Old 08-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #61
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Default Re: Upgrade Makes Me Look For Another Phone

Please Login to Remove!

Ohh, I wasn't aware, thanks!
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 08-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #62
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

So, what ever really happened with this thread??
OP finally was convinced he was wrong, and just stopped talking?

Its been in interesting thread...

Well, I better get back to work with my Encrypted, VERIZON, secure blackberry.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #63
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I think the OP just bought an iPhone.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #64
tbird57
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: OU812
Carrier: AT$T/Choked

ATT sync was introduced with OS6,I agreed, did so without really knowing what I had just done... i am not freakin out,I have since disabled sync and moved on.

I must add, I was happy to have the sync, when the torch was released,the original OS kept dropping BIS. The short term work around was a complete security wipe.

Last edited by tbird57; 08-31-2011 at 04:21 PM..
Old 08-31-2011, 11:27 PM   #65
cowgirl05
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Q10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks, I wanted to make sure. I have held the Sprint Torch, and it is a wonderous thing. Seems really fast, and that pinch and pull thing on pictures is very cool. I just wanted to make sure that this sync business wouldn't affect a Sprint BlackBerry. If it did, I wanted to know how to change settings so it wouldn't. Ahh, so I can still dream of my upgrade date....
Old 09-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #66
BBCOP

Model: 9810
Carrier: AT&T

This is very true. I was in the cellular business for over a decade and had a friend who worked for Brightpoint tell me the ins and outs of the supply chain in America. RIM makes a BB 9800 and sells it to AT&T. They flash it with their proprietary software and delete features they want you to pay for and then put it it one of there boxes. Then they sell it to you. All of the American Cellular Providers do this. I had a friend who works for Eli Lilly in Indiana and London lose his BB and purchased a new one there and it came in a OEM RIM Box. I had never seen this before.. also it was fully unlocked for any GSM carrier. It had software on the device the allowed tethering using your data plan.. it wasnt blocked like there American Version was. Also it came with 2 batteries, car & home charger, screen wipe and desk stand in them OEM Pkg. The American Carriers want you to pay extra for each item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
You know, you can sit back and claim "Frankly, I don't buy the idea that it is ATT's fault" all you want, but the fact is - it IS their "fault." Its the way THEY configure the devices before THEY sell them to you. You say "BB owes it to the customer to inform them" and "one would think that after all these years BB would finally stop changing user default settings without telling the user" but BB doesn't deal directly with the customer, nor do they have any control over the default settings that AT&T chooses to use for the device. RIM sells BlackBerry devices to the carrier, the carrier configures them according to carrier defaults and then sells them to the end user. RIM has no direct communication path to the end-user. If you don't like the AT&T default settings, then switching from BlackBerry to something else is unlikely to make a difference, because the non-BlackBerry device you switch to is very likely to be configured to use the AT&T-provided cloud service exactly as the BlackBerry is using it.

Sorry, but your beef is REALLY with AT&T, not with RIM/BlackBerry.

Also, to be honest, your understanding of cloud services (storing address book contents on their server) vs. "security" is flawed. Just because your data is stored (backed up) on their servers does not mean it can't still be highly secure.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #67
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I just purchased a Torch 9810 and was browsing the forums when I came across this thread. I am AT&T - I run BES so my contacts, etc. are already on a server. Is there something I need to do "first" in regard to settings so AT&T doesn't just automatically start uploading my info onto their server? I would like to avoid this problem if I could.

Also, I am coming from a Bold 9000 (OS 5.0) and have been using Desktop Manager 5.0 because it has the certificate manager (I use SMIME.) The new DM I believe still does not have the cert manager - thus I am hoping I can just email the SMIME certs onto the device, but have no idea. Is anybody using SMIME with OS 7.0?

If I take a backup of my Bold 9000 using DM 5.0 - would DM 6.0 be able to read that backup and transfer my book marks onto the new Torch.

Any help on any of this would be greatly appreciated,
Sandy
Old 09-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #68
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

You really need to talk to your BB admins at work about transferring contacts from your 9000 to your new corporate device. Even if you own the new device, once it's on the company BES you have to play by their rules. If allowed, the procedure would be simple, just like you're thinking.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 AM   #69
The Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
You really need to talk to your BB admins at work about transferring contacts from your 9000 to your new corporate device. Even if you own the new device, once it's on the company BES you have to play by their rules. If allowed, the procedure would be simple, just like you're thinking.
I use hosted Exchange so I am good about getting the exchange part done. I just had some questions about the rest... the things I have used the DM for in the past...

Thanks for your response!
Sandy
Old 09-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #70
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

I've done some work with emailing X509 certs around. IIRC you just have to have them in DER format, the messages application should recognize the attachment and allow you to add them to the certificate store. We've been using that as a way to share cross admin domain certs for S/Mime for a while. I'm not a Windows certificate management expert, so I'm not sure how you get certs out of the Windows store in a usable, not to mention secure, format.

