Old 07-08-2007, 08:45 AM   #281
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryer View Post
I think more people would be willing to try out a BB if the monthly costs weren't so high. I'm a new convert of only a few months, and I absolutely love the devices. However, if I didn't use it for my business and thus able to write off a portion of the monthly fees, I wouldn't own a BlackBerry. Especially on Verizon. $45 in addition to your cell phone bill is really outrageous. And that's the brickwall most folks run into when looking into these things. Most of my friends would love to own a BB, but they're not going to spend that much money on email. No value there for them and I can't say that they're wrong.
I tend to agree. AT&T has the highest data plans on the planet...and I am not a business-subsidized BlackBerry user. I really love my 'Berrys...and would not be happy with anything that didn't at least provide me with email and media access, so reverting back to a regular mobile phone would be difficult at the very least. I have to justify the cost in that I have email access wherever I am and whatever I am doing...away from my office or home PC. But...I must admit that month after month of paying $100+ phone bills, that is getting harder and harder to do.

But...I am paying $10 less a month with my personal BB plan than I was on AT&T's Unltd. PDA Connect plan using my old Treo 680...so I guess that's something.

Last edited by davistld01; 07-08-2007 at 08:47 AM..
Old 07-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #282
Blackberryer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
I tend to agree. AT&T has the highest data plans on the planet...and I am not a business-subsidized BlackBerry user. I really love my 'Berrys...and would not be happy with anything that didn't at least provide me with email and media access, so reverting back to a regular mobile phone would be difficult at the very least. I have to justify the cost in that I have email access wherever I am and whatever I am doing...away from my office or home PC. But...I must admit that month after month of paying $100+ phone bills, that is getting harder and harder to do.

But...I am paying $10 less a month with my personal BB plan than I was on AT&T's Unltd. PDA Connect plan using my old Treo 680...so I guess that's something.

I'm hoping that iPhone's inclusive data plans push other carriers down price-wise as well. Granted, they charge more than regular cell plans, so the data isn't necessarily included, but it's still a lot cheaper than what you get charged for using a BB. If the second generation iPhone has an improved keyboard, OTA downloads, 3G, and a searchable address book, I'd be hard pressed not to switch. And I'm someone who was more excited about the Curve than I was the iPhone. RIM, take notice (if you care...which you probably don't.)
Old 07-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #283
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryer View Post
I think most of the folks who are absolutely in love with their iPhones are probably people who have never owned a smartphone before. If you're going to that from a regular cell, of course you're going to love it. However, if you've owned any kind of decent smartphone previously, it's going to be lacking despite all the cool bells and whistles.

I'd bet that the next generation of iPhones will get more, if not all, of the little things (and big things - 3G is a must along with OTA downloads) right and that will be the device to own. As it stands right now, I have no desire to spend $600 to essentially test out a beta version of what will be a great device sometime down the road.

I've owned alot of smartphones, a ton of Treo's, some htc devices, and the BB 7105t, 8703e, 8800, 8830, and the Curve. I must say I'm a big fan of Blackberry and RIM products. Buy hey, I happen to luv my iphone as well! People have got to realize that the two are very different platforms and devices. The BB is the absolute best email device on the planet, hands down!
(thats why I own the 8830!!!) And the iphone has such great media capabilities (web,music) As I said before both offer different things! I think its ok to like em both, they both rock at what they do best!

Last edited by sean76; 07-08-2007 at 08:50 PM..
Old 07-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #284
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayshoreTommy View Post
First of all, Apple mixed with any corporate Microsoft Prodcut just sucks, our CEO insists on using his MacBook with Entourage while the rest of the corporation uses Outlook running on XP Pro.

He has issues all the time and he is running the best of the best hardware and software, unfortunatly MAC just doesnt fit into the corporate "on the go/mobile" environment that its trying to so hard to be a part of.

The iphone is a "Beautiful Failure" geared towards your crowd of myspacers and prepay type users.

