Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
JimJr

Model: z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default z10 updates ?

Please Login to Remove!

had iPhone . got rid of it . now own galaxy note 2 . will be selling that as well . Thinking about buying the z10 . I hear the z10 has great reception . My other issue is updates . Android is horrible for getting updates to there phones . Well actually it's a carrier issue . My AT&T galaxy note 2 will not get new update that is already out for likely a few months . Unacceptable .

How is the blackberry z10 for getting updates when they are released ??
Old 06-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: z10 updates ?

The Z10 is great for getting updates. Unfortunately you will still have to wait for the carriers to release them.

There are lots of leaked and unofficial updates available, but you are still at the mercy of your carrier.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
JimJr

Darn . Whatever phone I end up with has to be able to get updates when they are available . Are there international or unlocked versions of the z10 that can download the updates when they are released ? I buy my phones off contract , full price
Old 06-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

There is no such animal.
The carriers release the updates. You can get different carrier updates with different SIM cards but you are still at the mercy of the carriers.
Doesn't matter whether you buy them off contract or not - the updates come from the carriers.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
JimJr

Ah we'll . I tried . Thank you for your replies . I cannot stand waiting for the carriers .only options I have will be apple or stock android based phone then . really wanted to try out the z10 . The carriers are just to insanely slow to getting updates out .
Old 06-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

That's why leaks exist.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

If your Z10 is running properly, why worry about updates? This isn't a platform for folks expecting new "wowee" features on a regular basis. BlackBerry's roots are still in corporate/business use even though they've pushed into the consumer space.

I recall getting caught up in the mania of keeping the latest os version on my BlackBerry(s). What a pain! And the first time you upgrade your stable os, all dialed in the way you like it, to something new and untested, and it introduces app conflicts or general instability you want to kick yourself. All because you want to have the highest number os version?? I only update if I have issues I'm looking to solve or if a big change occurs, like going from OS6 to OS7. And even then I take my time and read what other folks who have upgraded are saying. Hey, life on the bleeding edge is painful!
Old 06-17-2013, 02:48 AM   #8
bombinho
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: many
Carrier: vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Hey, life on the bleeding edge is painful!
Very true so.

Though certain devices from RIM did make the impression that even the official releases had alpha state. I remember myself hunting every available firmware to eliminate the countless bugs on a certain phone.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJr View Post
Ah we'll . I tried . Thank you for your replies . I cannot stand waiting for the carriers .only options I have will be apple or stock android based phone then . really wanted to try out the z10 . The carriers are just to insanely slow to getting updates out .
Apple really isn't any quicker. They just give off the illusion of being quick with updates. They do this by announcing the updates after all the testing has been completed. Where as Android makes the announcement as the update has been developed.

Here is a good breakdown of how updates work. It is geared towards Android, but the process is stands true for most devices:

Why Android Updates Are So Slow
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 06-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
JimJr

@ rambo 47 : why worry about updates ? Number one reason are the security updates .in this day and age of electronics , regular security updates are necessary .
@ jsconyers : not true at all . Soon as apple update is released it can be downloaded . With android as soon as an update is released very few android devices can download the update . All android devices either get just one update or some even none at all. My wifes android will never see one update . My note 2 will likely see android 4.2.2 many months from now even though its already available . This is a very well known problem with android.
So please replies that are usefull only .

Apple to me now just plays catch up now. And im sick of that . Android is to annoying with there updates unless you buy a google phone from google. Never did like windows . So that leaves me with blackberry . As long as blackberry does not drop support for there z10 within 1 year like android does and updates do not take terribly long to become available to download I think when I sell my note 2 I will try out the z10
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 06-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

If a critical security update is released, the by all means update. But a lot of these updates have nothing to do with security. They're minor point-updates with very narrow focus as far as "improvements." You'd be best served to examine the updates before jumping in and determine if you really need it or want it. Sometimes the best policy is to do nothing, especially if you've got your BlackBerry dialed in just the way you like it.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
jsconyers

Quote:
@ rambo 47 : why worry about updates ? Number one reason are the security updates .in this day and age of electronics , regular security updates are necessary .
@ jsconyers : not true at all . Soon as apple update is released it can be downloaded . With android as soon as an update is released very few android devices can download the update . All android devices either get just one update or some even none at all. My wifes android will never see one update . My note 2 will likely see android 4.2.2 many months from now even though its already available . This is a very well known problem with android.
So please replies that are usefull only .

