BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
arifshahzad

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: rogers
Default Confused about WiFi, is it really free to use?

Please Login to Remove!

Description of Device: Blackberry Bold with BES
Browsers: Blackberry Browser & Opra Mini

While using WiFi & mobile network off, I checked my IP using the website (whatismyip.com) I figured out that my IP belonged to my employer irrespective of which browser I was using. I was expecting to see IP of my internet service provider at home.

Does the above means that even if you use WiFi you will be charged for the data. Can someone clarify, why I am seeing my corporate IP while I am hooked up to my router at home.

Last edited by arifshahzad; 03-30-2009 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
brentcizek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wi-Fi is free.

if you look up your IP from that address it will show your BB IP.

to check the actual IP you're on...go to Options -> Status and look under IP Address:
Old 03-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
arifshahzad

Model: 8120
Carrier: rogers

I agree that IP under your status is your local WiFi router IP, you can determine your real IP by going to the website (whatismyip.com) Try this from your wifi laptop and than from your Blackberry that has BES. If both IPs are not the same than that is a question mark.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

it shows your company because u are using their internet. wifi is entirely free
Old 03-31-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

whatismyip.com and their ilk will tell you what the IP address you emerge onto the internet with. There is a protocol called Network Address Translation (NAT for short) which allows many IP addresses on a local network to be translated to one (or a few) public addresses. Most home routers will do this for you without configuration. This allows home or companies to have many more devices accessing the internet than they have public IP addresses. While this is not exactly what happens with Blackberries talking through a BES or indeed BIS, but the effect is the same. If your IT department has left your browsers enabled you will have at least three: Blackberry Browser (though the BES admin can change the name), Internet Browser, and Hotspot Browser. Each will give you a different IP address from whatismyip.com because each of them gets you to the internet using a different route, so you emerge from a different IP.

Using WiFi will not accumulate carrier charges (normally) but as to free, that depends on the Hot Spot.

Last edited by hrbuckley; 03-31-2009 at 07:54 AM..
Old 04-04-2009, 01:42 AM   #6
fiffer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

As far as I know, Wifi is still free!
Old 04-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

WiFi is free but wireless carriers don't run charity. To my knowledge, Rogers sells blackberry with unlimited and with metered plans.

If you are on one of those $$/per megabyte plans, call Rogers and ask for clarification on WiFi. You may find, to your surprise, that while WiFi is free (as in connecting to RIM and Rogers servers) it is not free (as in sending data from RIM to Rogers servers to blackberry and back) and may count against your monthly quota.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
liverpoolatnight

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone - UK

Wifi is still free but if you go into say "a hotel or the city center" you would have to pay for a subscription and that would give you how long you payed for but on other hands there are some unsecured wireless witch you can hop on (if your lucky lol)

But as you said
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
depends on the HotSpot.
if you did connect to a payed wireless you still wouldnt be charged all you will get is a subscription service telling you pay for using this spot

Francis

Last edited by liverpoolatnight; 04-13-2009 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: wireless
Old 04-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
sportking1

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default help

I have a new bold with AT&T and cannot access wifi. apparently i need a data plan even if i just want to use my home wifi. is this true?
Old 04-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #10
hrbuckley

Read through this thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...n-cant-do.html

I am curios though, why would you buy a Blackberry, but not get a blackberry data plan?

Last edited by hrbuckley; 04-18-2009 at 04:56 PM..
Old 04-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportking1 View Post
I have a new bold with AT&T and cannot access wifi. apparently i need a data plan even if i just want to use my home wifi. is this true?
That doesn't seem right. You should be free to use wifi, unless AT&T somehow blocked out the feature. If so, that's messed up.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #12
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Read through this thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...n-cant-do.html

I am curios though, why would you buy a Blackberry, but not get a blackberry data plan?
1. Eliminate expenses.
2. May not need instant email access.
3. While a BlackBerry w/o a data plan is not using the device to its fullest capability, it really depends on an individual's usage. I used to have a PDA and cell phone, but with a BB, I get the features of both (and more) on one convenient device. Plus for me, I have ready access to wifi, so having a data plan isn't a real big deal.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
ScottTee

Default Me too!

