Old 10-04-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
bbguy9900

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Globe
Default Bold 9900 and OS7 Issues

Please Login to Remove!

My issues on the Blackberry 9900:

1. Convenience Key -- why reduce to one convenience key from two? I'm extremely dependent on having two convenience keys. This is supposed to be a top-of-the-line business phone and I feel shortchanged by RIM.

2. Mute Button -- did RIM really have to locate this button between volume increase and decrease buttons? Surely I could retrain my muscles but it's a real hassle. I've accidentally hit the volume increase button several times since buying my unit when my intention was to mute.

3. Battery life -- extremely pathetic. As mentioned earlier, this is supposed to be a top-of-the-line business phone. I can't get thru the day with a midday recharge.

My issues on OS 7:

1. Calendar -- I was hoping RIM would correct this problem as I had the same complaint with OS6... I like being able to see as much of the day as possible. With OS6 and OS7, all I can see is 4 or 5 hours of the day at most. With OS5 and earlier versions, I could see 8 or 9 hours of the day meaning I could make do with less scrolling. In addition, when using daily "Daily View", do we really need the preview function when I highlight an existing appointment? Some may appreciate it this but I don't. It is like telling me the same thing twice and taking up very precious screen real estate. It would be great if I could turn this option off. When using the "Weekly View"... why are the hourly increments so huge? They don't contain any information on appointments... so graphically this could be reduce so we can see more hours of the week at a time. The preview function here would be appreciated as I highlight the block times to get details of the appointment.

2. Messages -- why did RIM remove the "Display Message Header On" option in OS7? This option (I would select "1 line") was great to have since I like to preview as many of my messages as possible. I understand many like to the "2 lines" option. RIM should have continued to give its users the flexibility to select their preference. Instead, the default is now "2 lines".
Old 10-04-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Bold 9900 and OS7 Issues

I miss the second convenience key too. I had it mapped to open Network Connections, for toggling WiFi on and off, etc. The placement of the mute button doesn't matter to me, but I can see how you get used to something and it's annoying when it's changed.

The battery life is an unfortunate compromise. They traded capacity for slimness. I emailed Seidio about their developing a larger capacity replacement and they said:

Hi Bob,

Thank you for contacting Seidioonline.com. We do have plans on releasing new accessories for the Blackberry 9900/9930 series, however we have not finalized plans for making an Extended Life Battery at this time. We will certainly forward your request to product development. If you would like to stay informed on future product releases for this device, we suggest periodically checking our online store, or you may sign up for email notifications by sending an email here: [email address]

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at 832-204-1118.

Thank you,
Customer Service

Seidio Customer Service

I'm not too happy about that as it means any solution by these guys is 6 months away at a minimum.

The message header situation is an unfortunate omission. Must have been a simple oversight as RIM rushed the 99xx/OS7 devices to market. I am operating under the assumption that this feature will be added back in an OS update. The calendar has always been lacking IMHO. I use the Agenda view and it's less than ideal but better than the alternatives. What I really want is a "grid view" that gives you the week-at-a-glance view like the old paper datebooks.

This was a Palm thing back in the Treo days. The 99xx screen would be perfect for showing this view. It happens to be ideal for my level of scheduling and gives me a feel for how my week is shaping up. I've been whining about this forever. Pocket Informant has an entire PIM replacement app that includes a calendar with this view but last time I tried it the layout was all wrong and they had not yet included customizability.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

But the K shortcut to lock the device is back!

Win some, lose some.

Actually, for me, I like the mute button placement. No strong feelings about the other issues, except I did switch from one line to two lines for email headers a while back, so I'm not put out there. But I do agree with rambo; I wouldn't be surprised to see that corrected with a future OS update.

And, yeah, battery life ain't what we have been used to with previous models. Blame all those non-BlackBerry users that RIM wants to sell to.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 10-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
But the K shortcut to lock the device is back!

Win some, lose some.

Actually, for me, I like the mute button placement. No strong feelings about the other issues, except I did switch from one line to two lines for email headers a while back, so I'm not put out there. But I do agree with rambo; I wouldn't be surprised to see that corrected with a future OS update.

And, yeah, battery life ain't what we have been used to with previous models. Blame all those non-BlackBerry users that RIM wants to sell to.
"K" doesn't work for me. I get the "Add Speed Dial" dialogue box.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Works for me! Just touch and not holding it.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

NJ beat me to it.

You have to wonder how something like that got dropped along the way.....At least I wonder. On purpose? Accident? Why do it on purpose? If not on purpose, then how does a mistake like that happen? Just curious. But I'm glad it's back.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

That "k" shortcut was great. Now I wish they'd give me back the 'A' speed dial!!!! If anyone from the RIM Co. is reading this, I want the A speed dial back now!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

That's another one I haven't understood.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:05 AM   #9
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Oh, Snap! It does work, as long as I don't mash and hold the key with my fat thumb! Thanks guys!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #10
wanshuhao
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9900
Carrier: at&t

Battery is the major problem with the new system and the phone.I need to charge my freaking phone every singal day...
Old 10-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Yes. That is not unusual with a) a new phone and b) a new OS.
I am positive it will get better over time. I bought a spare battery.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

Never had to before, but I did break down and buy a spare battery for my 9900. Hopefully we start to see some aftermarket extended bats soon.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
Preroll
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBerry View Post
Never had to before, but I did break down and buy a spare battery for my 9900. Hopefully we start to see some aftermarket extended bats soon.
I rotate three of them. One in the phone, a spare in my pocket, and the third charging at home in an external generic charger. Works for me! Hate the iPhone way running around with a cord all day looking for a plug of some kind.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #14
Preroll
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanshuhao View Post
Battery is the major problem with the new system and the phone.I need to charge my freaking phone every singal day...
I have found that keeping WiFi and Bluetooth OFF it has helped the battery performance but even by doing that and only making a few calls a day, I find I need to charge every day to every other day. If I make a lot of voice calls, then definitely a charge is needed by the end of the day.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #15
drwtsn32
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930

Just got a 9930 the other day. Battery life is great.

The reason I think they did away with the thin, single-line view in email or even the calendar is because it's a touch screen device. You need more room to tap. OS5's style would be wayyyy too difficult to navigate by touch.

I love how fast this thing is compared to my 9630!
Closed Thread