Apple to me now just plays catch up now. And im sick of that . Android is to annoying with there updates unless you buy a google phone from google. Never did like windows . So that leaves me with blackberry . As long as blackberry does not drop support for there z10 within 1 year like android does and updates do not take terribly long to become available to download I think when I sell my note 2 I will try out the z10

Did you not read what I wrote? I said Apple goes through the same process, they just wait to announce the OS until the process is complete. That gives the appearance that it is available as soon as it is announced.

My reply was useful if you took the time to read the article that I linked. Also, it looks like you are new to this forum. Look around and I am sure you will find that I have many "useful" replies around this forum. Much more useful than this non-informational, opinion-based rant. Read the article if you want to know why updates are slow for Android. It breaks it down pretty clear. When I was using the HTC EVO 3D I received multiple OS updates on that device, not just one. I now have the Note 2 as well, and I am happy with this device up to this point. My only complaint is there is no option to enable autocorrect.

I also have been using both the z10 and the Q10. While they are both solid devices, personally I don't feel they are ready for enterprise use. I need them to be in order to use them. Also, 10.1 has been released for the Z10 for a little while now. But Verizon has yet to approve it and release it for an update. So, the same as Android, Apple, etc. You will have to wait for the carrier to approve it before it makes it to the device.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
JimJr

I said nothing about when its announced. But when an update is released . It is not me who cannot read . Android versions are out now that very few phones will be able to use . The delay is the carriers . Thats the problem . You read an article and think you have the slightest idea what really goes on . To funny . It nothing more then a marketing game to keep people having to buy a new android device every 2 years . So they can get the new improved software version .
So since there continues to be nothing usefull what so ever (clueless even) no further use of this thread will be looked into.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Wow. You will be missed.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
jsconyers

Quote:
I said nothing about when its announced. But when an update is released . It is not me who cannot read . Android versions are out now that very few phones will be able to use . The delay is the carriers . Thats the problem . You read an article and think you have the slightest idea what really goes on . To funny . It nothing more then a marketing game to keep people having to buy a new android device every 2 years . So they can get the new improved software version .
So since there continues to be nothing usefull what so ever (clueless even) no further use of this thread will be looked into.
Conspiracy theories aside, yes the carriers would like to force users to buy the newer models. However, most times they release the OS after the newer model is released. Just like with they Galaxy S3. After the S4 was released, the update to the S3 was available for Verizon devices. The same thing on my Evo 4G. The newer OS was released after the Evo 3D was released. It is all marketing. To say they OS is never released is not only misleading by completely untrue. Also. more goes into an OS than just announcing it or releasing it. I can't throw 4.2.2 on a Droid Eris just because it has been released. It has to be released for the model device you are using. Then the Manufacturer of that device needs to approve it, then it is passed on to the carriers. As stated before, it is a process. Unlike Apple and BlackBerry, there are a lot of manufacturers, different chip sets, ect. to take into account.

Also, a lot of these manufacturers like to put their on skin on top of it, such as TouchWiz, or Sense UI. All of this goes into account when before an OS is approved to even make it to the carriers for testing.

Now let's get to the carriers. They have hundreds of devices to test, and most likely not a lot of resources to test these devices. Say you have the Note 2, the Note 3 is most likely already in the process of being approved. Now the carrier has to test the Note 3 to approve it. While on top of that there are tons of other devices that are coming out that needs testing as well for approval. Now they also have OS updates being released for the S3, the HTC One, Note 2, etc. What if your device is 18 months old? Will the new update work for it? That needs tested too. Add all of those devices together, with limited resources and you will see why there is a delay. It isn't just about forcing the end user into buying a new device.

Since you won't be back to check on this, hopefully you decide not to spread your conspiracy theories and misinformation elsewhere.

Last edited by jsconyers; 06-19-2013 at 01:12 PM..
Old 06-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #16
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Since you won't be back to check on this, hopefully you decide not to spread your conspiracy theories and misinformation elsewhere.
Maybe he/she will use the time to learn spelling, grammar and punctuation.....
Old 07-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #17
frankharrah
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Rambo 47
Thanks for the wise words about updates. I've been looking and looking for updates from 10.0.10.116 on my AT&T Z10, and it's working almost perfectly. I know that there's some flaw in it, but I can't recall what it is, so it can't be too important. The next time I'm searching away I will try to recall your "don't fix what ain't broke" recommendations.
Thanks again,
FCH
Closed Thread