Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
zoeydanielle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Skins vs. Case

Please Login to Remove!

I have already posted on this subject once before, and I am by no means an expert, far from it, but I've had lots of experience with PDA's, including two Phillips, one IPAQ and two Dell Axims (the X50V and X51V), all of which had protectors on the screens, but not on the bodies of the PDA's. I recently bought the Best Skins and the Invisible Shield Pearl body and screen protectors, as well as the new vertical leather case from Sena (a great company with a good product which I used with my all PDA's). The Pearl fits snugly into the case and the case interior is lined with a velet-like material. Now I know that a lot of you want the skins because you don't use cases, but after reading the instructions on both products, (Best Skins and Invisible Shield) it seems that it is a lot easier and just as safe to house the Pearl in the case rather than what I contend is akin to performing brain surgery by installing the skins. That's my humble observation and opinion. I think that if you are careful, the case works just fine. In the five years that I used PDA's, I never dropped one of them, perhaps, because I was just lucky or careful. I have been very careful when removing the Pearl from the Sena case, and thus far have had no calamities. In addition, I've read on this site that many users are unhappy with the skins because they come off and are not being user-friendly when the Pearl is inserted into a case or even in the pocket (the skins seems to peel off). So, for now, it's me and the Sena case.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Model: 9700
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011

The BSE skin WILL NOT come off until you want it to. The application process activates an adhesive on the skin itself that 'glues' to the pearl. This being said, when you do want it to come off, it won't leave any type of sticky residue behind. It comes off real clean. I've had mine on for 3 months, and not one sign of a corner peeling or anything.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 01-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeydanielle
I have already posted on this subject once before, and I am by no means an expert, far from it, but I've had lots of experience with PDA's, including two Phillips, one IPAQ ....
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you posted that after reading the install instructions on the you started, you said you were staying away from the BSE skin:

Wow! I jsut read the installation guide that you suggested. It looks like brain surgery is easier. Anything that is that complex is not for me, regardless of what everyone above has said. I had to stop and say to myself, "This guy's working with an expensive piece of equipment with "WATER and SOAP!" ....I think I'll pass on this BS and the method suggested for installation, and try something else. Thanks anyway for the input.

Why the new thread? Change your mind? As I said in your other thread, based on your fears, better to stay away from the BSE skin. Or are you just posting in a new thread that people should use a case and not the BSE skin?

In any event, to my knowledge no one has ever said that they use the BSE skin instead of a case. Maybe you are confusing the BSE skin with those rubber "skins" as people call them, which are thick rubber cases more than they are a skin.

The BSE skin fits "skin tight" on the Pearl and is paper thin. Once applied it does not hinder the use of any type of case. Maybe you are thinking of some other type of screen protector, like that which another member meant to talk about when he was badmouthing the BSE skin.

And ditto on removal of a BSE skin. It stays "stuck" to the Pearl until you choose to pull it off. I say "pull" because I have done so. It takes a good pull to rip off a BSE skin.

By the way, after it is removed there is no adhesive residue left behind on the Pearl.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 01-10-2007 at 01:52 PM..
Old 01-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
mrsmokey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile

some corners of my BSE full-body skin are starting to peel. I've had it for, maybe 2 months or so? Anyway, it all started when I was doing some home improvement, sanding down a wall to repaint...that little dust gets everywhere. My mistake was to have my phone on me when we were doing that, doh! However, new one is in the mail!
Old 01-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
zoeydanielle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes, I said I was not going to use the skis, but that was after I had ordered them, but before they arrived. The installation process seems more than a bit daunting, and for a Pearl newbie, I just don't want to take a chance of screwing up my phone, which I really like.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
DrMoze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Personally, I love the BSE, which provides a worry-free invisible armor coating and I can't imagine it peeling at all. The ShieldZone does have a bunch of little pieces for the sides, although I would imagine even these would be extremely resistant to peeling. These skins are **NOT** similar to conventional clear screen savers.

Installing the skins is quite easy. It is NOT the equivalent of brain surgery for any reasonably coordinated person. I have read a ton of positive comments/raves about the BSE here from people who actually installed and use it. I have found their comments to be accurate.

I also would NOT want to be stuck using a BULKY case. I woul dhate having to take my BB out of a case just to use it. And many scratches can occur whenever an unskinned Pearl is actually being used. My gf would not use such a case either, as she wanted something small to just drop in her overstuffed purse. She can do that all the time with her BSE-covered Pearl and there will never be a worry of a scratch or scrape.

I've had several phones with various cases, including some lovely Vaja cases. I much prefer the invisible BSE skin. I do use an OEM silicone case sometimes, but even that is tiny, and the BB remains entirely accessible at all times. No case removal needed.

