Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
J86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Verizon pushing out icon for Bing

Please Login to Remove!

Am I the only one that is really annoyed Verizon is push out an icon to install Bing on BlackBerry Storms?

I was in the middle of a call when my Storm rebooted it's self. It's never done this so naturally I was thinking "WTF"! When it came back up, I had an icon to install Bing.

I under stand that have to make money or whatever, but come on :(
Old 11-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Murphy5111
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

I was annoyed when they pushed down facebook to my curve. I'd be less annoyed if they sent me an IM with the option to download something
Old 11-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
J86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Exactly. Even it they "preinstall" some software on devices, I can understand that. I just delete what I don't want and be on my way. But this whole pushing out stuff and remotely rebooting my phone is beyond annoying.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by J86 View Post
Exactly. Even it they "preinstall" some software on devices, I can understand that. I just delete what I don't want and be on my way. But this whole pushing out stuff and remotely rebooting my phone is beyond annoying.
It didn't remotely reboot your phone. The reboot was due to some other factor.
In fact, the reboot is what caused the Bing icon to be delivered. When your device re-registered on the network after the reboot, that's what triggered the delivery of the new service icon.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
J86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
It didn't remotely reboot your phone. The reboot was due to some other factor.
In fact, the reboot is what caused the Bing icon to be delivered. When your device re-registered on the network after the reboot, that's what triggered the delivery of the new service icon.
I don't really buy that considering my device has never rebooted its self in the months and months I have had it. And the fact that I had just rebooted it an hour or so before that when I changed the battery.

Last edited by J86; 11-02-2009 at 08:27 PM..
Old 11-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
I don't really buy that considering my device has never rebooted it's self in the months and months I have had it. And the face that I had just rebooted it an hour or so before that when I changed the battery.
OK. Believe what you want. It simply didn't happen the way you describe.

For starters, if you were in the middle of a phone call, then no data transfer is possible... which means no icon was delivered to your device during the call, and no mysterious reboot instruction was sent by Verizon.

Secondly, Service Books do not cause reboots. It just doesn't work that way.

Last edited by penguin3107; 11-02-2009 at 08:42 PM..
Old 11-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Smokey Joe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 308547B0

I agree with J86... mine rebooted and gave me the "My Verizon" icon.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I agree with J86... mine rebooted and gave me the "My Verizon" icon.
I understand that's what you believe to be the truth.
It reality, it's not.
The icon delivery was the result of the reboot... not the cause of it.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
J86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
I understand that's what you believe to be the truth.
It reality, it's not.
The icon delivery was the result of the reboot... not the cause of it.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #10
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
I'll tell you what... if you can explain to me how you were able to get any data transmitted to your device while you were on a phone call, then maybe I'll start to listen to your nonsense.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #11
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
\

Not very "friendly, nor helpful in assessing what might have been the true cause of your device to reboot.

So, why had you previously the hour before rebooted your device, what was happening?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #12
J86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
\

Not very "friendly, nor helpful in assessing what might have been the true cause of your device to reboot.

So, why had you previously the hour before rebooted your device, what was happening?
To change my battery.

Yeah, and penguin3107 is oh so friendly

Nevermid. There are plenty of other BlackBerry Forums around. I will move else where. It's really not that hard. People post question, you read them and respond if you have something helpful to add, or just move along to the next thread. No need to fricken second guess everything just because you believe you are right. It's the internet for god shake.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #13
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Moving back on topic.
I downloaded Bing when the icon appeared. I was having a memory leak problem, so I uninstalled it.
Now, when I try to install it again, it acts as though it is installed, but will not run.

Any ideas why this would happen?

By the way, my memory leak problem was the miqlive program from Best Buy.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #14
atuarre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbairdjr View Post
Moving back on topic.
I downloaded Bing when the icon appeared. I was having a memory leak problem, so I uninstalled it.
Now, when I try to install it again, it acts as though it is installed, but will not run.

Any ideas why this would happen?

