BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers
Default BB Email Guide - hold my hand style.

Please Login to Remove!

OK... this is for the more experienced people to reply to (ie. please, no 'this is a good idea' replies.).

I have been thinking for a while that it might not be a bad idea to build something for new BB users that starts out as a quick explaination of the different methods of getting email to their BB's. Maybe a quick explaination and then a chart with the benefits and drawbacks of each method, all while explaining stuff like for this, you need X and Y and Z, and it will cost you $$ amount of money.

From there once the person is understanding of the various methods, they can then choose one, and be walked through step by step, at their own pace setting everything up for their BB, screenshots and all, with explainations of the info they need and where it most commonly can be found (ie. pop3 settings, etc.).

I think something like this would make BBF a little bit more newbie friendly, and most likely reduce the amount of times I have to get cranky, or the amount of times we have to fall back on the MFTP strategy.

I bang my head on my desk everyday wondering what I can do to help people, but not have to answer the same questions over and over again, cause they always pop up in the 'new posts' query.

I know that I could build this fairly well, using html and making it a click by click walk through, but I think it would be better done as a flash app. As well, I am not perfect (but don't tell anyone) and it would be nice to have a few people, maybe a group of 5 or 6 who could contribute and edit the whole thing, to provide input on carrier specifics, technology specifics and handheld specifics.

If there is anyone who is interested in helping out with a project like this, especially if you are good with flash, PM me and we can try and put something together.

Maybe we can make Christmas a little merrier for all these soon to be getting an 8700 for Christmas people, and at the same time make this place a little more friendly. I figure if we can put together some kinda dummie-proof guide, with pictures, and explainations we can all save ourselves a little grief, as well as add to the great community here.

Please let me know.

cd.

Wanna come kick my ass?

Find me at...
http://www.frappr.com/blackberryforums
Old 12-16-2005, 01:58 AM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default My 2 cents

From doing my tips and from teaching some classes, don't underestimate how stymied people can get when the document doesn't deal with their particular handheld. My guess is start small with a simplistic explantion. The other thing is that a single download area would be very useful to stop some of these questions all the time . Good luck and I won't say good idea even though I am thinking it and just said said it, oops.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:16 AM   #3
corey@12mile

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

I think I am going to work on this over the upcoming holidays... I got 1 PM with an offer of help, so I will most likely try and use this... Either way... I could always start it out with a 'what carrier' & 'what handheld'... I am going to use the simulator for setting everything up for screenshots if I can...

Either way, it should end up being an alright walk through for people... I am sure I will get some suggestions and editorial along the way about errors and omissions that can be fixed as well...

cd.

Wanna come kick my ass?

Find me at...
http://www.frappr.com/blackberryforums
Old 12-17-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Default Pros and Cons

If you have a Pros and Cons section maybe it will get Cingular to get off their butts and upgrade their BIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
I think I am going to work on this over the upcoming holidays... I got 1 PM with an offer of help, so I will most likely try and use this... Either way... I could always start it out with a 'what carrier' & 'what handheld'... I am going to use the simulator for setting everything up for screenshots if I can...

Either way, it should end up being an alright walk through for people... I am sure I will get some suggestions and editorial along the way about errors and omissions that can be fixed as well...

cd.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Default Corey - slightly off topic but do you know

http://blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=21366

Is it possible?
Old 12-17-2005, 11:00 AM   #6
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Small two cents worth. Maybe try and consolidate all the download links here so that when someone new realizes that they need X app, they will also be able to go to one place and find it rather than have to search. I have been trying harder and even have apologized to some of the people i have blasted because I do realize that the search function can be misleading at times even for me who has been here a long while and used it a lot.

On a side note for Stinsonddog, your Blackberry tips are super, I do have one other suggestion because I see the value of it and want to know more than what few little thing I have figured out already, but if you do have many shortcuts for avoiding using the trackwheel, can you sort of put them together the same way as the tips. THat would really be great.

Corey I am not great at this but I will try to help if I can, at the very least I can test things.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-17-2005, 11:05 AM   #7
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Default Not sure exactly what you mean

I guess the way I see it there is a combination of items in the Tips docs. The items which have you push a letter are shortcuts to avoiding the trackwheel to the best I can keep track of them. The other items are functionality comments. If you give me more insight as to your thoughts, maybe I can make adjustments.

[QUOTE=KonTiki]
On a side note for Stinsonddog, your Blackberry tips are super, I do have one other suggestion because I see the value of it and want to know more than what few little thing I have figured out already, but if you do have many shortcuts for avoiding using the trackwheel, can you sort of put them together the same way as the tips. THat would really be great.
QUOTE]
Old 12-17-2005, 12:36 PM   #8
dcfroe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular

This idea is AWESOME I know when I started using my BB I was lost. Wait a minute I still am. Corey Great plan! Thanks for your hard work.

PIN 23D1AEE7

Even people that feed the world use Blackberries.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:34 PM   #9
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

[QUOTE=Stinsonddog]I guess the way I see it there is a combination of items in the Tips docs. The items which have you push a letter are shortcuts to avoiding the trackwheel to the best I can keep track of them. The other items are functionality comments. If you give me more insight as to your thoughts, maybe I can make adjustments.

[QUOTE=KonTiki]

Ok thats fine I thought you had a more detailed specific one for just avoiding the trackwheel. I also assumed that there were others not covered there. I try to avoid using it also an even when I have to many times i will look at it and scroll downward by holding the alt key to go beyond if it is shorter to scroll backwards to where I want to be. Ialways thing that use will eventually screw the wheel up. I am already anticipating building the nerve to one day take it apart so that i can fix it if it breaks.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Closed Thread