Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #81
AAberryuser

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default How to use the blackberry 8703e as modem for macbook pro

Please Login to Remove!

I've just got my mackbookpro and I'm have a hard time with my blackbery 8703e to use as a modem. I'd paired it with the mac but it keeps saying I dont have the necessary service to configure. what does dthat mean and can somebody help. thanks.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #82
toabajapr3

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker123 View Post
First of, I want to say this is a great forum. I love macs and I love BBs

Although I'm new I hope that you don't mind if I start a thread that would consolidate some of the different threads about the tethering your Mac to the Blackberry 8830. I'm not adding a new information but hope to make it easier for those that are looking for the information to come to one thread that they can use. Okay here it goes.

Can you tether your Mac to the Blackberry 8830?
The answer is Yes.
Can I tether via USB or Bluetooth?
I tried tethering via USB but was not able to do this but I have tethered via Bluetooth. Different posters have reported that they have been only able to tether via BT only. So the answer right now is BT only.
What are the speeds that you are getting?
I have gotten 220 down and 78 up. I think that this is pretty decent. It seems that this is pretty standard on VZW and Sprint. I'm not sure about the other carriers but if you can reply and add your speeds it would be great.
What is your service provider?
My service provider is Sprint. This was frustrating because it seemed like most post had to do with T Mobile or Cirgular/ATT and recently VZW. Based on the differents post that posters are reporting that all can tether. I will consolidate all of the info I found. Each carrier has to have a login and phone number
For Sprint
User Name: None
Password: None
Telephone Number: #777
For Verizon
User Name: (yourphonenumber@vzw3.com
Password: vzw
Telephone Number: #777
For Cingular
Still working on this
For TMobile
Still working on this
Do I need a special script?
I did not use a special script. I just followed a couple of cobbled together instructions from different sources - some on these site and some from other sites. So my answer to do this would be that you don't need a script.

Do I need to get a special plan to tether?

Depends on the carrier.

Sprint: No - it is included in your BB plan.
VZW: Yes - you have to add it for $15 per month. And you have to call

How can I tether my Blackberry 8830 with my mac?
1. Make sure that you pair your BT with your Macbook Pro.
2. Go to System Preferences.
3. Click on Network.
4. Click on the pull down for Show.
5. Choose Bluetooth.
6. Skip all the other tabs and leave blank and click on Bluetooth Modem.
7. Click on the Modem pull down and choose WWAn Support.
8. Check all of the boxes underneath the Modem pull down.
9. Close out and you will see a little phone icon in the status bar next to the airport status bar. Click on it.
10. Go down to the Open Internet Connect and click on Bluetooth.
11. Fill in the telephone number, account name and password .
12. Save it.
13. Turn off your airport.
14. Click on the phone icon and then click on connect.
15. If you have paired your phone correctly and your mac you should see the blue light start blinking. On your phone it will ask for permission. Click Yes.
16. You should see a connection dialog box with a send and receive bars on it.
17. Congrats you have tethered your Blackberry 8830 to the the mac.
Again thank you for such a great forum. Even though I'm new I hope that you don't mind that I'm doing this post. I hope to give back by contributing. I know there are more knowledgeable posters on this forum and I would appreciate any additions to this thread.
I got it to work, excellent instructions. Connection speed 297/100, carrier is Sprint and I am using a BB8830
Old 02-23-2008, 04:53 PM   #83
toabajapr3

I got it to work, excellent instructions. Connection speed 297/100, carrier is Sprint and I am using a BB8830
Old 03-03-2008, 01:29 AM   #84
Blackberry fiend
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon
Default 8703e and Bluetooth modem tethering?

I had the identical problem when trying to use my Verizon 8703e as a tethered modem via Bluetooth. I was able to easily tether it using a USB cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAberryuser View Post
I've just got my mackbookpro and I'm have a hard time with my blackbery 8703e to use as a modem. I'd paired it with the mac but it keeps saying I dont have the necessary service to configure. what does dthat mean and can somebody help. thanks.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #85
Velosprinter
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Does someone have the instructions for USB + 8703e?

I am a bit clueless here. When I plug in the BB I don't see a place to setup a USB modem.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:23 PM   #86
SVT Amateur

^^ Correct. You have to use Verizon's VZAccess Manager software to use your BlackBerry via usb modem on your Mac.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:37 AM   #87
piersonr

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaki View Post
I get a "Unable to negotiate a remote PPP session" Any ideas what this means?
I was receiving a message that the system "could not negotiate a connection with the remote ppp server" when I tried connecting my VZW 8830 BB to the Verizon service. I changed the device manufacturer from "generic" to "other" and it worked. Go figure!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:17 PM   #88
masterofmachines

Default phone as modem

Just used the stock Sprint PCS vision script, blank username and password, and #777. I can't find any information on settings to use it in europe, however.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:47 AM   #89
poddc

Default Now, how to get it to stop connecting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by piersonr View Post
I was receiving a message that the system "could not negotiate a connection with the remote ppp server" when I tried connecting my VZW 8830 BB to the Verizon service. I changed the device manufacturer from "generic" to "other" and it worked. Go figure!
Bingo! I'd been at this all night and that finally did the trick. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful info. I'm a newbie and not always the sharpest knife in the drawer so apologies in advance for any stupid questions:

My Mac keeps connecting even when I have Airport on and have the Airport listed first in order and I disconnect the tether. Now that I've worked several days trying to get it to connect can anyone help me in getting it to stop connecting unless I prompt it to do so?