By the way, my memory leak problem was the miqlive program from Best Buy.
AT&T pushes things out also.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #15
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Nevermid. There are plenty of other BlackBerry Forums around. I will move else where. It's really not that hard. People post question, you read them and respond if you have something helpful to add, or just move along to the next thread. No need to fricken second guess everything just because you believe you are right. It's the internet for god shake.
Hey J86, it was YOU who sent the reported post to all of the moderators complaining about how you were being treated. I get here to read it and see it's coming from yourself as well. Man up, or move on if you can't take the debate and discussion.

Personally, knowing a wee bit about BlackBerrys, I'll tell you, as well, it was not a pushed icon that rebooted your device.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #16
adorkable

PIN: Ask.

Quote:
I don't really buy that considering my device has never rebooted its self in the months and months I have had it. And the fact that I had just rebooted it an hour or so before that when I changed the battery.

Are you absolutely sure about that? It is very possible it may have rebooted once while you were sleeping or when you weren't actually using it.

Penguin is correct about the method of delivery, though. Any time I have ever had a new icon pushed by Verizon, including the new Bing one, it has always showed up after I have done a battery pull. Your random reboot was just a coincidence, and it's likely you changed your battery right before the Bing icon became available.

Last edited by adorkable; 11-03-2009 at 09:04 AM..
Old 11-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #17
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

Is it possible that during Verizon's initial attempt to push the software to the phone, some process was engaged that caused the phone to reboot?

I say this because after entering the world of betas, my Storm has evolved with regard to how it functions. After every OS upgrade my Storm picks up different characteristics. I think it is the result of leftovers from previous OS builds causing conflicts and/or certain applications reacting differently to the new OS build.

I think the answer is in the middle, however our fellow members are a little to irked by each other to consider it. I think some conflict within the phone somehow "inspired" a reboot during the course of the push. When the phone finished the reboot the icon appeared, which would cause one to logically consider the reboot was caused by the push. In essense it did, even though the push did not cause my phone to reboot.

Just my 2 cents.

Verizon 9530
Old 11-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #18
Kopter

Carrier: Verizon (BES)

yeah...reboot/no reboot/ whatever he said/she said/I said... yikes. The fact that VZW pushes an app/option to download an app is of little or no concern to me. Delete it or hide it or do what I do.. I have a folder i created called STUFF. Anything I am currently not using but don't want to delete goes right in there.
My question is this. I use Bing on my pc. I like it much more than google. I have yet to receive the push from VZW. I re registered, did a batt pull but still haven't received it. Should I just wait or is there a place to pick it up. And yes... I did a search here and on BING... couldn't find the app to download. I went to m.bing.com on my device and there is a link to download it but it links to the beta of LIVE SEARCH (which I already have).
Any ideas or should I just wait?
Thanks. Have a fantastic day!
Old 11-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #19
rwilliamtaylor
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopter View Post
yeah...reboot/no reboot/ whatever he said/she said/I said... yikes. The fact that VZW pushes an app/option to download an app is of little or no concern to me. Delete it or hide it or do what I do.. I have a folder i created called STUFF. Anything I am currently not using but don't want to delete goes right in there.
My question is this. I use Bing on my pc. I like it much more than google. I have yet to receive the push from VZW. I re registered, did a batt pull but still haven't received it. Should I just wait or is there a place to pick it up. And yes... I did a search here and on BING... couldn't find the app to download. I went to m.bing.com on my device and there is a link to download it but it links to the beta of LIVE SEARCH (which I already have).
Any ideas or should I just wait?
Thanks. Have a fantastic day!
I agree Kopter... I actually appreciate Verizon pushing new stuff to me. Some I keep... some I delete... what's the big deal?

BTW, The thing that causes more reboots than anything else for me is Bluetooth. I'm a big bluetooth user, handfree, broadband connect, Desktop manager, outlook sync, but it always seems to be during one of these tasks that I get a reset.

Was the original poster using a bluetooth headset on the call?

Also, the escalation of emotions between posters here reminds me of my children when they disagree.... get a grip and grow up guys.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #20
rta53

Model: Storm
Default Never got the Bing icon

I wonder if the pushing of this icon was a onetime event because I've not received it on my Storm and I reboot every day. Even with "show all" checked it still hasn't shown up.
Closed Thread