Old 02-24-2006, 10:31 PM   #41
jddphd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange FR

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdafuhk
jddphd - Thanks for the updates, what is the Amazon Customer Svc #?
Dunno - I used the call-me-now link from their website

1. Click HELP link at the top of the page next to the stupid gold box.
2. Scroll down a bit and click on the link marked RETURNS AND REPLACEMENTS.
3. On the R&R page, look over on the right-hand side of the page where it says Contact Us. There's a yellow button that says BY PHONE. Click it and follow the instructions.

That's what I did.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:14 PM   #42
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

800-201-7575 - you will likely get someone in India, if I'm not mistaken ... they do outsource their customer service.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:52 AM   #43
jddphd

if my CSR was indian, he did an awfully good job of sounding like an American!
Old 02-25-2006, 07:55 AM   #44
jddphd

just a quick update...

I don't anticipate much happening this weekend. The Berry is fully charged (per Marky's instructions I'll be charging and discharging a couple times to condition the battery), and as I recall GSMPS only operates Mondays thru Fridays. So maybe I'll download the themes pack from Voda. I'm thinking I can do this without being on the network.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:56 AM   #45
gsmps
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Wedge
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddphd
just a quick update...

I don't anticipate much happening this weekend. The Berry is fully charged (per Marky's instructions I'll be charging and discharging a couple times to condition the battery), and as I recall GSMPS only operates Mondays thru Fridays. So maybe I'll download the themes pack from Voda. I'm thinking I can do this without being on the network.
I do unlocking on weekends as well, I just dont really publicize it because I dont like alot of phone calls on the weekends with questions like "so is it done yet?" or "I ordered this 5 min ago, what the hell is taking you so long?" when I am trying to enjoy my weekend
Old 02-25-2006, 10:24 AM   #46
jddphd

Talking

hey, i'm just trying to set peoples' expectations appropriately - your site does after all say M-F.

but if you're unlocking today... WHERE'S MINE?

just kidding - like i said, my expectation is Monday since i expect you have a life as well!
Old 02-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #47
dwella

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I notice the question was asked but not answered. If you already have a Cingular account does anyone have an idea how that might work? I am guessing it wouldn't because they already have you....any thoughts?

d
Old 02-25-2006, 11:57 AM   #48
dieshabbadie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000

Not 100% sure but i have heard that the cellular providers that are allowing amazon to sell are now cracking down on either charging back amazon for cancelled contracts or charging you by use of credit card for non returned equipment. Anyone else heard of this.

Say Word!!!
Old 02-25-2006, 12:38 PM   #49
jddphd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieshabbadie
Not 100% sure but i have heard that the cellular providers that are allowing amazon to sell are now cracking down on either charging back amazon for cancelled contracts or charging you by use of credit card for non returned equipment. Anyone else heard of this.

Say Word!!!
Proof of your claim would be desirable.

Bottom line is that Amazon told me that they wouldn't charge me for anything else if I cancelled the contract. The Cingular representative told me I would bear no further charges. The Ts & Cs on the Amazon site indicate that I simply need to cancel within 3 days to avoid any early termination fee and to get my activation fee back. There are no conditions that I saw anywhere indicating that failure to return the device upon cancellation would result in any additional penalty fee.

So I'll see your allegations and raise you two conversations and some small print.

Word!
Old 02-25-2006, 01:44 PM   #50
stripesace

Model: 8300

Man if this works, I may consider doing this. I just got a 7290 becuase the Cingular Store I got mine out was still waiting on its case of 8700s and the rules the rule on the first 30 days (i was exchanging a phone already) do i get a NEW 30 days when I get the new phone too?
Old 02-25-2006, 02:08 PM   #51
DuckWingDuck
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwella
I notice the question was asked but not answered. If you already have a Cingular account does anyone have an idea how that might work? I am guessing it wouldn't because they already have you....any thoughts?
well, you can use another family member or a friend's name to sign up. Actually, I don't see why Cingular wouldn't open a second account for you. Seems to me, from their perspective, that's just more opportunity to make more money off of you and I don't see why Cingular would turn down business. Of course, I've not yet tried so but why not call Cingular customer care and find out? Just ask if it is possible to have 2 accounts under your name.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:07 PM   #52
Cocolo

Model: 9630
Carrier: sprint

I just called amazon and he said that I would have to return the phone or I would get charged the fee of retail price for the phone
Old 02-26-2006, 03:17 PM   #53
BBBOZ

Model: 8700c

I called Cing to cancel the service. They told me that I needed to return the phone to AMZN post-marked 30 days from purchase date - in order to get a REFUND. Nothing was said about a price difference.
(I guess we'll have to wait for few more weeks before we know if AMZN will charge the phone difference or not - I gues (hope) they won't).
Old 02-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #54
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
PIN: Montblanc

Question: If you buy an 8700c from Amazon WITHOUT a cingular plan (i.e., at the full $449 price), does it come unlocked, or would it still be locked to Cingular's network?

TIA.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:37 PM   #55
jddphd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBOZ
I called Cing to cancel the service. They told me that I needed to return the phone to AMZN post-marked 30 days from purchase date - in order to get a REFUND. Nothing was said about a price difference.
(I guess we'll have to wait for few more weeks before we know if AMZN will charge the phone difference or not - I gues (hope) they won't).
This is what I was told too as you can see from my earlier post. I called Amazon specifically to ask them whether they would assess a fee over and above the cost of the phone and they said no.

If there's been a change in policy, I don't know about it. But it strikes me that Cingular has probably seen a couple instances of people trying to do this recently and may be doing their best to stop it. Having said this, I would recommend people continue to read the fine print to make sure the Ts & Cs haven't changed.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #56
jddphd

a couple of you have PMed me asking me whether Amazon & Cingular have gotten wise, or changed their policies.

Please don't PM me on this as I think we'd all benefit from the open discussion, and I don't have a lot of time to be answering your PMs, and because I have no way of knowing what Amazon and Cingular are doing right now! You know as much as I do at this point, and I've said from the off that I'm just providing people with a window on the process and what I've experienced. Please do your own homework, come to your own judgments, and make your own decisions. I can't tell you what to do.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #57
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

It may be worth pointing out that during the process of ordering the phone that you must provide Amazon with your social security number.

Once you cancel the service I think you may have trouble ordering another line of Cingular service from Amazon - so this would not be a good method to obtain several different phones for resale on eBay, etc.

I've also personally thought Amazon had the right to charge the additional price of the phone (between what they listed and what you paid )
Old 02-26-2006, 06:11 PM   #58
jddphd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas90guru
I've also personally thought Amazon had the right to charge the additional price of the phone (between what they listed and what you paid )

Maybe, but the only thing the $149.99 price is predicated on is the purchase of a service plan, which is exactly what I did. Might have been a different story if I tried to get the rebate too, but i didn't.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:45 PM   #59
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6

You say look at their policies and it says they may charge you.....and they will, but you try fighting them on it....good luck.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:39 AM   #60
niteqwill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Any updates on those who went this route? Did it work successfully with no problems?
Closed Thread