Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
dcattran

Model: 7250
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Unhappy JVM Error 523

Please Login to Remove!

I have a 7250 from Bel Mobility. About two weeks ago when I rebooted it, it almost rebooted successfully, to the point where even the "Security Verification" was passed, then it went to a black screen with "JVM Error 523". I've tried everything I can think of to resolve the problem. I've re-loaded everything from three different versions of the OS, 4.0.something, and two different version of 4.1.

I got Bell to replace the handset, and guess what, it worked - until I had to reboot the handset then I was back to the same situation. Always the re-boot looks like it's about to succeed, then the error occurs. It has something to do with what it's receiving over the radio, as the failure occurs at different points, and it doesn't occur at all if the radio is off. (but then, not much of a BB, no?) I now have kind of a crippled system that works. I loaded the 4.0.x OS, which means that it can't complete activation (not compatible with our version of BES, I guess) however it is able to _receive_ mail, but not send it, and at least I can use it as a phone.

I contacted Bell, of course, and they say that they are aware of the issue, there are a number (undisclosed) of other customers who have the same issue, that RIM is aware of the issue and is working on it, but the issue has been open for weeks now, and they weren't able to commit to a timeframe for resolution.

I'm posting because I'm hoping to learn:

a) Are there others out there who are in the same boat, if so, is it only affecting 7250 handesets, only affecting Bell, or is it more widespread?

b) Has anyone heard any additional details about the situation and/or know anyone at RIM who might have some inside scoop on this?

c) Has anyone solved the problem and can identify what the issue is, or has a better workaround than I?

I did have some of the Google applications installed on the handset, including google maps, gmail and google talk, maybe there's a relationship there?

I wouldn't recommend rebooting your handset at this point to see if you have the same problem, as it seems to be a one-way trip.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Tigress63

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers
Default JVM Error 523

Hi,

I had this error on a 7130g (rogers). I was told to download the firmware but this didn't work either.

What did work was the following:

1. Turn off the Wireless. This will stop the JVM Error from launching as it's not communicating and getting the error from the server
2. Backup your device if you have anything critical. (We have a BES Server so I'm not concerned with restoring it from the backup, however, you may be able to get at least your contact list back and potentially your messages and calendar)
3. Wipe the device. (Options, Security Options, from Menu item - Wipe Handheld - type blackberry)
4. Once the device has gone through it's paces, turn the wireless on
5. Activate your account
If through BES do your enterprise actication
(Set the PIN number under Owner Info and then set your
activation password)
You'll have to phone your provider, if you can't remember how.
Your mail etc. should be on the server so you shouldn't need to go to your backup.
Closed Thread