Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Dirte

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default BB email question

Please Login to Remove!

I am new to the blackberry and have been trying to better understand how my blackberry accesses my email so I can better troubleshoot any problems that arise. I have read numerous posts that have shed some light on how things work but maybe some of you experts can clear some questions up. I will provide what I know about my current setup.
I have the 8900, I don’t use BES or Desktop Redirector. My guess is from setting things up that I access my email via POP, IMAP or OWA. We use an exchange server.
If I were to POP my account from a remote machine and not leave a copy on the exchange server will the BB ever see the email?
Will emails be received by my BB while they reside on the exchange server until they are downloaded to a remote machine?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

RIM servers check your email servers every 15 minutes and pushes mail that is found to the BB. If mail was found, RIM will repoll in 2-3 minutes and again push what is found and continue on that cycle until nothing is there. At that time, RIM reverts to the 15 minute cycle and things start from there.

As for mail on the server, if you do not have "Leave mail on server" checked on your PC email client, once that mail is downloaded to the PC, it is deleted from the server and hence cannot be pulled by RIM and pushed to the BB.

Email is pulled and pushed only once to the device - same as wil your PC client. Mail already sent to the BB, but left on the server is available for download to your PC email client and vice versa - again, as long as "Leave mail on server" is checked.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
Dirte

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Do the RIM servers have the ability to change which protocols they check email on? For instance if I were to stop the POP and OWA service would they alternate to IMAP?

Strange question I know, but my curiosity is killing me because unless I purposely enter in the wrong credentials when configuring email accounts I dont get the option to pick.

Last edited by Dirte; 05-22-2009 at 05:13 PM..
Closed Thread