BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:13 AM   #1
giraffe

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile on an ATT phone
Default SHANANAGAINS - JPEGs go .REM whaaa???

Please Login to Remove!

ok, first off, yes ive read the thread similar to what this one will look like, but i hope more specific to my problem:

# .blackberryforums.com/general-8100-series-discussion-pearl/92924-pictures-jpg-rem.html

with that said, im pretty bent. any help would be awesome.

I currently have a BlackBerry 8300 v4.5.0.110 (Platform 2.7.0.90) with mdeia protection/encryption disabled. It used to be enabled and I transfered files off of it that were .rem. then i upgraded to the current software from whatever was current last July.

When upgrading the software on my BB the media card encryption got turned on. I prolly did it and forgot. my bad. Soooo i took a tonne of photos on a trip and turned off the BB and removed the mini SD card. Thennnn I put it into my card reader and coppied all of the weird IMG*.jpeg.rem files and then tried to open one. This was not the case in earlier transfers with my BB, odd, WTF?! unreadable?! not know what i know now... i kept all the files and decided to keep shooting and send them back directly when i got home. i did that and it was fine one by one, but, now i have a backlog of encrypted work- hundreds of photos that i cant read and copying them one by one is an option, but is what id like to avoid. i have a gig memory card FULL of photos that are now stuck in .rem land. BLAST! and there are so many photos that processing them one by one would be ridiculously time consuming.

<b>MY QUESTION:</b> Can i decrypt these .rem files (en masse)? If so how.

Last edited by giraffe; 01-19-2009 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8310; RammerJammer!)

So when did you upgrade the software? Was it an OS upgrade?
If I misread your post and yoi have not upgraded the OS, just place all the files back in the Media Card and turn off encryption and it is done.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
giraffe

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmobile on an ATT phone

JSanders, Hello

My brother just upgraded the OS for me but hes sleeping and didnt know the solution to this problem to i thought id do some research for him. I will post when i find out what the old version was, he upgraded it last on aug 6th so whatever software was current then, was prolly the old version. Anyhow- i reposted above with my current version.

The photos were taken before the upgrade and backed up just prior to the upgrade/reformat.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8310; RammerJammer!)

Well just put the Media Card back in the device and see if you can decrypt the images.
It honestly sounds like the encryption security is working correctly and as intended.
Good luck.

Last edited by JSanders; 01-19-2009 at 11:10 AM..
Old 01-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

I'm not sure if the older pictures will unencrypt ok, but if they do, one thing you can do is upload them to a picture website. I use
iTookThisOnMyPhone.com - Automatic Wireless Photo Upload

because it's free. Flickr for example has an upload limit on the free account. Those are the only two sites I know with a BB app. If you can find another, it might work as well.

It won't be a mass unencryption of the files, but with ittomp you can go into media and browse the pictures, hit the bb key and "Send to ITookThisOnMyPhone". Then while it's uploading it in the background, move to the next photo and repeat.

Not very elegant but much faster than the other methods of unencrypting such as copying the file to memory and back, sending via bluetooth, or emailing.

Later, go to the website and download the files to your PC. Make sure you set the upload location to a private album in the ittomp app, or they'll be displayed publicly until you change the status.

Last edited by monkeypaw; 01-19-2009 at 01:38 PM..
Old 01-22-2009, 04:09 AM   #6
NightFire
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular

Provided the encryption has now been turned off on your media card, you can e-mail them to yourself. Save the new file to your BlackBerry; the .rem extension will be gone.
Closed Thread