GFBzxc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AIS
Question How to remove / rest the MSISDN #

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,
My phone is a Tour 9630 Unlocked was originally on Sprint.
When I am on the "Dial" screen..(Press the green handset) At the top, it lists "My Number" as the original US Sprint tel #.
Further, if I run a Diagnostics (Manage Connections>Mobil network options>Diagnostics, the generated report contains the line
MSISDN : 770 xxx xxxx (The original phone #)

And Yes, I have "Edited my SIM .. and other methods to try and re set this #.
and now I st the phone options to not display my number, so it hides it, and the my number field is blank,,,... but it is Still there. unchanged.
I read in one forum, i would need the unlock code form Sprint to remove this.. I have all unlock codes MEP 1 thru MEP 4 and all security levels are Disabled.

Sprint has No idea what I am even talking about when I speak (or e-mail them)
[What a laugh I get at some of their e-mail replies.. it is just too funny]

I have been told, never mind, doesn't hurt anything bla bla bla ...
However, This particular model Blackberry is having difficulties and is "quirky" on the Thai Service provider networks. The fact that this Tel # seems 'Hard coded into the phone, has me curious if removing re-setting it would assist in eliminating other issues.

So that is the Why behind wanting it put right.
Does anyone have a solution or Idea?

Thanks

GB
Old 07-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Default Re: How to remove / rest the MSISDN #

You need to modify it in the CDMA programming area. However, you will need the 6-digit MSL for the device in order to access that menu, which Sprint won't give you. Unlike Verizon, the other main CDMA provider in the USA, Sprint changes their MSL to something other than 000000 during initial device programming.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
GFBzxc

Thumbs up Re: How to remove / rest the MSISDN #

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
You need to modify it in the CDMA programming area. However, you will need the 6-digit MSL for the device in order to access that menu, which Sprint won't give you. Unlike Verizon, the other main CDMA provider in the USA, Sprint changes their MSL to something other than 000000 during initial device programming.
Wow Thanks Boo Coo!
Ok, so perhaps.. Maybe.. I can ask sprint for this code, now that I know (Thanks to your ) What I am Asking for.
Or the other plausibility is to see if there is a code generator out there for this code also.

Thank you this was acurate and clear for me !

Could I impose to ask if you know the procedure to follow should I obtain this MSL code? or could you point me to a link?

Very Grateful
gb
Old 07-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBzxc View Post
Wow Thanks Boo Coo!
Ok, so perhaps.. Maybe.. I can ask sprint for this code, now that I know (Thanks to your ) What I am Asking for.
Or the other plausibility is to see if there is a code generator out there for this code also.

Thank you this was acurate and clear for me !

Could I impose to ask if you know the procedure to follow should I obtain this MSL code? or could you point me to a link?

Very Grateful
gb
The issue is that they won't give you the code as you're not a Sprint customer. Even if you were, the only reason they would give it to you is if they needed you to manually program something.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
GFBzxc

Thanks again.
Rather "petty" of them .. but I guess they have reasons..
I will keep looking , there may be something out there.. and again, in time, the system in Thailand may work it self out.. or in time I will up grade to a BB 10 !
gb
Old 07-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

The only suggestion I have for you to try is the last 6 digits of the shown next to "My Number".
Old 07-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
GFBzxc

Further to the above,
I spoke with Sprint,.. and after some run around with persons who did not know and tried to fake it, I did manage to get a knowledgeable person on the line who explained to me.. thay as the phone was not activated on a Sprint network, they could not even reach the phone directly for their system to generate the MSL code for this unit/device.

Perhaps he is selling me a bit of goods, but I guess it is plausible that as supposedly they cannot communicate with the phone, they cannot generate the MSL code..

Or he could be snowing me.. but it makes some sense.. I think. Sooo off to find a solution elsewhere if one exists
Old 07-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Further to the above,
I spoke with Sprint,.. and after some run around with persons who did not know and tried to fake it, I did manage to get a knowledgeable person on the line who explained to me.. thay as the phone was not activated on a Sprint network, they could not even reach the phone directly for their system to generate the MSL code for this unit/device.

Perhaps he is selling me a bit of goods, but I guess it is plausible that as supposedly they cannot communicate with the phone, they cannot generate the MSL code..

Or he could be snowing me.. but it makes some sense.. I think. Sooo off to find a solution elsewhere if one exists
They were blowing smoke up your ass. The MSL is generated during the initial activation of the device, so it should not be any different than it was when it was on Sprint's network. They don't need to reach the device to know the MSL, but since there is no active account for the MEID of the device, then they have nothing to check against for the MSL.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
GFBzxc

Well I got Hosed by this guy.. Why would they play these games..
My reasons for the code are legit.. I am in Thailand and the phone (until I was gifted it by my relative) was inactive , he traded to an Ipnoe over 2 years ago. + it was purchased as "Un-locked"..
No sense venting at you..sorry.
As much as I loath Govt, This seems like a Violation of FTC.

Well Thanks, I will try again and maybe get a different rep.. more sympathetic

Thanks
GB
Old 07-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
GFBzxc

Quote:
They were blowing smoke up your ass. The MSL is generated during the initial activation of the device, so it should not be any different than it was when it was on Sprint's network. They don't need to reach the device to know the MSL, but since there is no active account for the MEID of the device, then they have nothing to check against for the MSL.
After thinking a moment, are you saying they Do have access to the MSL, but are stone walling me? .. maybe because it is in the manual, step a step b dada ? And if I provide the IMEI or other codes from the device They do have the capability to look it up and give it to me?
If so, I will continue to battle them; if they cannot provide it technically, I will let it go as far as Sprint is concerned... or maybe not as this is just Wrong!
Old 07-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Sprint has no obligation to give you the code.

