BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 03:32 AM   #1

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK
Question POP3 email, and BB Email

Please Login to Remove!

I'm very close to changing my mobile phone to a Blackberry after I've become unhappy with my current network provider.

I have a question about the email services available though. my current phone, a Nokia e65, has an email application that will automatically check a POP3 email address every 30 mins, and this is ok, ish. However, My network offer an instant email service with SEVEN | WELCOME, where the email is pushed, just like a blackberry, but I had major problems with this - as it hammers the battery life, and more importantly, the seven.com servier pinged my email host every 20ms! that's 50 times a second. Bandwidth over a few days went through the roof, and this position was unsustainable.

If I purchase a BB on the UKs o2 network, I will be provided with a BB email adress. I know it's possible to set up POP3 email accounts on the BB, but how does this work? does it link into the Network BB email?

Can I get the BB Network Account to dip into my POP3 account and retrieve the email? And when I reply, can I get it to send from my POP3 email address, so when people reply it goes to my personal POP3?

Basically what I want, is to be able to use my own personal host POP3 email address to send and receive on the go, but with the instant accessibility of the BB functionality. Is this possible?

TIA.

S
Old 05-10-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: o2

Blackberry usually polls for email every 15 minutes. I am on o2 using a yahoo email address and my email comes almost instantly.

o2 will also supply you with an o2 email address that you can use if you wish, I don't use it as I am happy with Yahoo.

Here is a link to o2's Blackberry faq page which you might find helpful, it includes instructions on how to set up email.

BlackBerry from O2 - FAQs

These links might be helpful too.

BlackBerry from O2 - Getting Started

Methods of Receiving Email on BlackBerry - BlackBerryFAQ

Last edited by Foxglove; 05-10-2008 at 05:41 AM..
Old 05-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
abelis

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I'm in the states and just switched to BB from a WinMo wireless sync and had to set up Pop email. The answer is the frequency that BB communicates with the POP is dependent upon the POP provider. Some, like yahoo and google that are setup as exchange type hosts are almost instantaneous while third party providers vary. My business POP provider appears to be every 10 minutes. Why 10 when others are 15? Couldn't tell you.

My research indicates that the only way around it if you want email faster is to go through an Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) either privately or by subscribing to a hosted BES, redirector software on an always connected PC with exchange server access or forward email through the POP to a Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) email address provided through O2.
Closed Thread