missing something until I need it.

As for a workaround, I don't know whether having to go back and line up all our old contacts into one field or another is faster than just doing it one-at-a-time as we run into holes, but I suppose it can't hurt.

Anyway, thanks for your time...

If anyone has any other suggestions for a fix, I'd be grateful.

(Oh, and to answer your question, it's an iBook G4--pre-Intel of course--but will be upgrading to a MacBook next week.)

Last edited by gypsyfingers; 10-29-2006 at 12:21 PM..
Old 10-29-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
bflint

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cellular One

I have the intel mac and all of my contacts over 250 of them came over just fine with multiple numbers and email addresses even ical came over from the mac I had to fiddle with the settings in pm to get it all to work but no install of software is supported yet.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:57 AM   #7
sammyla

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

Mine WAS working perfectly, but then I wrote a bunch of Notes in Entourage -- and now PocketMac sync just hangs and hangs and hangs when it gets to its "Synchronizing Notes" phase.

It's odd -- it still syncs most everything just fine. Only the Notes are affected.

Please note: I only use Entourage for Notes. For everything else I use iCal and Address Book.

Help!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:36 PM   #8
JDL70

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default notes

I sync notes with entourage as well, and have no problem syncing notes (or address book or iCal). My only problem is not being able to load programs.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:33 PM   #9
sammyla

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

I daresay it's gotten even weirder.

It's still doing the hanging thing -- never finishes the sync -- but all of the information (including Notes) does indeed transfer perfectly.

Still, I do love it so...
Old 10-31-2006, 09:34 PM   #10
jeffmcclan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflint
I have the intel mac and all of my contacts over 250 of them came over just fine with multiple numbers and email addresses even ical came over from the mac I had to fiddle with the settings in pm to get it all to work but no install of software is supported yet.
I initially thought contacts had synch'd correctly on my Intel Mac; however, I keep finding missing or mis-mapped fileds in my 400+ contacts as the information is needed on the device. PM 4.0 with my 8100 does not seem to be as well tested or reliable as the previous PM version with my 7100t.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:39 PM   #11
orlina

I experienced a glitch with my BlackBerry today and suspect that it's related to the PocketMac 4.0 sync process. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Before I was able to sync my 8700g with my PowerBook, I built up two separate address books. The one on the 8700 only contains contacts that are currently 'active.' The address book on my Mac (in Apple's built-in app) contains a bunch of old contacts that I don't want on my BlackBerry but that I also don't want to erase. So when I started to sync with PocketMac 4, I configured it to sync only calendar items with iCal and to do nothing with contacts.

However, after syncing I noticed some strange behavior. I could no longer do any contact searches on the 8700. Contacts did not come up when addressing email messages, nor did phone numbers come up with trying to do a live contact search while dialing. When I opened the address book on the BlackBerry and typed any key, all the contacts on the list disappeared, only to be replaced with the notice that no matching entries were found.

All the contacts with all their information were still on the device, but it was as if the BlackBerry had forgotten they were there. The way I fixed this was to open each contact in edit mode and save it (without changes). After doing that separately for each contact, things are back to normal.

Does it make sense that PocketMac would alter the contact database even if it's not being synced? Should I be worried about syncing again (because I am...)?
Old 11-24-2006, 11:21 PM   #12
bbschmuck

Model: Pearl
Carrier: tmo

As far as I know, I have the latest version of pocketmac, but I can't get my mac to sync with my pearl. Any suggestions?
Old 11-28-2006, 05:22 AM   #13
Colione

Carrier: T mobile

I am having trouble too. My first sync on my new 8700g everything went fine. But as I updated my contacts, I have noticed that they do not update on my BB....very annoying!

I tried deleting all of my contacts on my BB and then resyncing again....but no improvements!
Old 11-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #14
Dwolf27

Model: 7520
Exclamation PM and MeetingMaker

Has anyone else run into this......

I am trying to use PocketMac to sync my Calendar between MeetingMaker and my Blackberry. When I do this my MeetingMaker server hangs and kicks all our users offline. The only recovery I have found is to restart the MM server and NOT sync my calendar. I know of plenty of ways around this (MM2iCal) but would rather not......

