Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
i robot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: o2
Default iPod touch

Please Login to Remove!

I'd say on balance forum members would say that the iphone is no match for the BB in the phone and email stakes, but for music/video in the sacred words of MC Hammer "you can't touch this". Yes apple have striped out the phone functions and are doing what they do best.

BBC NEWS | Technology | Apple overhauls entire iPod line

What do you think???
Old 09-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Moving to Handheld Forum.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #3
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

I have a feeling the iPod Touch might end up being a flop.

I guess time will tell.

I do like the other new updated look for the iPod Nano and Classic.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
zero7404

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

i knew it was going to go down like it did today. leave it to apple to make those that bought the overpriced iphone @ $500-$650 just 2 months ago, to keep their silence (without telling people there's more to come soon)......so when the new products were released today and the prices adjusted along with tweaks to the existing iphone line, and the drop in price of $ 200 just to make those that bought it 2 months ago feel like suckers. apple always does this, and they are masters at it. they change hardware and prices faster than you can change your underwear (metaphor, of course)....

i had a glance @ their new items and prices. i would NEVER pay $ 400 for a 16 gb ipod. they think they can "hook" people on the interface, do you really feel that having it is worth you working a full day or a full week to get that experience ? I don't. in the next year you will see most new electronics like tv's car stereos, etc. will already come with big enough hard drives built-in so that you can chose how and where you want your media.....

the only good thing to come out of apple's moves over the past 5 yrs is the AAC music format, which is really superior to MP3. IMO that's the only real worth that got me to use itunes and an ipod to carry my entire music collection. and now that storage is getting more abundant, i think i may move away from lossy and reburn my collection in full WAV.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:24 AM   #5
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

sakman they did put out a 160gb ipod, that could hold alot of WAV files.

anyways everyone has their opinions but 16gb was obviously the largest flash drive they could put in it (supply). you add web browsing, youtube and wireless music store and i think it will sell. They will up the storage when the supplier ups their capacity.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
swizz152
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

The iPod touch is everything that is good about the iPhone.

I will keep an eye out on it, and would possibly buy when the higher memory versions are released.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
sakman they did put out a 160gb ipod, that could hold alot of WAV files.
5G ipod was as much money i was willing to give to apple. nothing in their new lineup really gets my interest.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:46 PM   #8
test54
BlackBerry Master

i have the 5G video ipod myself and its all i think i need but I will watch because the touch runs the same OS as the iphone and all the apps are the same, hackers will be busy with it.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
cmjeanphilippe

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

i personally think the ipod touch is well overdue.....i mean once the iphone came out it was only obvious that a new ipod with similar features was on the horizon, but yet for myself im gonna wait until and 80gb version or higher comes out for the iphone....i should've never got my hopes up and expected a 30gb or higher memory ipod upon first release, and i myself have over 40gb of music so until the "Touch" reaches higher memory, i'm jus gonna sit back and enjoy my 80gb....
Old 09-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #10
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Flash MP3's are the wave... What do I need a touch screen for if I am running, playing wackyball, or doing other stuff????? IMHO, it's a gimmick....
Old 09-07-2007, 08:43 AM   #11
avanden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I'm just mad the new 8GB Nano is the same price I paid for my 4GB earlier this year!

*has hissy fit*
Old 09-07-2007, 09:37 AM   #12
speed4tu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

What a ripoff. Apple should work on making what they have better instead of coming out with more random junk.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:03 PM   #13
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed4tu View Post
What a ripoff. Apple should work on making what they have better instead of coming out with more random junk.
I'm actually kind of impressed that there's now an ultrathin 8mm PDA with 320x480 resolution, 8GB flash, 3D accelerator chip, H264 video playback hardware, and a shatter-resistant touchscreen, all in a $299 package. Compare that to a Dell Axim X51 handheld computer, the iPod Touch has impressive specs in many areas and the pricing is pretty good for such impressive hardware specifications.

The iPod Touch, being PDA like with superior specs and thinness, sounds like it would blow away an iPaq for the use as a PDA, handheld photo viewer, video player, etc. No removable memory card slot, but that can be worked around by using WiFi transfer instead (using a laptop as a jumping point)

The question is: How soon can it be hacked?

Granted, not everyone has a use for these things, but I'd love to use an iPod Touch in non-iPod ways. And NOT as a BlackBerry replacement...
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 09-07-2007 at 09:10 PM..
Old 09-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #14
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6

I bought the new 8gb nano and like it. My mini's battery didn't last but 4-5 hours. Once the touch has higher capacity I will buy it.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #15
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

me too... once the touch goes to 30+, ill buy it
Old 09-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #16
flash24

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

I'm considering of getting an itouch.. but not as soon as it comes out, I will have to wait and wait for the reviews.

But first, I need to get my 8320

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 09-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #17
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankarlinski View Post
me too... once the touch goes to 30+, ill buy it
Just watch for Samsung getting up to 30GB flash and Apple will move to it. They cant put out what their supplier cant supply.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:11 AM   #18
zero7404

Wirelessly posted (8100: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Bumped into an article in the NY Times i found very interesting. A lot of it brings interesting facts to the surface, and also strikes the "right on the money" chord (with me at least)....

http://mobile.nytimes.com/article?a=102748&f=24&single=1
Old 09-10-2007, 07:19 AM   #19
test54
BlackBerry Master

Good article and he is definitley right. Only thing I think is that alot of the people who are buying episodes of these shows are also very capable of getting them off bittorent. I used to do that and their are automated ways of getting the newest episodes the morning they air, add free to that and it will be tough to justify 4.99.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:59 AM   #20
zero7404

Wirelessly posted (8100: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

i like my iPod because it does what i want it to pretty well, if like it to do more, but whatever. Also itunes allowed me to discover music and movies that i otherwise would have not heard of or had limited access to. But i guess that perspective of apple as a company washed away after they started to release products faster than most ppl could absorb what was current already. For me that realization came when i bought my first iPod 4G.

no, it was not when i bought my first ipod, it was when i bought my first and only iMac in 04. reason i did it was to seriously and honestly give Apple a shot @ my personal computing experience. @ first i loved it, it was much simpler than Windows (which I'm a 15+ yr veteran of MS OS's). after which time i bought an ipod and started to populate itunes with music. when i found that ipods worked with aftermarket car stereos, I jumped on the wagon to be able to carry my entire music collection on a portable device as large as maybe 10 cd's stacked on eachother.

yeah...it was awesome, until every 2-4 months or so Apple changed prices/updated hardware, and i started feeling like a sucker for buying what i did at the price i had to pay. even more of an upset was how Apple was very "rigid" both in the way they design something, and in the limited number of things on the stuff i bought from them that can be customized. that's where MS takes all the credit, because they have so many options and tools, that it's a brand of software for the masses. out of all this, i later realized that Apple was incorrectly touted as being a more secure and stable platform, which it is clearly NOT (check percentages of updates released per unit time per amount of software being used). and that every single thing that apple does, it does as part of a cloaking schema to ever so incrimentally point people towards apple's favor, as they try to do this in a way where ppl will not realize it until apple becomes a super-conglomerate-mega-monopoly (i.e. when it's too late, and they dominate the planet).

Last edited by zero7404; 09-10-2007 at 12:09 PM..
Closed Thread