Originally Posted by WonkotheSane
Tubby, are you on a BES system with a large company? I'm not sure, but I think the high CPU usage is the Phone building an index list for the whole company. If so, it should settle down after a few days. I just installed .546. I'll let it run for a couple of days and see if the usage settles down.
I am on a BES system with a large company. When I first got this problem by upgrading to .534 I had the problem for 2-3 days straight .. so if it is doing some sort of index, then it is taking a long time - not sure I could stand waiting any longer than that with all the slow downs and locks ups to see if it finished indexing something.
My multiple fix attempts have been similar to yours. I have tried:
- updating it OTA
- updating it via Desktop
- wiping it clean and installing .534 only and restoring data
All of these produced the problem again right after the restore finished. I noticed a couple times that the problem didn't come back but then after resending my service books for my two hotmail accounts and one blackberry email account, then problem came back.
I tried deleting all my service books on the device and resending them from Blackberry Internet service website and still when they came back the problem would occur again - sometimes right away and sometimes anytime within 24 hours.
I don't think any of my apps are causing the problem. Before re-sending the service books in one of my attempts, I installed each of my apps one at a time and checked for the problem immediately after .. never occurred.
In my last attempt, I actually was running .534 with all my restored data and all my apps totally fine with no problem for 3 days. Then I re-sent my service books for my hotmail/bberry email accounts (because they weren't working properly) and the problem came back about 12 hours later.
So frustrating. I really don't know what else to do.