Go online and purchase the SPC or MSL code from a vendor.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post

Exactly. They will only give it out if you are an active Sprint customer and then only for very specific reasons. I'm not aware of any vendors that offer the MSL.

Quote:
Well I got Hosed by this guy.. Why would they play these games..
My reasons for the code are legit.. I am in Thailand and the phone (until I was gifted it by my relative) was inactive , he traded to an Ipnoe over 2 years ago. + it was purchased as "Un-locked"..
No sense venting at you..sorry.
As much as I loath Govt, This seems like a Violation of FTC.

Well Thanks, I will try again and maybe get a different rep.. more sympathetic

Thanks
GB
Quote:
After thinking a moment, are you saying they Do have access to the MSL, but are stone walling me? .. maybe because it is in the manual, step a step b dada ? And if I provide the IMEI or other codes from the device They do have the capability to look it up and give it to me?
If so, I will continue to battle them; if they cannot provide it technically, I will let it go as far as Sprint is concerned... or maybe not as this is just Wrong!
They have it, but the computer system won't allow them to retrieve it as you are not a Sprint customer. It's that simple unfortunately for you.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:41 AM   #13
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Exactly. They will only give it out if you are an active Sprint customer and then only for very specific reasons. I'm not aware of any vendors that offer the MSL.
Now Available: Sprint 9650 MSL Unlock Codes - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
Old 07-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

I'd be very leery of that.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #15
GFBzxc

Quote:
I'd be very leery of that.
Also Thanks Motor Cycle Moma for the link to Crackberry site.
On the link to the vendor for unlock code, I will first research him and then most likely invest the 15 $

I followed another different thread on Crackberry and discovered how to obtain the MEID codes Free,.. my phone was already unlocked, but the method posted on Crackberry Did provide the 5 MEID codes. This I believe is for the GSM side of the phone.. The MSL code we are talking about here is for the CDMA side of this model BB...

Thanks all

Garvin
Old 07-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #16
GFBzxc

Question Re: How to remove / rest the MSISDN #

Quote:

Thanks,

I followed this advice and received the SPC code /MSL Code I ( believe these are the same?)
At the Dial screen, pressed ##xxxxxx[SEND] and the CDMA Service Edit Screen was revealed . I edited the first # (Mobile directory # and the next # the IMSI_S: to my correct mobile Tel #.Further under the seciton

A-Key:
I edited out the incorrect e-mail address listed to my correct e-mail address.
Pressed the MENU key and Saved, the phone re-booted and all was as it should be.. with the # corrected.
I noticed some other things in this screen such as

Mobil Country Code : 310
Mobile Network Code: 00
Home SID: 4139
Home NID: 6553

And
Blackberry Registration ID: 4139

Where could I find an explanation or this screen and how to use it? / what these settings do? Google has not produced usefull information as of yet..

I ask this out of More than just curiosity ; I live in Thailand and the phone was from the USA, Sprint. Thailand has some "Quirkey" things happening with their networks just now involving CDMA and GSM changes they are making / rolling out. SO I wondered if these settings need editing? ex: the 'Mobil Country Code' ?

And, another question....
Just because I have my SPC code and have used it, Is the CDMA side of this BB 9630 now "Unlocked" OR is does their remain a setting I must adjust?.....
As in the GSM side, to unlock it, I must once having entered the "Codes" set sercurity levels to OFF or Disabled.
Thanks
GB
Old 07-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #17
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

You can't "unlock" the CDMA side. It's up to the CDMA service provider to determine whether or not they will allow a device from a different carrier to be activated on their network. The MSL/SPC code doesn't have anything to do with it.

For the GSM side, the place where you determine whether or not it is unlocked is not on the Security page. You would need to go to the SIM Card page, type in mepd and see what it reads next to "Network". If it reads "Disabled" or "Inactive", then it is unlocked.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #18
GFBzxc

Quote:
You can't "unlock" the CDMA side. It's up to the CDMA service provider to determine whether or not they will allow a device from a different carrier to be activated on their network. The MSL/SPC code doesn't have anything to do with it.
So, there is nothing I can edit in the CDMA side of the Phone / device itself that would remove any link to the "Original" Service Provider Sprint?
And remove any reference to Sprint from my Device? ( As I edited my correct phone # to replace the original US #.)

And there is nothing "Blocking my current service provider (AIS Thailand) from sending Their CDMA codes / set ups to my phone .. ie Mobil Country code, ..Home SID : xxxx
etc.
Ok Thanks.

[/QUOTE]For the GSM side, the place where you determine whether or not it is unlocked is not on the Security page. You would need to go to the SIM Card page, type in mepd and see what it reads next to "Network". If it reads "Disabled" or "Inactive", then it is unlocked.[/QUOTE]

Correct, and on the SIM Card page, after typing MEPD , The Top of the Page has

SIM Card Security Disabled

And on the screen After Personalization:
All the items below show Disabled ie:
SIM Disabled
Network Disabled
etc.

Thanks..
Appreciate the help.
GB
Closed Thread