Does anyone have detailed instructions instructions for installing the 1xEVDO modem script? I also have the VZW PC5220 and it is very slow--141/48 at speedtest, 252/56 at speakeasy.

Major thanks to all!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #90
user242
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

Hello, great thread!

I haven't searched through all of the post yet but I was wondering if these instructions for tethering my 8830 w/Verizon would work with my Mac Book OS X ver.10.4.11 ?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #91
MattWilliams

Default I must be an idiot

I have followed all the instructions and cannot get this thing to work. I have verified with Verizon that I have the service and it is set up. I have entered and tinkered with the settings as some suggest. After hours of trying I am not able to connect. Verizon is NO HELP at all.

UPDATE
I was an idiot-- but I will post what worked for me in case anyone else is having the same issue. I deleted the connection to may phone and started everything over. I used the other option in the vendor field and used verizon support (PC 5220) as the model. It then worked. Hope this helps anyone else having the same issue.

Last edited by MattWilliams; 04-19-2008 at 01:10 PM..
Old 04-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #92
castyourstones

PIN: 32c2a2a0
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT Amateur View Post
^^ Correct. You have to use Verizon's VZAccess Manager software to use your BlackBerry via usb modem on your Mac.
So it can be done, and all i have to do is install access manager? Have you tried this? Also, could i install access manager and then delete once my macbook has the proper kernels installed? USB tethering is a much faster option seeing as the data connection is limited by the speed of the bluetooth connection.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #93
castyourstones

i was under the impression that the only PDA or Blackberry device that can be tethered to a mac via usb is the motorola Q.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #94
castyourstones

Note to all. I got the usb tethering to work with my Verizon BB8830 by downloading the VZ Access Manager for USB720 Aircard. Just plug your blackberry up when it asks you to insert the wireless device. The software can be downloaded at vzw.smithmicro.com. Make sure you have the 15 dollar tethering function added to your account or it won't work. PM me with any questions.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:42 AM   #95
masterofmachines

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmebdye View Post
Can you share your configuration? What modem script are you using? Are you just using phone number of #777 without a username and password?

Any help would be appreciated.
I am using the Sprint PCS script that came with the system and #777. connects fine nearly every time (in the US). I have to use connection manager with a PC in Europe through.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #96
ButterBerry

Default USB Acheived!!!!

I have successfully gotten a USB tether between my macbook and my bb 8830.. since i kinda figured it out on my own, and i remember finding no help on the interwebs, i figured i'd post it here since this is a top result from google on the subject.

i am on verizon and this uses verizon software, so im not sure if it will help other users... although it uses the os x network preferences, so i would try changing those settings to see if it will work with other access.

first, I downloaded VZAccess Manager and even though it claims not to support my bb on the mac, i got it to work.
i have a backup of the installer at http://www.projectbutter.com/bb/vzam please don't download it if you are not an authorized user of the software. that being said, when i looked in the contents of the installer package, inside contents/ i found archive.pax.gz, which installer uses as a model for the files to copy.
inside the folder structure, i found the files that get copied to /system/library/extensions and, lo and behold, the was a kernel extension called blackberryUSB.kext and (and blackberryUSBdev.kext) im not sure if a normal install would have placed those files where they belong or not, because by that time i had already manually moved them into the indicated folder. i was hoping this would allow me to use mac os x's built in menu extra as i do with bluetooth, but it still requires the vz access manager to connect (i noticed a "initializing device" status message, and feel that's the missing link.) a small prive to pay for USB speed broadband access for my mac via my blackberry.
I hope this comment finds other bb/mac users who have all but given up their quest to get online at full speed. please post your results with changing the dial-up number, user and pass to conform to other access providers if you get it to work, i have no idea how that will go, but it looks slightly promising. plus.. if anyone figures out how to get internet connect / the modem menu extra to skip the need for vzaccess manager, please kindly let me know how at butter(a)mac*com also, if this post helps you i'd love to know it was worth writing it up, so please drom me a mail and let me know.
best of luck, and happy roadwarrioring,
Butter.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #97
grouchonyy

Model: 9600

MacBookPro G5 Blackberry through VZW

I have successfully tethered via USB by using Parallels. It works, therefore, on my Windows XP side.

I have yet to try it with Mac applications (e-mail and Mac browsers) which are available at the same time. Since I have wifi in my home, I want to wait until out of the house to avoid any overlapping coverage. I'll report back after testing.

BTW, VZW does not charge anything extra for the service as it is included in the basic Blackberry package.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #98
lmac

Model: Pearl
Default Tether on Mac with Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by piersonr View Post
WOW were you ever right! I, too changed to other, then chose the Verizon PC option at the end of the combo box and it worked like a charm!

Thanks so much!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:15 AM   #99
CarlGalgano
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofmachines View Post
I am using the Sprint PCS script that came with the system and #777. connects fine nearly every time (in the US). I have to use connection manager with a PC in Europe through.
So can you confirm that you are able to use your 8830 to tether in Europe? The only difference is you have to use the connection manager software. I am trying to set this up for a client, however I will have not way to test connecting to a GSM network. Can you provide any details?
Old 07-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #100
HKP7M13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: VZW

Since you're dialing in does this eat up your minutes?
Closed Thread