rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 20cbbd8e
Carrier: Vodafone Germany

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelM View Post
Lets remember that Wine is not an emulator but a Win API layer...
You are wrong. WINE is an emulator. It emulates the Win32 API. it is an urban myth that WINE stands for "WIne is Not an Emulator". Please google the issue before following up. The initial plans for WINE state is an emulator. Emulator's happen in SW as well as HW.

It is not "the WIN API layer" : it is something which emulates the Win API layer.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #22
fiestito
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: ice

check this rileyrg -> WineHQ - Debunking Wine Myths

As Wine's name says: "Wine Is Not an Emulator": Wine does not emulate the Intel x86 processor.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #23
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

An emulator is NOT only "emulating" HW.

It can also "emulate" an API.

It is NOT the Win API. It emulates the winapi.

Google some more and and find the original Wine plans. Wine is an emulator. And was from day one.

Yes, yes, it's all semantics.

here, I'll do it for you:

Read Wines history : the first NG created for it was ...

comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

Yes, its not a full emulator in terms of what some people think of as HW emulation. But it does, in the meaning of the word, emulate what the equivalent Windows libararies would do. Rather than end up in an endless spiral, think about it and try to see my point. In the same way than a x86 emulator would read the opcode and do relevant things, Wine intercepts the win api call and "does relevant things".

The term emulation is not limited to HW.

They might have dropped the "emulator" part because of the confusion to those only partially aware of the full range of what an emulator does.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #24
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Incidentally:

(I cant post links, but google up the text to find)

"System emulators come in two basic flavors, machine architecture emulators and operating system emulators. Wine is a complete package that emulates the Windows operating system. Windows itself is not required. Wine includes its own versions of the Windows system DLLs, but you can use the native Windows versions if you prefer. Depending on the intended use, the system may require other native support software expected by your applications. "

Or visit the wine section at forums.emulator-zone.com.

You would be able to find other articles disagreeing but ALL they tend to do is repeat the mantra that "WIne is Not an Emulator". Whereas the ORIGINAL naming was indeed

WINdows Emulator.

Which makes a lot more sense if anyone were to think about how it would be named at the start of the project.

People are of course welcome to their own opinions on the matter. And there are plenty of links to people who think "emulation" is (for whatever reason) limited to x86 opcode substitutions.

To call the WINE win api layer a "compatability layer" is misleading since its more than a layer : its a rebuild, or emulation, of the Windows codebase based on the documented functionalities of the functions therein.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:45 AM   #25
fiestito
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: ice

Well once again, check this -> FAQ - The Official Wine Wiki

I agree with you about wine being an emulator. An Emulation refers to the ability of a computer program or electronic device to imitate another program or device.
But if the wine project people want their name out of the "WINdows Emulator" business, its their right.

Last edited by fiestito; 05-09-2009 at 01:12 AM..
Old 05-19-2009, 06:54 AM   #26
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestito View Post
Well once again, check this -> FAQ - The Official Wine Wiki

I agree with you about wine being an emulator. An Emulation refers to the ability of a computer program or electronic device to imitate another program or device.
But if the wine project people want their name out of the "WINdows Emulator" business, its their right.
Sure it is.

It doesn't change the fact that it IS an emulator and started life as an emulator.

I have provided links to show this.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #27
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Wine actually does not emulate windows. It just provides API functionality same as windows. It may be implemented differently, causing issues.

In fact its name points it out... Wine Is Not Emulator. Yes, it is regressive name. ;)
Old 05-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #28
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigalweinstein View Post
Telling me something can't be done doesn't help me very much. However with your experience here at the forums, judging by the number of posts you have contributed, I am willing to judge more likely than not that what you wrote is really the current state of *nix/BB support in this area. However I was hoping for, but I did not explicitly ask for (so I certainly cannot blame you for your terse answer), for a knowledge of the stumbling blocks of attempting to do this. If anyone would be so kind as to tell me what problems exist in attempting to upgrade from a *nix I would be ever so greatful.
Err, its not possible. End of story. And even with vmware/virtualbox with Windows I could not get it to work.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:31 AM   #29
rileyrg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iare Tosevite View Post
Wine actually does not emulate windows. It just provides API functionality same as windows. It may be implemented differently, causing issues.

In fact its name points it out... Wine Is Not Emulator. Yes, it is regressive name. ;)
Wrong. Wine emulates the Win 32 API.

Its original name was WINdows Emulator.

They changed it because some people got confused between HW and SW emulation.

The clue is also that it originally was in the emulator newsgroups.

There is lots to google but trust me.

The term "emulate" does not mean "perfect" in any way and you are right that the WINE does not work with Desktop Manager but more surprisingly runnign real Windows under VMWare or Virtualbox still does not work for updating SW on the Storm.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:10 AM   #30
Spankypoo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: TMo

Desktop Manager worked fine for me with VMware, but not VirtualBox.

That said, I never tried an OS upgrade with it -- only backups.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:48 AM   #31
sblantipodi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: wind

never will be.
Closed Thread