Old 12-29-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
uberalles

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Smile Blackberry curve 8520 asking for a password

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everybody.

I foolishly put my Blackberry curve 8520 into my pocket without locking the keypad.

Now, when I try to unlock my keypad the device asks for a password and I have no idea what it is as I have never set one. I am at attempt number 8 out of 10, the device states.

I do know the unlock code, but not a password, can somebody please help?

The phone sim is still active, I send myself texts from another phone and it shows the icon to say the text is waiting, I simply just cannot get past the password.

Thank you very much indeed for any help.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Blackberry curve 8520 asking for a password

Sorry, there's nothing you can do to bypass the password.
After being entered wrong 10 times, the device will wipe itself of all personal information, email, contacts, calendar, etc.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
uberalles

Smile Re: Blackberry curve 8520 asking for a password

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Sorry, there's nothing you can do to bypass the password.
After being entered wrong 10 times, the device will wipe itself of all personal information, email, contacts, calendar, etc.
Hello JSanders

Thank you very much indeed for a prompt response.

I still have 3 attempts out of 10 left on the password but I just do not know it. Is there a way to find it?

If not then I am not too concerned about losing all the personal information, but do you know how I can get the phone to work again?

Thank you .
Old 12-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

If you don't recall the password, there is no way to find it. The device will work once it is wiped of data.

However, please do not be offended by this, but I find it very difficult to believe that you put the device in your pocket and all of a sudden it became password protected.

We see this a lot on the board, someone finds a BB, it is password protected, and they come on here with their first post asking how to defeat the security. In just in case, you happened to actually find the device, maybe try to return it to the rightful owner ?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

What the others have said, plus setting a password is not a trivial procedure that can be done by accident.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
uberalles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
If you don't recall the password, there is no way to find it. The device will work once it is wiped of data.

However, please do not be offended by this, but I find it very difficult to believe that you put the device in your pocket and all of a sudden it became password protected.

We see this a lot on the board, someone finds a BB, it is password protected, and they come on here with their first post asking how to defeat the security. In just in case, you happened to actually find the device, maybe try to return it to the rightful owner ?
Hello Dubdub

First of all I appreciate you took the time to respond.

I am slightly offended but at the same time do fully appreciate your concerns. All I can say is I can 100% guarantee that I am genuine. If there is any way you can think of to test my validity then please feel free, I will comply.

The reason this is my first post is that I called my supplier who are Vodafone UK and they told me of this website.

I have never had need to use the site previously, or even look for it , as I have been using a Nokia 5800, which incidentally is not a patch on the BB.
I bought the BB as a gift for my nephew, he decided to throw my goodwill in my face, so I opted to use the BB instead.

I'm not certain if the BB "all of a sudden it became password protected ", my nephew may have added a password but I have not seen him since June 2010 and have no contact with him.
The password prompt was there after I took the phone out of my trouser pocket, I have no idea how it came up.

All that said, I think you are suggesting that the phone needs to be wiped and reset. Am I correct?
If so, please can you tell me where there is a thread suggesting how I can do this, I would be very grateful.
Should I do that, can I be sure that the codes, eg the keycode lock, for example, will be wiped too. If so, I can reset those.

Thank you very much again in anticipation.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

uberalles, are you saying the device worked fine without a password BEFORE you put in your trouser pocket? There was no password requirement before?

So if you want the BlackBerry to work again, as stated, just enter the wrong password three more times. Voila, it will work again, and the password will be clear.

Or call your nephew and ask him the password.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
uberalles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
uberalles, are you saying the device worked fine without a password BEFORE you put in your trouser pocket? There was no password requirement before?

So if you want the BlackBerry to work again, as stated, just enter the wrong password three more times. Voila, it will work again, and the password will be clear.

Or call your nephew and ask him the password.
Hello JSanders

thank you, you are correct in your assumptions.

Unfortunately my nephew and I are no longer in contact, I do not have his number, the only number I had was the number I got for him, for the BB, which I now have.

I thought your suggestion was to purposely fail the password until it resets so thank you for clarifying that. I am going to do it now.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberalles View Post
Hello Dubdub

I am slightly offended but at the same time do fully appreciate your concerns. All I can say is I can 100% guarantee that I am genuine. If there is any way you can think of to test my validity then please feel free, I will comply.
If you only knew how many times this question is asked by someone who found a BB and was attempting to use it, you would understand my response.

I think JSanders has answered your other questions.

Good luck.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

... and how many times the nephew or the grandson or the neighbor kid set the password and doesn't know what he entered...

BlackBerry rules to live by:

1. Nobody touches the BlackBerry but you, no exceptions.

2. Set your own password anyway, with an appropriate time out for the environment, and never leave the BlackBerry unlocked and unattended.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
uberalles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
If you only knew how many times this question is asked by someone who found a BB and was attempting to use it, you would understand my response.

I think JSanders has answered your other questions.

Good luck.
Dubdub,
I do understand why you said what you said but perhaps there are more tactful ways of putting across your point. But hey, that's all done now.
Thank you for your help and your kind closing sentiments.

JSanders,
A big big thank you to you. I'm back working, with much of my information saved because of previous saving to media cards or the sim.

You are a star, thank you.

I think this website is brilliant, it appears there is so much I can learn, great new year to you all
Old 12-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

You're welcome, come back again and learn.

And we all have to have very thin skin around here. Often the written word seems more harsh than intended, and there are times we're very careful to inquire about details of a user's situation.
Closed Thread