Just my two cents, as I can provide experience from both sides of the fence (cases and BSE skins), unlike the OP.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
zoeydanielle
Thumbs Must Hurt

So, just assuming I was to try the Invisible Shield skin (I now realize that I only purchased the screen portion of the Best Skin), do you think I could put it on and still be able to jacket the Pearl in the case. I still like that added protection of the case, and it is light weight enough for me to use without the big bulge that I used to have with my LG VX 8100 phone (boy, what that a heavy piece of equipment compared to the Pearl.)
Old 01-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #8
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeydanielle
So, just assuming I was to try the Invisible Shield skin (I now realize that I only purchased the screen portion of the Best Skin), do you think I could put it on and still be able to jacket the Pearl in the case. I still like that added protection of the case, and it is light weight enough for me to use without the big bulge that I used to have with my LG VX 8100 phone (boy, what that a heavy piece of equipment compared to the Pearl.)
Just remember, that the Invisible Shield is a static cling type of shield. Unlike the BSE. The Invisible Shield may come off rather easily.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 01-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #9
Willie115
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: mEowmIx

Bse skin shouldn't peel off it you don't want it to. Its adhesive works really well, I also use a holster/case and you can never be more careful. The Pearl is small and can slip out of your hand. Plus you never want a scratch on your screen and I would never take the risk with this awesome phone.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #10
twofingerpoi

Bought a Sena case for my wife's Treo last year and it's very high quality without adding much bulk. I like how it flips down and doesn't cover the camera. Only wish is that it had a sleeper magnet for the BB and that it didn't cost so much.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:19 PM   #11
solitaire
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Last edited by solitaire; 01-13-2007 at 02:42 PM..
Old 01-10-2007, 05:47 PM   #12
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

I am using a black rubberized case for my Pearl and ordered a full BSE skin for it yesterday. I want the max amt of protection for it.

8100c
Old 01-10-2007, 05:50 PM   #13
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonbomb1987
I am using a black rubberized case for my Pearl and ordered a full BSE skin for it yesterday. I want the max amt of protection for it.

8100c
Good call. That's how I have mine setup. And the skin makes the rubberized case just that much tighter and more snug to the Pearl.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 01-10-2007, 06:57 PM   #14
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

I never had much luck with leather cases. I now stay away from them. What I found now, the best way to protect your cell phone is use screen protector and a skin case.

I even have the same thing for my PSP.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #15
PaulQ

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonbomb1987

8100c

Just thought I would cast my vote for this same arrangement! BSE + Seidio Rubberized case.

The BSE is literally a second skin. It doesn't come off. It sticks tight and protects the screen while in the Rubberized case.

All of this and it doesn't make the phone much bigger at all.

<><><><><><><><><><><><> Life after Pearl is Curved... then there's a STORM!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #16
Willie115

Carrier: mEowmIx

People that use cases or holsters still have a need for the skin. I have a holster and also use a BSE skin, we all want screen protectors and the full body skin also protects the amount the Pearl collects fingerprints and debris. Before I put on the skin, it seemed that my finger prints don't smudge as much, and no matter how careful you are the phone may drop out of your hands since this is a small phone. I heard in some of these post that the BSE skin started to peel off, it doesn't really seem likely unless your skin is directly caught under something but yeah the BSE skin owns. =)
Old 01-10-2007, 07:51 PM   #17
DrMoze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitaire
There are plenty of superb types out there if you are willing to spend to get a decent type. I do not like the ‘pouch’ as it is easy for the BB to slip out and when using, one has to use the phone without any protection.

If you want the screen protected why use plastic! Cheap and nasty looking! When we buy a new car do we rush to cover the car at night with a plastic cover? No we garage it!
Actually, the BSE is a practically invisible protective coating that does not detract at all from the look or shape of the Pearl. It is clear that yopu have not seen one of these skins applied to a BB.

I also have had many high-quality cases for several phones and devices, as noted earlier. (e.g., Vaja cases.) When the equipment gets upgraded, I'm left with a useless piece of very nice leather. And, having use both nice cases and skins, I much prefer the convenience of a skin for a device like the Pearl. YMOV (your mileage obviously varies), but you are seriously misrepresenting the characteristics of a BSE skin without having seen or used one.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:09 AM   #18
solitaire
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Last edited by solitaire; 01-13-2007 at 02:42 PM..
Old 01-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #19
dabull

the static-cling guards look exactly like the bse skins, but the static ones are HORRIBLE. absolute waste of money.

the bse skin's corners are effected because people handle the corners when they install them. you gotta have very clean fingers, the oil on them will make the corners less sticky.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #20
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabull
the static-cling guards look exactly like the bse skins, but the static ones are HORRIBLE. absolute waste of money.

the bse skin's corners are effected because people handle the corners when they install them. you gotta have very clean fingers, the oil on them will make the corners less sticky.
Yeah, that's why you dip your fingertips in the solution before handling the skin.

www.coreymckinney.com
Closed Thread