I'm confused too. Help!
I have a v4.5 8320, with AT&T and no data plan right now.

I've been trying to get Wifi to work. This morning I though I got it to work using my home router/network. I had the Options...Mobile Network...Data Services = 'On'. (If 'Off' I can't get an IP). Using Opera I was able to do some browsing.

I wondered if this actually used the Wifi connection or the cellular connection. So, at my stepsons soccer game later, where there is no access point/Wifi connection, I tried again and it worked like at home.

Doesn't Data Services = 'On' mean Get Data via cell?
Why doesn't turning it off not allow me to get an IP address?

Thanks for any help.
-Scott
Old 04-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #14
hrbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottTee View Post

Doesn't Data Services = 'On' mean Get Data via cell?
Why doesn't turning it off not allow me to get an IP address?

Thanks for any help.
-Scott
Where on earth did you get this idea? Data services off means data services off, no data, only voice. By using a Blackberry on Wi-Fi without a blackberry data plan you are operating outside the supported envelope, so you can't expect it to behave they way you expect without knowing a great deal about how the blackberry platform works.

My earlier post had a link to a thread in this forum where people have gone on at great length on this subject. I suggest you start there.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:56 AM   #15
ScottTee

Quote:
Where on earth did you get this idea? Data services off means data services off, no data, only voice. By using a Blackberry on Wi-Fi without a blackberry data plan you are operating outside the supported envelope, so you can't expect it to behave they way you expect without knowing a great deal about how the blackberry platform works.

My earlier post had a link to a thread in this forum where people have gone on at great length on this subject. I suggest you start there.
I'm curious...where on earth did you get the idea that being a know-it-all prick was a good idea? I asked a couple of simple questions that did not warrant smartass comments. I know virtually nothing about Blackberrys...thats why this forum exists. I try to search for issues I'm having BEFORE posting.

I suggest YOU start trying to be a little more considerate in the future. If you can help, just answer the question, provide help, whatever, WITHOUT being a dick.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #16
hrbuckley

I asked that question because I want to know. There seems to be common misconceptions about how Blackberries work, in particular with respect to Wi-Fi without Blackberry data plans.

I have been trying to help people on these forums get the most out of there Blackberries and whatever plans they chose to buy. In return I keep running up against people who expect certain behaviour from their Blackberries based on ill formed conjecture. You seemed to have a very specific belief about what data services on/off meant, if I knew how you came to that belief I, or others may be able to help you more effectively and efficiently.

As you point out these forums are for getting help. I have gotten help from others before. But we are all here on our own time, volunteering as it were. It is very frustrating typing the same answers over and over and over again. So I gave a link to a thread that I though would help. If it doesn't, please tell me how it doesn't help, and I may be able to point you at another thread, or answer specific question.

The Blackberry platform is a very complex one involving interaction between the handheld software (RIM and third party), the wireless carrier system, the RIM operations centre and with Wi-Fi the hot spot configuration, potential firewalls and ISP configuration. If you, or anyone else reading this, is throwing configuration switches based on a misunderstanding of what those switches do, it is only going to make it more difficult, or impossible for me, or anyone else to help. If that all makes me a dick, then I am happy to be a dick.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #17
caruso81
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130c
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportking1 View Post
The data plan is required in order for AT&T to forward the service books with the various data reliant apps. Once the data plan is active, you will see the web browser for example. Then you can turn off the mobile network and use WiFi without using AT&T data. For instance, if you were roaming abroad and didn't want to pay obscene data rates over the AT&T network, you turn off Mobile Network and turn on WiFi. Of course, while you are in this state, you cannot receive phone calls. I assume there might be "work arounds" out there to get the full service books regardless of your data plan or lack thereof.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #18
chato10

Carrier: tmobile
Default wifi

i resently buy a use 8320 and cant connect to internet via wifi do i need a data plan on,
Old 07-30-2009, 12:42 AM   #19
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chato10 View Post
i resently buy a use 8320 and cant connect to internet via wifi do i need a data plan on,
Unless Tmobile has some new rules, I don't think you need a data plan in order to use wifi. Make sure you have selected the correct browser however. Go to Options>Advanced>Browser -- and make sure you have selected wifi browser or hotspot browser for the default browser configuration.
Closed Thread