Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
atuarre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Default BIS E-mail and DNS Changes

Please Login to Remove!

I recently moved some of my domains over to another registrar and after doing that I had to re-enter all my dns stuff and now I cannot reset the domain back up in BIS for e-mail. Would a dns change affect that? I get Invalid email address or password when I try to set it up.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

Wirelessly posted

You need to wait for the updates in your MX records to be propagated in the intertubez.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
atuarre

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-economist View Post
Wirelessly posted

You need to wait for the updates in your MX records to be propagated in the intertubez.
It's the same MX records, they are pointing to the same place, just a different registrar, or it doesn't matter?
Old 03-18-2010, 04:37 AM   #4
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

It helps that everything points to the same place. Different regs do it differently though and depended on the time it takes for them to release your information over you might be left with no authority claim from anyone upon query requests for a little time.

Best bet if you have zone access is to pump the TTLs up so to force longer caching while transitioning. You do realise of course that this has to be done beforehand . Just give it some time for now.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
atuarre

Okay. It can't be a DNS/MX problem if it is only affecting one mail box.. I decided to do a little testing, so I made another user under the domain, and added them and setup a password and then added them under BIS on my Blackberry and it set it up successfuly. It has to be something else

Last edited by atuarre; 03-18-2010 at 07:02 AM..
Old 03-18-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

You can query the MTA directly for the user. Does the user exist? Do you supply the correct auth credentials? Can you poll the account outside BIS? Does the non-working mbox uses the same auth method as the working one? Are they under the same domain?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
atuarre

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

You can query the MTA directly for the user. Does the user exist? Do you supply the correct auth credentials? Can you poll the account outside BIS? Does the non-working mbox uses the same auth method as the working one? Are they under the same domain?
They are under the same domain. I mentioned that in my previous reply. How do I query the MTA. I already have a ticket open to RIM, but as a side note...the damn rep created a BIS account for me when I specifically did not want this to happen and wanted to keep account control specific to the Blackberry. Another username and password I have to remember. I swear, you explain to them, in detail, what the problem is, and they get all sorts of ideas. Then she argued with me about escalating it to RIM. In the BIS software notes it says that the creation of a username is permanent but I am going to see if they can undo what she did...

In any event, I don't see how it could be tied to one username on the same domain if it was an MX issue, unless some kind of issue occurred on the RIM side, and some how, for whatever reason, [email address] is not taken and any other username but the one I am trying to use, can be used.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Something doesn't quite add up here. If you had the mail account in question running successfully under BIS and the only thing you did was moving the domain to a new registrar why did you need to setup the account again in BIS? It should be already there.

Your OP says "I had to re-enter all my dns stuff". Where? The new registrar just needs the NS that handles the zone. Who is authoritative for the zone? Who writes the zonefile? Yourself? The old ns? The new NS? Some other NS? Who do YOU think is authoritative for the zone? Who do the INTERWEBZ think is authoritative?

You're still in transition of the domains. Why don't you chill for 24 hours while the new information is being propagated before going mad on the support tickets. Even if you control your own zone some registrars take up to 2 days to move ownership over.

If the account was a web-based one that you setup on the mail admin tools of the first registrar you have to set it up again using the NEW registrar's mail admin tools in order for BIS to see it. It will definitely NOT move over.
(because if it did it would have to use resources allocated by your OLD registrar -mbox space/ mta resources-, which you no longer pay for by choice.) There is an exception to that if you control the MTA yourself.

So since you claim new accounts work but old ones do not i assume you haven't entered the old accounts to the new mail admin thingie of the new registrar and you're trying to poll resources you no longer pay for.

Last edited by the-economist; 03-18-2010 at 02:56 PM..
Old 03-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
atuarre

Okay. I will go through this again.

This particular domain was moved to a new registrar. As soon as the new registrar notified me that the transfer was complete (it wasn't even a day), I put in the DNS settings at the registrar for this domain to do what it did before, which is just e-mail. I then logged back into the mail interface to make sure that mail was flowing successfully, which it was.

I deleted and attempted to reset the account up in BIS, and this is where we come to the problem where we are now. Everything is EXACTLY the same with the exception that the domain that was doing mail is with a new registrar. All the settings that were there before including the MX entries, are intact. That was the first thing I setup.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atuarre View Post
I then logged back into the mail interface to make sure that mail was flowing successfully, which it was.
Where does that interface run? The old registrar? The new one? Do you control the MTA? Do you actually run your own mail server? Or you had an interface on the registrar's page that gave you an admin tool to manage accounts and allocated mailspace for you? Those accounts will NOT move over. They are using old registrar's resources. Any fresh accounts you enter on the new registrar's tool will work.

Don't tell me again what you did. We all understand what you did. Tell me to WHOM things belong to. Namely your MTA.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Everything is EXACTLY the same
The above is an issue if you copied the zonefile verbatim from the old registrar. If your mail server was old registrar allocated it will no longer work.
Old mail accounts will not port over either.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
atuarre

Quote:
Where does that interface run? The old registrar? The new one? Do you control the MTA? Do you actually run your own mail server? Or you had an interface on the registrar's page that gave you an admin tool to manage accounts and allocated mailspace for you? Those accounts will NOT move over. They are using old registrar's resources. Any fresh accounts you enter on the new registrar's tool will work.

Don't tell me again what you did. We all understand what you did. Tell me to WHOM things belong to. Namely your MTA.
Dude. I'm not an idiot. The account for this domain stayed where it is, on Google Apps. Everything else is on MS Exchange. The only thing that should have been done was the re-keying of the Google Apps DNS stuff.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #13
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Dude. I'm not an idiot.
I never called you an idiot. We are both extremely intelligent individuals. We just seem to miss the tiny detail that breaks your setup. If your keypair was successfully generated/uploaded you should be ok. Obviously you're not.

I'll jump out for some coffee to clear the air and come back to it later.

Good luck.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #14
aharrison
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: 30FF0A3B
Carrier: vzw

Don't forget about the change in Verisign behavior: https://www.verisign.com/domain-name.../dns-behavior/

If the glue records for your domain have a very high TTL, which is typical, then the NS records that are cached on other name servers will need to expire before it will pick up the registrar change. In the meantime, you'll be getting bitten by this behavior change because some name servers will be caching NS records for a host that is no longer authoritative for your domain.

And you should never, ever increase TTL's when transitioning registrars, hosting providers, etc. The longer the TTL, the longer other name servers will cache bad information. This is especially important with this new behavior with DNS. Yes, there is a possibility of taking a brief hit with no one claiming authority. Now, the risk of having bad information cached for long periods of time has far more potential to wreak havoc with this change by Verisign.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Hi aharrison,

Increasing the TTL in this particular case makes perfect sense because he doesn't modify the zones. He's just changing registrars. Actually i believe it's so commonly used that it might as well be under industry best practices.

It becomes an EXTREMELY stupid thing to do though if you're modifying anything in the zone. Then you're shooting yourself in the foot by forcing the world to cache for longer outdated information.
Closed Thread