Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon
Default My Thoughts On The 9930

Please Login to Remove!

Yesterday afternoon I picked up a 9930 from Verizon on a new account. I raced back to the office and immediately updated the OS to 7.0.0.362 and then connected the device to Exchange. Once that completed, I added some other e-mail accounts and started checking out the phone. The battery didn't last all that long as I never charged it when I got it back to the office, so I didn't get much time with it before I had to plug it in. I let it sit overnight to charge.

This morning I got the phone and swapped it with my iPhone for my daily routine, although I still have the iPhone with me because I haven't (yet) ported my telephone number. I started my day by adding music to the 9930 and then got ready for work. While getting ready, I listened to music on the phone. Good sound (for a phone) and easy to navigate/shuffle my music. Worked as well for my purposes as the iPhone does.

Before I left the house, I connected my phone to my car and added a few phone book entries to the car (the car keeps a separate phone book for each phone connected). I hit the road and tested the phone. Caller ID didn't work quite right, as I expected (based on how the 9700 worked in the car). I turned off smart dialing on the phone and Caller ID worked properly at that point. Nice. Call quality through the car seemed good. The phone switched from 3G to 1x (something or other), but I'm new to Verizon so I don't know what that means. I need to read up on that in a bit.

Once I got to work I decided to set up my notification profile. Once I finished that, I start sending e-mails to myself to test the connection. The e-mail came through quickly, as expected, and the notification profile worked. Nice. I then began checking out the phone.

The first thing I have noticed is that the touchscreen coupled with the keyboard really makes for an excellent device, and I'm quickly getting used to using the touchscreen, the trackpad, and/or the keyboard depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. This is the device I had always wanted, and I'm thrilled to see that it works well for me.

It's not all roses, unfortunately. I have this feeling that WiFi isn't terribly strong on the device, although I haven't completely ruled out router issues at this point. I'm going to keep an eye on WiFi performance over the next week or so to see what happens. Additionally, I haven't formed an opinion yet regarding Verizon's coverage, although it looks like AT&T might have better coverage at my house. Again, a bit too early to call it, so I will keep an eye on this as well.

So there you have it. Roughly 24 hours with the phone and so far, so good (overall). I'm still deciding if I should stick with Verizon (which is starting to look like it will be more expensive per month for me) or stick with AT&T (which is slow to get the 9900 released). Decisions, decisions.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Default Re: My Thoughts On The 9930

The 3G to 1X is speed. Before the 3G craze a few years ago, the devices would say 1XEV and then drop to 1X. Basically when you see 1X you're on a slower bandwidth, basically 2.5G instead of 3G.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 09-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Hm... I think it said "1XEV" specifically. Is that the same thing as "1X"?

To the cloud!*

* By cloud, I mean I'm off to Google to see what I can uncover.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 09-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Strange. On first glance, 1XEV is 3G, and 1X is slower (EDGE, perhaps). What's odd is that right now, for example, the 9930 shows 3G. When I was in the car testing the connection, it also showed 3G until I connected the call, at which time it showed 1XEV. I ended the call a short time later, and noticed that the phone once again showed 3G. Might have been coincidence that it changed while I was on the phone, but if 1XEV is the same thing as 3G then why have both designations?

To the cloud some more!*

* See my previous post.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 09-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

I got my 9900 from T-Mo the day it was released and I'm loving this bad boy!

I don't have any issues with wifi and my signal strenght is always pretty good..

I only get edge speeds inside my pad but as soon as I step outside it jumps to 4G (no 4G here) which actually means 3G to me...

I had horrid coverage with Verizon and the iPhone 4.. Every call I made from inside resulted in a drop. I actually had to go sit outside to make a call.. VZW was also the most exspensive for me as well...
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 09-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
ifonline
Magic Bananas

I need to keep an eye on the coverage. AT&T isn't perfect, as I am guaranteed to drop a call when I'm on the interstate near the house over a stretch of about two miles or so. But it works at home. If Verizon is going to have sub-par performance in my house, that could be an issue.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 09-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Things I love about the 99xx:

-- It's fast! The processor scoots this bad boy along!
-- The browser now ROCKS!
-- The touchscreen! Its very responsive and spot on!
-- The keyboard! ::drool:: None better!

Things I like about the 99xx:

-- Device size to weight
-- OS7 is nice
-- Camera is OK
-- Speaker sounds good

Things I don't like about the 99xx:

-- Sleep key on top is to recessed
-- Battery could have been larger
-- SD card slot under batttery
-- App World! Just as bad as I remember it..

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by LunkHead; 09-27-2011 at 05:51 PM..
Old 09-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Yeah, App World is about a mess, but it works I suppose. I definitely agree about the browser... very, very nice. Surprising, in fact.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 09-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
Sydman
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I know this is a band aid on a problem that shouldn't exist but you could get the network extender for your house. I had to do that because the apartment complex I live in is a dead zone for Verizon. I told them it wasn't my fault they didn't get coverage here so they gave it to me for $100 instead of $300. That will get you full data and cell coverage anywhere in your home, and you can make it so only you can connect to it.

I wouldn't make the fact Verizon won't work in your house a reason to stray back to ATT, at least here in Austin I have never dropped a call while outside my apartment. Now I am sure coverage in your area might be different of course so it might be a moot point. Check with Verizon to see if they offer a discount for your employer, I get 25% off my main plan and data plan for working for the city. Or if you are prior military there might be a discount there as well.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 AM   #10
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Thanks for the tip. I have a discount with AT&T from a previous employer, and Verizon won't honor it since I no longer work there (I don't blame Verizon but I had to try). I am prior military (USMC), so I may call customer service and see if that might make a difference.

The extender is a possibility...

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 09-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
satoyutaka

any new os version update for verizon 9930?
Old 09-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Not with Verizon's seal of approval, but there are updates floating around out there. Check the sticky at the top of this forum for the latest version.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 09-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

At first I was longing for an option to turn off the touch screen feature, but after a week or two I love it. I guess I'm a luddite at heard because I still miss the thumbwheel of earlier BlackBerrys.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #14
ifonline
Magic Bananas

I know exactly what you mean regarding the thumbwheel. Scroll, scroll, scroll, click.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 12-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
GCC_user

PIN: N/A

I've had my 9930 (VZW) about a week and the biggest disappointment is the step backwards on the camera (I had a 9650). No autofocus what so ever. They give you a Close-up/macro option, but without autofocus its useless. I tend to take closeup photos of labels, and stuff on my desk. Then send the image to someone for confirmation. I can't take any pictures in focus now unless I stand back 3ft or so...arrrrggghhhhh! Can't wait until my company decides to go iPhone or Android device now.

8830 world ed
4.2.2.196 (platform 3.0.0.84)
Closed Thread