I'm surprised they still haven't solved this problem. The code to read a cert and stick it in the BlackBerry store is almost trivial. I've started including PKI certs in my applications as resource files as an easy way to secure registration data when users sign up. The best way though is to set up a certificate server on the BES lan, but that might not be an option in the hosted BES world.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #71
The Sand

Thanks for your help. Hosted Exchange does not typically work with SMIME - it took me quite a while to find one that would (and I paid a great deal more as opposed to like a GoDaddy.) I recently found out that just about my entire device memory in on their server so I shouldn't need to use the DM to put back my bookmarks - so maybe my certs will transfer to the new Torch as well..??... But that only helps me until next year (as you have to get new certs each year) thus, I will need to get them on the device someway later. Windows lets you export in PKI format or DER. I will just have to try and see what happens.

Thanks for your response - I am glad to know somebody with OS 6.0 is successfully using SMIME. It is odd RIM has just completely walked away from this after DM 5.0 - which has held me back from upgrading my device until now - I waited as long as I could hoping they would add the certificate manager to DM 6 but they still have not.

Sandy
Old 09-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #72
hrbuckley

I don't think they walked away. I'm not 100% sure what the issue is, but I think it has more to do with FIPS certification. I'm off site tomorrow but I will see if there is any more information out about this issue once I get back.

I support one user with an OS 7 device. There is an S/Mime support module for OS 7, so they at least compiled it for that OS.

If you use the device upgrade wizzard with DM, even Version 6, your certs will be transfered from one device to the other.

Don't know if this would work in your system, with your certificate provider, but we generate the keys on the blackberry, send a certificate signing request to the CA and match the signed cert up with the private key. We only use S/Mine on the BlackBerry though. Issues arrise when you contemplate moving a private key from one device to another and have to ensure security to some level (like FIPS 2).
Old 09-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #73
The Sand

Thanks for your info...

My hosted Exchange provider sent me a pdf all the databases on a BB that the Enterprise Server joined to MS SQL server for back ups. After looking at it, the certs (mine are all Verisign) should make the transfer (again, this doesn't address when I need new certs though.)

Normally, when going from one device to another I would use the DM and transfer only what I think I should (it's a new device the settings, etc would be different) but my Hosted Exchange people said to do Enterprise Activation and "everything" from my Bold will go onto the Torch with no trouble. Of course he told me to make a backup using the DM just in case. Which I will do .

As for the AT&T upload of my data - I can't image AT&T is just going to launch my info onto their server without me accepting and agreeing to that - which I won't. I will be looking out for that "issue."

Once again thanks for your input on the SMIME...
Old 09-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #74
hrbuckley

So I'm back to work, and as promised I looked into the issue and found KB23666 which says in part: BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.1 reintroduced certificate synchronization.

So you may be back in luck.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #75
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sand View Post
As for the AT&T upload of my data - I can't image AT&T is just going to launch my info onto their server without me accepting and agreeing to that - which I won't. I will be looking out for that "issue."
For more info about that, see this post I made in another thread earlier:

AT&T address book
Old 09-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #76
The Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
So I'm back to work, and as promised I looked into the issue and found KB23666 which says in part: BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.1 reintroduced certificate synchronization.

So you may be back in luck.
Wonderful news!

I installed the new DM last night and made a backup of the 9000's (2 users) so we would be ready for the Torch (which didn't show yesterday - so should be here today - very excited - I keep looking for the FedX dude.)

I don't see the cert manager though... if it's like DM 5.0 it's a separate install. Or, you select "custom" when installing and you see it there. Last night when installing DM 6 I didn't see "custom" - it just installed. So I will look into how/where to find the cert sync part.

This is great news!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Sandy
Old 09-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #77
The Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
For more info about that, see this post I made in another thread earlier:

AT&T address book
Thanks for this - my WP7 has a ton of AT&T apps that require this type of accept/decline. I didn't agree to ANY of them. Even though I don't like all the "stuff" (a different word may be more appropriate here, you decide) that can come on smartphones - I do understand why... I have also never seen one just "upload" that kind of data without consent. I will let you kow what I see when the Torch gets here.

Thanks!
Sandy
Old 09-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #78
The Sand

I do see info on cert manager in the help menu - it says it prompts you when you first launch the DM. So, it's there - you just have to make sure you get it installed. I wasn't prompted - I am reinstalling.

I see it! It's when you install on the page about do you want to use bluetooth, start DM when you connect a BB, check for updates automatically, etc. It's under Advanced Options - it's kinda hidden.

yea!

Last edited by The Sand; 09-23-2011 at 02:25 PM..
Old 09-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #79
The Sand

Maybe one of the moderators can put the ability to sync certs via DM 6.1 on a sticky - I know there are others like me who have been waiting a Looooong time for this. I have been stuck in OS 5 just due to this problem.

Sandy
Old 09-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #80
The Sand

SMIME up and running. After I installed the Cert Manager to the DM I had to download and install the BB OS 7.0 to the DM in order to install the SMIME app onto the BB. I also had to go through this with my Bold. It's definitely a multi step process.

As far as the AT&T Address Book - I saw that when I launched set up. It's just this icon. I never clicked on it because I didn't want to use it. Now it's not there under set up anymore. So I had no trouble with AT&T forcing something on me I didn't want.

The only "weirdness" is my saved browser messages didn't make the transfer from the Exchange server - so I transferred them over using the DM. The are located in View Folder/Browser Messages just like on the Bold - but they are also showing in her main email box which you wouldn't want. I am working on how/what to do about that...

Thanks for the help with this process! Coming from 5.0 this OS is a great improvement and we are both very happy with our new Torch!!

Sandy
Closed Thread