For many years I was much that person. For a good 3 years, I was the only person in a tech company using a Mac laptop. Microsoft actually did have an Outlook for the Mac in the OS9 says. It was called Watson. Microsoft would say they would support the Mac for business, then change their minds. I had Office for the Mac, Fast Track was used in place of Project. I didn't have a VISIO replacement. I simply used Illustrator. My topology maps always looked better anyway.

The Mac was indeed hard to work with in the so called, "Corporate America". I suppose if you're determined to make it work, you can. But those that claim it is easy, are not being honest with themselves. Simple things like network shares with UNC names are difficult. You can buy a util called DAVE which handles this, but it costs about as much as the MacOS itself.

Apple has always made "nice" things. But I hate to say this; nice things don't always get the job done. For the last few years I stopped caring about what things look like. Not entirely of course, but enough to realize that what the tool does is more important than what it looks like.

As you spend all day working within an application, you stop caring about what the OS looks like. It's the actual software, and it's functions that really matter. This is where the Apple, the Mac, and yes even the iPhone all fall short. Looks great, but lacks where it truly counts. Folks will always see the beauty of Apple products, and allow desire and emotion to govern their choice. For me, the tools are simply not there. And once I was honest enough with myself to admit that; it became clear the Mac was no longer the correct choice for me. I still see them as great looking products. But in that same thought, I see the lack of functions I need, and the lack of real reason to own one.

When I see Mac users taking screen shots of their desktop, I have to honestly laugh. Those whom have nothing better to do than stand back and look at the computer instead of using it are never going to see eye to eye with the likes of me. We just have different reasons for owning these machines in the first place.

I mostly just need to get work done. Not always, as is the case here, but my work does govern much of my choices.

-Alex
Old 07-08-2007, 11:43 PM   #285
Blackberryer

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
I've owned alot of smartphones, a ton of Treo's, some htc devices, and the BB 7105t, 8703e, 8800, 8830, and the Curve. I must say I'm a big fan of Blackberry and RIM products. Buy hey, I happen to luv my iphone as well! People have got to realize that the two are very different platforms and devices. The BB is the absolute best email device on the planet, hands down!
(thats why I own the 8830!!!) And the iphone has such great media capabilities (web,music) As I said before both offer different things! I think its ok to like em both, they both rock at what they do best!
I don't think I was suggesting one should be owned over the other. I'm sure lots of the folks who were part of the early wave of iPhone buyers are smartphone enthusiasts. I also agree that the comparison between the BB and iPhone is a little short sighted because they really aren't competing with each other just yet.

My point is that when the iPhone improves on it's PIM features, it's going to be very difficult to stay loyal to BlackBerry if you're not tied to it via a corporate account.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #286
jnyost

Model: 9550

FWIW.... One of my coworkers has an iPhone and his voice quality sucks. I hate it when he calls me. He sounds horrible and constantly complains he can't hear me.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:36 AM   #287
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D
Carrier: AT&T

My understanding is, some report horrible aound, others say it's great. Likely more to do with the current state of your signal I'd venture.

I've actually had two friends buy into the iPhone and have already returned it. Not for a Blackberry, but for a regular phone. What they each said sort of surprised me. They each say it's too complicated. I would guess they are simply not in the market for a smartphone at all.

In many ways I hate it when someone I know buys exactly the same phone I have. They start to expect that I am some how the all-knowning solution to whatever complaints or questions they have. That really bothers me. They ask me questions, and I say, go to a forum and ask for help. Then they ask, what do you do? And I reply, go to forum, and ask for help.

So I stop telling people why I like a particular device. It ends up coming off as a "I'm free support if you buy what I buy", and I certainly don't want that.

I think from now on, I'll just tell people to buy a Mac, and an iPhone. They can ask, why, and I'll reply because I don't use either one.

-Alex

Last edited by Alex Alexzander; 07-27-2007 at 09:38 AM..
Closed Thread