Old 02-01-2006, 08:08 PM   #1
StevePR104

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default So what happens...

Please Login to Remove!

Hi folks:
First time poster with a "what if" question:

If the judge rules in NTP's favor and orders a BlackBerry shutdown, will my device still function as a phone? And have any service providers (e.g., T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular, etc.) indicated whether they will refund the data portion of my bill?

I've been dialing different providers, and the lack of knowledge on this thing is beyond amazing. I've had CSRs tell me the injunction would only mean that RIM could no longer manufacture BlackBerries, or "that's a good question. I don't know."

Anyhoo...if anybody has concrete information, I'd appreciate it. Lord knows, there's enough speculation out there. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-01-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

It would still work as a fund. No service providers, to my knowledge, have taken a stance in light of the potential negatives and continue to sell the service and device as if there were no concerns - our TMO rep has been pretty pro-corporate-model when it comes to asking for an opinion on the matter.

Most lower-tier CSRs for major providers (the ones you are questioning) are out-sourced through specialized in-bound telecommunications companies - this is why it is often hard to get escalated for simply a question, to be perfectly honest. The injunction is still up for a hearing, and to my knowledge, the details of what would be granted versus what is being requested are two different matters. NTP has requested an injunction (ban) on all sales and service for non-government users and critical first responders (9-1-1, etc). RIM has outcried that any injunction granted, if it were to come to that, should not have any effect on current customers ... but that is only their wishes and opinion.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
StevePR104

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Update from WSJ

Well, I've found some of my answer in the WSJ (25 Jan 06):

"Since BlackBerry handsets run only the BlackBerry operating system, users wouldn't have access to other corporate email programs in the event of a service shutdown. But the device wouldn't be totally useless. The phone part, along with text messaging, may still work, analysts say."

Beyond that, however, the wireless companies are taking an ostrich approach to this entire thing...at least in public. They simply pretend the problem doesn't exist, leaving their CSRs (either on the phone or in person) to muddle their way through any questions on the topic, either spewing outright misstatements (I hesitate to call them lies), or shrugging their shoulders. This is a failure of corporate marketing.

The end result is I'm still going to buy my BlackBerry...but I'm going in with eyes wide open...and far more informed than the people in the stores with whom I deal.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-02-2006, 12:16 AM   #4
emale
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

I honestly firmly believe no impact to end users will ever come of this other than better/increased competitivness in the market. I feel this will be postive for all players as sales continue strong for all the players with RIM maintaining the lead for some time to come, I also believe RIM will continue to be a larger and larger player in the hardware market, the 8700 is an awesome device and selling well i believe and better is only sure to come from RIM
Old 02-02-2006, 03:40 PM   #5
SAC

Model: 7250

I am privy (sp?) to political legislators/lobbyist etc... in D.C. and I can tell you that most people on the hill use Blackberry. If it was ever to see the day that stoppage occurs you'd see a bunch of pissed off legislators that would react in some fashion.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:57 PM   #6
murpheous
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAC
I am privy (sp?) to political legislators/lobbyist etc... in D.C. and I can tell you that most people on the hill use Blackberry. If it was ever to see the day that stoppage occurs you'd see a bunch of pissed off legislators that would react in some fashion.
Through out this whole ordeal, they have made it pretty clear that Govt employees would not be shut down.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by murpheous
Through out this whole ordeal, they have made it pretty clear that Govt employees would not be shut down.
To my knowledge, lobbyists aren't government employees. They are private-sector contractors (aka political whizbombs) who reside in DC full-time, pretty much. Big firm lobbyists make much, MUCH more money than the government employees they interface with (as far as base salaries are concerned, in most cases).
Old 02-02-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
murpheous
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

ahh, i just skimmed over what he wrote. Didn't see the lobbyist part.
Closed Thread