Any MM users out there?? and if so any run into this problem?

P.S. I am using a macPro so its Intel that has the problem as PM works fine on my G3 iBook
Old 11-28-2006, 01:55 PM   #15
jeffmcclan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Now PocketMac won't even sync. I am getting an error that local records cannot be merged after synching. A fresh install of PM does not seem to help.

My Pocketmac experience has gone from poor to not functional (8100 with Intel Mac). I am unable to synch to Contacts and Calendar with default install selections. It appears that PM / RIM introduced v4.0 with insufficient testing at best.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #16
amlis_vess

Model: 7100i

PocketMac recently started flaking on me and my 8100. It worked well at first but then there started to be errors in the contact information. Then certain people would be in the phone but not in the Address book. Then the iCal sync when kaput.

Now, nada.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:28 PM   #17
zeros360

Carrier: Tmobile

Ever since i switched to the new pocketmac 4.0 I have ahd similar expereiences. Just as indicated in a previous posts, data is startign to get jumbled or simply goes missing. Anyone else having similar expereinces with pocketmac 4.0? and does anyone know where to get the previous version that was doen by the pocketmac people (solo)?
Old 12-01-2006, 05:09 AM   #18
Eratica

Default It simply doesn't work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlina
I experienced a glitch with my BlackBerry today and suspect that it's related to the PocketMac 4.0 sync process. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Before I was able to sync my 8700g with my PowerBook, I built up two separate address books. The one on the 8700 only contains contacts that are currently 'active.' The address book on my Mac (in Apple's built-in app) contains a bunch of old contacts that I don't want on my BlackBerry but that I also don't want to erase. So when I started to sync with PocketMac 4, I configured it to sync only calendar items with iCal and to do nothing with contacts.

However, after syncing I noticed some strange behavior. I could no longer do any contact searches on the 8700. Contacts did not come up when addressing email messages, nor did phone numbers come up with trying to do a live contact search while dialing. When I opened the address book on the BlackBerry and typed any key, all the contacts on the list disappeared, only to be replaced with the notice that no matching entries were found.

All the contacts with all their information were still on the device, but it was as if the BlackBerry had forgotten they were there. The way I fixed this was to open each contact in edit mode and save it (without changes). After doing that separately for each contact, things are back to normal.

Does it make sense that PocketMac would alter the contact database even if it's not being synced? Should I be worried about syncing again (because I am...)?
Old 12-01-2006, 05:21 AM   #19
Eratica

I'm using a pre-intel G5 iMac, now with Pocket Mac 4.0 and my new Pearl. After a couple of attempts, I made a successful sync. I've probably made 5 or 6 since then, after a coupole of attempts. Subsequently it seemed to become reluctant and now I can't even get it to connect, despite uninstalling and reinstalling PM 4.0. It charges OK, despite the Blackberry telling me there isn't enough charge from my powered USB. I've tried talking to [email address], furnished them with all the information they've requested, but they've suddenly stopped responding. Essentially Blackberry 8100 doesn't sync with Macs. And it appears nobody wants to know. CAn anyone help?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #20
Saker

Default Syncing Just Hangs

I have tried to sync multiple Macbook Pros and Intel Mac mini. With 2 different 8100 Perls fron TMobil. My Girlfriends and mine!. Still does not sync .. it detects the perl
goes through the syncing and just hangs at the end. I see my icons bounce when it gets to the address book and calendars.. I have tried just my address book and Just my cal. I have tried. ICAL. The default address book that comes with OSX. I have tried Entrourage. Still it just hangs. what I did notice is that sometimes it will copy 1-3 address off my perl that entered manualy on the phone to the mac address book. I have fuddled with pretty much every setting.

The only thing I have not tested is on a NON intel based mac. I will have to try that at work.

Any thoughts???
Suggestions?

My old Blacberry from cingular 7130c synced just fine with my intel macbook pro. No problems!

Thanks all

-Saker
Closed Thread