BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
njlondon

Model: 9780
Carrier: Bell
Default 9780 universal search does not search contacts--help please.

Please Login to Remove!

My universal search refuses to find text in the notes section of my Contacts.

I have opened Search Options and, yes, the Contacts and all others are enabled.

I have pulled the battery with no change.

I have searched the Forum and the web with no results.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile
Default Re: 9780 universal search does not search contacts--help please.

It will not find anything in the notes field in a universal search...so that would be normal.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 02-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
njlondon

Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It will not find anything in the notes field in a universal search...so that would be normal.
Very discouraging.

Is anyone aware of a method or third party application that can be used to search the Notes field in Contacts?

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
b_ohare
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
This frustrates me to no end. I can't even imagine why they would leave this out. [/rant]
Old 02-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
nobody7290

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

Search in contacts does not even work for the name of a city or street.
(and, in previous versions of the OS, this also did not work, so, it seems this is rather a limitation of the search in the address book feature - it is simply not searchable, then a problem of the universal search)

It is IMHO ridiculous that you cant search for an address/street/City etc. Why should I search if I know the name already - this is what a search is made for: You know a fraction of the information, and the search helps you to discover the rest.
Using the search for information you know already is a waste of time.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
chobbick

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

So, it turns out it is the new 6.0 Operating system’s universal search that does not allow you to search in memo bodies, contact notes, task notes, etc.

Good news is, there is an application you can purchase for $0.99 called “OldSearch – Old School Search as in OS5.0” from the BlackBerry App World that will give you access to the good old OS5.0 search you are used to.

App World is already installed on your phone. You will need to create an account in order to purchase the app. Here is the link to app world appworld.blackberry.com/webstore, click “register” to create an account.

After registering on the site, go to your phone > expand “All” and select “App World” > search for “oldsearch” > purchase and download.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
nobody7290

Mhm,
just bought this app, and, indeed, this is rather like the previous search.

Still, It wont find a Record in the addres book if I search for the city or other information.
Any other application which will do this ?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
ZombieBerry

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobbick View Post
So, it turns out it is the new 6.0 Operating system’s universal search that does not allow you to search in memo bodies, contact notes, task notes, etc.

Good news is, there is an application you can purchase for $0.99 called “OldSearch – Old School Search as in OS5.0” from the BlackBerry App World that will give you access to the good old OS5.0 search you are used to.

App World is already installed on your phone. You will need to create an account in order to purchase the app. Here is the link to app world appworld.blackberry.com/webstore, click “register” to create an account.

After registering on the site, go to your phone > expand “All” and select “App World” > search for “oldsearch” > purchase and download.
Memos and tasks are included when making a search.
All Contacts Name/number/email/address/recent activity/etc. It does search under company, so most of business contacts have full information when I save their various contact info. One of our main vendors is 'CBRE', I have about 35+ contacts for various employees around North America.
Music
video/pictures
ringtones
3rd party app search; poynt, youtube, fb, google
help/options/app world
bbm contacts and some 3rd party IM apps.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
ZombieBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody7290 View Post
Mhm,
just bought this app, and, indeed, this is rather like the previous search.

Still, It wont find a Record in the addres book if I search for the city or other information.
Any other application which will do this ?
What other information?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
nobody7290

Anything what is inside the addressbook:
city, street name, notes, everything.
Like I wrote above: why search, when you know the name of the person ?
Normally, when I need to search, I have only partial information availible, for example, I know that someone lives in town xyz, or, that I made a note containing abcde, or, his phone number contains 1234

If I have an address-book and a search, I would expect, that the search searches any field
Old 06-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
ZombieBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody7290 View Post
Anything what is inside the addressbook:
city, street name, notes, everything.
Like I wrote above: why search, when you know the name of the person ?
Normally, when I need to search, I have only partial information availible, for example, I know that someone lives in town xyz, or, that I made a note containing abcde, or, his phone number contains 1234

If I have an address-book and a search, I would expect, that the search searches any field
Yeah, I guess. I mean everything is integrated now, aside from an auto contact grabbers for blackberry (collects contact information directly from an email, usually from a signature) I am not sure there is a specific app that does what you need. Maybe a business card app, though I remember hearing about Sensobi Contacts (Free version) but they have a paid version as well. Maybe that is more of what you need. Cause it sounds like you need a more robust contact manager for your device as opposed to a universal search app.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #12
ipunk

Carrier: i am bussinesman

Quote:
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
hilliarm

Carrier: o2

If you are synced to gmail contacts you can search for a phone number or a part of a number and it finds the contact
Old 09-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #14
vrdave

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Fatal Flaw in BB Universal Search: Does not search notes in contacts - Bold 9900 OS7

I just took delivery of my beautiful new Blackberry Bold 9900 from T-Mobile. It is a great phone but it was a real pain to migrate my data from my old Curve 8900 - went up two tiers with Blackberry support.

That got solved but now the real disappointment is (like many others who have shared on this issue) that the Blackberry Universal Search that was released as part of the OS6 and the new OS7 does not include many datasets in its search. In contacts, it seems to only search the name fields.

Like many others, I have extensive notes and tags in the notes section of my BB contacts and without being able to search them, I'm kind of dead in the water. This is a positively bone-headed move by Blackberry, no doubt driven by the desire to speed up search.

I tried downloading the Google mobile search app and that also does include the notes section in its search though some of its documentation implies that it does.

Posts above refer to the 'Old Search - Old School Search,' app from QuiteSimple but that product does not show up in the BB App store if you're registered with a phone with OS7.

I emailed QuiteSimple today and got a prompt response:

>>Dear Vrdave,

We are working on the OS7.0 support. It will be ready probably at the end of September (2011).

Best regards,

QuiteSimple Support<<

If anyone has figured out a successful work-around, please let me know

Message to Blackberry: Put this mission critical feature back into search as part of your next update or risk losing customers at an even faster rate. I'm on the edge...

Last edited by vrdave; 09-09-2011 at 01:14 PM..
Closed Thread