BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 08:32 PM   #1
sschwart

Default Reseting Bluetooth resets the phone

Please Login to Remove!

I recently got the 7100t and am using it with a Jabra 250 Bluetooth headset. Sometimes when they loose connection I try to turn Bluetooth off on the phone and when I do it resets the phone (takes about two minutes...).

Anyone has any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2004, 09:37 PM   #2
callaway
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have exactly the same problem - BB 7100 and Jabra 250. Called T-Mobile Wireless Datagroup, but they could not help either. If someone found a fix, please share.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:32 PM   #3
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo

Same here, happened when the 7100 lost it's BT connection with my headset, device just rebooted.

RIM has really pissed me off with this device, after years of very reliable devices they pull this stunt :(
Old 10-16-2004, 08:55 PM   #4
mk1151
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T
Default Plantronics M1000 BT Headset here

No issues, in fact it works better now than it ever did...

Got Volume and Mute on headset from 7100t, and I can hear DTMF through headset when dialing...

Perhaps bad BT command sequence with that particular model? I have seen posts about Belkin, Nokia, and Moto BT headsets without these issues...
Old 10-17-2004, 09:37 AM   #5
Hummer

Model: 8310

This happened to me yesterday. My handset would not communicate with my HS 810. I deleted the HS 810 from the 7100 and tried to pair but the BT on the phone would not work. I then turned off the phone BT and the 7100 got stuck in an hourglass loop. I held down the power button, rebooted, turned on the BT and paired the devices. It works fine now, but there is a glitch somewhere.

I still am very happy with the 7100T. It is exactly what I needed in one device.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:42 AM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOObydoo
Same here, happened when the 7100 lost it's BT connection with my headset, device just rebooted.

RIM has really pissed me off with this device, after years of very reliable devices they pull this stunt :(
C'mon Scooby - you've never dealt with version 1 of a product? While I am not disagreeing that there are bugs in the code, every new release of a BlackBerry has had bugs. They fix them. So this time the bugs are in IM and BT. Last time it was something else. Same thing was said about the 5810. Which was not a good BlackBerry. The 7100t is great. I can live with an occasional reset. Just like I have to live with Windows problems.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:50 PM   #7
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treo600
Quote:

C'mon Scooby - you've never dealt with version 1 of a product? While I am not disagreeing that there are bugs in the code, every new release of a BlackBerry has had bugs. They fix them. So this time the bugs are in IM and BT. Last time it was something else. Same thing was said about the 5810. Which was not a good BlackBerry. The 7100t is great. I can live with an occasional reset. Just like I have to live with Windows problems.
The 7100 shoud not have these problems, and yes; I've had 100's of version 1 products.

These bugs are too reproduceable to be acceptable.

It's not like we found some wacky roundabout way to makde the device hang, all you do is turn off a bluetooth device in the middle of accepting it's connection, and it crashes. Things like this should never make it past their product testing.

The 5810 is the only device i know of that was as bad as the 7100, RIM has an excellent reputation when it comes to the quality of their products.

In the case of the 7100 there are simply too many serious issues to be able to call it a "great" product. Between the having to reboot to get messages come through, and the bluetooth issues I'd still claim that RIM screwed up, they should have delayed the introduction of the device.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:17 PM   #8
mk1151
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
The 7100 shoud not have these problems, and yes; I've had 100's of version 1 products.

These bugs are too reproduceable to be acceptable.

It's not like we found some wacky roundabout way to makde the device hang, all you do is turn off a bluetooth device in the middle of accepting it's connection, and it crashes. Things like this should never make it past their product testing.

The 5810 is the only device i know of that was as bad as the 7100, RIM has an excellent reputation when it comes to the quality of their products.

In the case of the 7100 there are simply too many serious issues to be able to call it a "great" product. Between the having to reboot to get messages come through, and the bluetooth issues I'd still claim that RIM screwed up, they should have delayed the introduction of the device.
Well I would have to say I completely disagree. I have never had this BT issue and have been using it since day one, I am running custom applications written by my company that work great, and it is faster and more reliable than my 7280 with better battery life. I expected some bugs in the 7100t and I have not even encountered the IM issues everyone has been talking about.

As far as the reported problems I have seen on these boards, none of them point to a hardware issue at first glance so I have faith that they will all be resolved. Perhaps expectations were too high that this device would be _exactly_ like a cell phone and less like a business tool? I dunno...

IMHO when you buy a product that is new to the market, any bug you find should as always be properly reported and documented, and a fix is sure to come. It is just one of those things that techies have to deal with.

The BT issue I tried to reproduce on my unit and was unable to, so it does not affect all builds and all BT headsets - I am not saying this is an isolated issue, but it is not a global one. I am using build 112 of the BB SW and the Plant. M1000 headset.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:33 AM   #9
callaway

Updates to my case:

Bought a Motorola HS 810 Headset this week and have not seen ANY problems so far.

Am upgrading to .142 and try the Jabra again - if it still is unreliable, I'll put it on eBay.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:52 AM   #10
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)

Yea I'm thinking this is either an issue involving only the Jabra or just maybe a few BT headsets... cause I know many people with the HS 810 and I have the MOT HS 820 and have NEVER had a reset yet. That being said, that makes this much less of a severe issue than if it was a generic BT always resets the phone issue as you may have originally thought Sc00bydoo.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:34 AM   #11
obijohn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t

upgrading to .142 does not fix the BT issue.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:45 AM   #12
map
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120

It's the Jabra. I sold mine and bought a HS820 and have had no problems whatsoever.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:51 PM   #13
ladrummer

I had the same problem with the Jabra 250. TMO store swapped it out for a Moto HS 810 and I haven't had any problems. I still think it's a software issue with the 7100 though.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:29 PM   #14
enagel

The same problem occurs when using a Logitech Bluetooth headset.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:31 AM   #15
New York Jet

Old 11-09-2004, 10:19 AM   #16
r1_rydah
Thumbs Must Hurt

Old 11-18-2004, 08:10 PM   #17
Nightline

Old 11-19-2004, 06:29 AM   #18
nightfly61

Old 11-19-2004, 02:44 PM   #19
dyzs
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia