Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
drbob101

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default photos wont delete

Please Login to Remove!

I cant delete some photos that I have taken. It says file in use. They are not in use. They were originally taken and sent via bbm. The bbm chat is ended and I have removed the battery, etc. and they still will not delete and says that file is in use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Old 09-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

I saw this in another forum hope it helps:

How to delete "undeletable" pictures on your Tour
A number of people, including me, have experienced pictures taken on their Tour that they can't delete. Here are the symptoms:

* The pictures are shown only in thumbnail.
* When you try to select one, it can't be displayed in full screen view.
* It's read-only, you can't rename it, and when you try to delete it, you're prompted "Are you sure you want to delete this read-only file?" and you answer Yes, but it STILL won't delete.
* A battery-pull reboot won't cause the picture to go away.

If you are having this problem, here is my first solution that uses your PC. There is a simpler solution below that doesn't require a PC.

1. Connect your Tour to your PC in Mass Storage Mode.
2. On the computer, double-click the drive letter that corresponds to your BlackBerry.
3. Double-click the BlackBerry Folder.
4. Double-click Pictures. If you have sorted your pictures into more than one folder, go to the folder with the stuck pictures. In my case, that was the top-level Pictures folder. If you delete the wrong BBThumbs.dat, it won't matter. The BlackBerry will just recreate it.
5. Find the file BBThumbs.dat. Delete it, or move it (don't copy it; move it) to your PC desktop so that it is no longer on the BlackBerry. If you don't see BBThumbs.dat, you need to enable showing hidden files. On your PC, in Folder Options, check to see the radio button for "Show hidden files and folders" is clicked and that you have unchecked the box for "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)". That should make BBThumbs.dat visible. If you don't want to see files like this in the future, turn the function back off after you're done.
6. Click the Back arrow until you are back to My Computer.
7. Disconnect your BlackBerry from your PC.
8. Go to Media. The BlackBerry will re-index the pictures and recreate the BBThumbs.dat file. That may take a few moments. When it's done, you will no longer have stuck, undeletable, read-only thumbnails.

I figured this out when I realized the stuck files didn't show up when I viewed the pictures on the PC. That meant they weren't really on the BlackBerry Media card. That recognition led me to the BBThumbs.dat file. I far as I know, stuck pictures are only an issue for Tour users, so I'm posting this solution in the 9630 Forum instead of in the General How To and FAQ Forum.

UPDATE: Forums Moderator Chrisy520 (who doesn't normally use a PC) found how to accomplish the same result using only your BlackBerry. This is a simpler solution that doesn't require any Windows manipulation. On the BlackBerry,

1. Go to Media
2. Press the Menu button
3. Select Explore Media Card / BlackBerry / Pictures
4. Press the Menu button
5. Select Show Hidden
6. Highlight BBThumbs.dat
7. Press the Menu button
8. Select Delete

This method gets rid of the corrupted BBThumbs.dat file without requiring a PC, so it's simpler and easier than my first solution.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
picaroon

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default Re: photos wont delete

This is very helpful. Thanks
Old 12-21-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
RBernier
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: photos wont delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaid View Post
The bbm chat is ended and I have removed the battery, etc.
Did you attempt to follow the steps outlined in 2 posts above yours?
Closed Thread